HELP!! VERY LOUD fan (Windforce GTX 1080)

Hey guys!

So I had this Gigabyte Windforce 1080 GPU since november, but recently I started having weird issues. When running 2 games at a time (in this case Battlerite in the background, and was playing some Getting Over It) not really demanding games, I constantly had these waves of fan brutally spinning (I believe it is the GPU). First time it really scared me, in the video it may not sound very loud, but in reality it sounds like it's going to blow up. It's insane, and I really don't know what should I do. As you can see the GPU is not overheated or anything, its temperature is just fine, and I think it shouldn't behave like this. I am really really worried. As soon as I close the game, it completely stops, until I start some games again, then after a little time it starts all over again. But I repeat, NOT every time, which is really confusing...

Here is the video (Sound on please) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5mRL0j3XOM

Any suggestions if I should be worried or not?

EDIT: I just closed all games, and just started overwatch. Without entering any match, within 2 minutes, the waves of the fan spinning started to come again. Althought I switched to Silent fans in the Gigabyte Gaming Engine. Why the hell is this happening?

At 47°C your gpu fans don't even turn on, so my guess is that the sound comes from the awfull intel stock cpu cooler. Either get a better cooler or set a custom fan curve so it doesn't get so loud at only 50°C. 

Just now, MkaiL said:

At 47°C your gpu fans don't even turn on, so my guess is that the sound comes from the awfull intel stock cpu cooler. Either get a better cooler or set a custom fan curve so it doesn't get so loud at only 50°C. 

I have my PC since a year and a half, and I didn't hear anything like this with my gtx 950. Are you sure that the little fan can do such sound? Also I checked in Gigabyte Gaming Engine, and fans indeed are at high RPM. Around 2000 sometimes.

If that is the case, you might have to change the gpu fan curve. Pascal cards usually don't turn their fans on until they hit 55-60°C. You might have changed to preset fan curve to performance or something (not familiar with the gigabyte software). Mine ramps up after 60°C but never gets this loud, even with max settings. 

2 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

If that is the case, you might have to change the gpu fan curve. Pascal cards usually don't turn their fans on until they hit 55-60°C. You might have changed to preset fan curve to performance or something (not familiar with the gigabyte software). Mine ramps up after 60°C and but never gets this loud, even with max settings. 

I'm getting more and more angry. Check this out please:

https://imgur.com/a/pq4qk

I hear NOTHING right now. What the heck is going on, and why my GPU is at 67 degrees when I'm only running OW in the freakin background.

I would check the fan curves of the cpu cooler and case fans in the bios. In your video, your gpu stays at 47°C but your cpu goes from 52 to 51°C just as the fan starts slowing down. Keep in mind that since the upgrade from a 950, your pc temps in general are higher because the gpu outputs more heat to the rest of the system.

21 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

I'm getting more and more angry. Check this out please:

https://imgur.com/a/pq4qk

I hear NOTHING right now. What the heck is going on, and why my GPU is at 67 degrees when I'm only running OW in the freakin background.

The problem is probably this fan curve. As soon as it hits 50C, your gpu jumps to 40%. The waves you hear are because the curve increases after 50C instead of a straight horizontal line.

What do you mean by I hear nothing? No fan noise at 67C?

10 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

The problem is probably this fan curve. As soon as it hits 50C, your gpu jumps to 40%. The waves you hear are because the curve increases after 50C instead of a straight horizontal line.

What do you mean by I hear nothing? No fan noise at 67C?

Umm., yea at 67C , and even at 82 (was playing OW now) I hear the same fan sound as when I'm not playing anything at all. Not sure why's that. Is that even normal to have 82C when in-game? Like I said this intense fan spinning is so random that I played for like 20 minutes now, and nothing happened.

14 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Thought these built-in settings supposed to be okay. Not sure how, and what to change now.. But my opinion is that this still  shouldn't have happened, and it's not normal.

2 hours ago, Kranolf said:

Hey guys!

So I had this Gigabyte Windforce 1080 GPU since november, but recently I started having weird issues. When running 2 games at a time (in this case Battlerite in the background, and was playing some Getting Over It) not really demanding games, I constantly had these waves of fan brutally spinning (I believe it is the GPU). First time it really scared me, in the video it may not sound very loud, but in reality it sounds like it's going to blow up. It's insane, and I really don't know what should I do. As you can see the GPU is not overheated or anything, its temperature is just fine, and I think it shouldn't behave like this. I am really really worried. As soon as I close the game, it completely stops, until I start some games again, then after a little time it starts all over again. But I repeat, NOT every time, which is really confusing...

Here is the video (Sound on please) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5mRL0j3XOM

Any suggestions if I should be worried or not?

EDIT: I just closed all games, and just started overwatch. Without entering any match, within 2 minutes, the waves of the fan spinning started to come again. Althought I switched to Silent fans in the Gigabyte Gaming Engine. Why the hell is this happening?

I had a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 and the three fan designed used Windforce tech and in my opinion this sounded normal?  I say this because the card was just loud and sounded like a hair dryer when blowing.  I would check the fan curve and RPMS but again I think this is normal.  I switched to a EVGA SC ACX and find the card to be a hair hotter but more quiet in most conditions 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

5 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

I had a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 and the three fan designed used Windforce tech and in my opinion this sounded normal?  I say this because the card was just loud and sounded like a hair dryer when blowing.  I would check the fan curve and RPMS but again I think this is normal.  I switched to a EVGA SC ACX and find the card to be a hair hotter but more quiet in most conditions 

How much Celsius did u have when playing with the EVGA? 

