AIO cooler backplate problem

Happy new year everyone!

So this is a weird problem, I had to get another motherboard for my system, because of a weird compatibility issue my motherboard had with the gpu.

The problem i encountered this time is that I cannot for the life of me remove the backplate that came with the AIO cooler, it is stuck to the old motherboard. I used the corsair h55 to cool my fx-8320, but the cooler was not installed by me. However, the guy who installed it used the included backplate corsair provides for this cooler. I tried using quite a bit of force, but it won't come off, it seems that the sticky pads are too strong. I am worried that I will damage my old motherboard if I use any more force that I already use, which I'd like to avoid ideally, so I can recoup some of the new motherboard cost...

If I cannot take the backplate off, how can I reinstall the cooler on the new motherboard?

I was thinking of using the metal am3 backplate that comes with the motherboard, and just not remove the plastic pad from it, but I cannot find any information on the internet if that is safe, even for a little, while I can contact corsair to get another replacement backplate...

Tough question, and there alot of factors to take in.

Does the screws for your H55 fit in and screw correctly to your metal AM3 back plate?

If it does, then you can get away with your metal back plate. If not then you want the backplate that provided with your H55.

I know this works on some Corsair AIO coolers (as I done it myself a number of times), mostly more recently sold units as the changed thew screws out on most of their models for this purpose. Some of the older batches don't work as the threads are different. 

As for getting off the old backplate; if its help in with some adhesive use a hair dryer and see if you could soften up the glue.

On 3/1/2018 at 7:51 PM, Dark Sakul said:

Tough question, and there alot of factors to take in.

Does the screws for your H55 fit in and screw correctly to your metal AM3 back plate?

If it does, then you can get away with your metal back plate. If not then you want the backplate that provided with your H55.

I know this works on some Corsair AIO coolers (as I done it myself a number of times), mostly more recently sold units as the changed thew screws out on most of their models for this purpose. Some of the older batches don't work as the threads are different. 

As for getting off the old backplate; if its help in with some adhesive use a hair dryer and see if you could soften up the glue.

They do fit into the stock backplate, I tried it today, but sadly one screw does not screw correctly. And I checked, it's the backplate's fault, the cooler screws correctly on the older backplate.

I tried the hair dryer on the adhesive, it softened a bit but I still couldn't get it off. I was thinking about buying a replacement backplate.

I also contacted corsair to see if I can buy a replacement backplate only from them, but I doubt that is possible.

Weird problem, thanks for the suggestions tho!

As I discovered, it is like you said, the screws of the cooler have a smaller diameter than the normal screws, so that's why I cannot screw them in, so I cannot use the stock backplate.

That means I need to wait for corsair to help me out. I don't know if I can purchase a backplate that will work with their smaller screws or a replacement for the coolers included one.