Also mine is okay now, been playing for hours and so far nothing happened. So this is why I think it is not normal..

25 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

How much Celsius did u have when playing with the EVGA? 

Also mine is okay now, been playing for hours and so far nothing happened. So this is why I think it is not normal..

I will say my system is a prebuilt Brix w/ terrible fans and airflow so things get toasty and loud regardless of card, but while gaming on PUBG or any other semi demanding game my GPU was at 75+ degrees.  

if this is something that happens periodically at lower temps than maybe RMA it, but your video is almost spot on how my card acted for the majority of the time 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

4 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

I will say my system is a prebuilt Brix w/ terrible fans and airflow so things get toasty and loud regardless of card, but while gaming on PUBG or any other semi demanding game my GPU was at 75+ degrees.  

if this is something that happens periodically at lower temps than maybe RMA it, but your video is almost spot on how my card acted for the majority of the time 

Really not sure what to do. I can't just return it sadly, because it is from the US. Anyways, my other parts of the PC are quite bad, so I will change mobo, rams this year and I'll see how it acts then. If this problem persists, I'll just sell it and buy a new one, from another manufacturer..

Have you tried not using Gigabyte Gaming Engine?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried not using Gigabyte Gaming Engine?

I didn't have any problem for a month or so. But yea this one is starting up automatically. I also have msi afterburner.

10 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

I didn't have any problem for a month or so. But yea this one is starting up automatically. I also have msi afterburner.

You shouldn't use more than one fan control software or it could cause conflicts. I'd suggest only using Afterburner. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

You shouldn't use more than one fan control software or it could cause conflicts. I'd suggest only using Afterburner. 

Yea that's what I'm doing right now, uninstalling gigabyte.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 11:14 AM, WoodenMarker said:

I've been using only one since then, it was okay though I didn't really play too much. But now I entered overwatch (battlerite was running in thebackground) and I had that extraloud sound again, for like 3-4 seconds, then it stopped. AND I WAS JUST BROWSING IN THE MAIN MENU! What the hell?

10 hours ago, Kranolf said:

I've been using only one since then, it was okay though I didn't really play too much. But now I entered overwatch (battlerite was running in thebackground) and I had that extraloud sound again, for like 3-4 seconds, then it stopped. AND I WAS JUST BROWSING IN THE MAIN MENU! What the hell?

What kind of sound was it and what was it coming from? If it's a high pitched screech or buzz, it could be coil whine. It could also be a hdd spinning up if you're loading the game from it.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What kind of sound was it and what was it coming from? If it's a high pitched screech or buzz, it could be coil whine. It could also be a hdd spinning up if you're loading the game from it.

Here, this one. It mentioned it in the thread. But this time it was shorter, like 2 seconds, then going down, then up again for 2 seconds then down, and after that it was oka.

That sounds like the graphics card fans although it could be any fan.

Are you using a custom fan curve in Msi Afterburner?

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I've been using the basic one, but it was good for more than a month. I really don't know what happened there. :( But I am really scared that my GPU is faulty.

Anyways, I am going to built a completely new PC (Except GPU ofc) and will see if it happens in that. Hopefully not, and I can use it for a couple years.

On 1/14/2018 at 11:57 AM, WoodenMarker said:

I've tried doing a custom fan profile, using MSI Afterburner. I've also checked HWMonitor to see how Fans behave. I thought it is working because I set it to be 0 RPM until 50-60 celsius, and it was silent. Then I tried using high RPM at lower temps and it became noisy. I was like yea this finally works. Then I started a Fortnite match, after a couple minutes fans were spinning like crazy, then they stopped. Then they started it again, and even at this moment they are still spinning damn crazy, and I have no idea why because I even finished my game, GPU is at 60 celsius, and HWMonitor says the fans are at 0 RPM. What is happening?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME:(

8 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

I've tried doing a custom fan profile, using MSI Afterburner. I've also checked HWMonitor to see how Fans behave. I thought it is working because I set it to be 0 RPM until 50-60 celsius, and it was silent. Then I tried using high RPM at lower temps and it became noisy. I was like yea this finally works. Then I started a Fortnite match, after a couple minutes fans were spinning like crazy, then they stopped. Then they started it again, and even at this moment they are still spinning damn crazy, and I have no idea why because I even finished my game, GPU is at 60 celsius, and HWMonitor says the fans are at 0 RPM. What is happening?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME:(

So.. Nvidia Drivers get updated every month or so... maybe a bug..
As silly of a FIX this would seem.... try uninstalling all related GPU software inc Gigabyte/NvDrivers, and start over from fresh recreating all thats needed.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

6 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

So.. Nvidia Drivers get updated every month or so... maybe a bug..
As silly of a FIX this would seem.... try uninstalling all related GPU software inc Gigabyte/NvDrivers, and start over from fresh recreating all thats needed.

I'm afraid I've I've tried those things already if I'm right, forgot the name of that driver uninstall program. It's really weird that when the GPU is 70 celsius, and fans were quiet, HWMonitor said fans are at 2800 RPM, now that GPU is idle and in 50 celsius, HWMonitor it says 0 RPM, BUT fans are spinning at max speed again. Eventually they would stop after a few minutes.