How did I fry my VRMs?

Okay so I think I know what I did wrong but I want some help/confirmation. My current build is a Ryzen 7 1700 build on an Asus Prime B350-Plus Mobo. I had it over clocked to 3.8 Ghz with a Deepcool Captain 120 EX AIO at 1.275v. And I somehow managed to fry one of my VRMs. I had been running this setup fine for over a month and wanted to give it a test using AIDA64. I was fully aware that AIDA causes the CPU to reach tempatures it wouldnt normally even under heavy load. Is this the cause of my VRM giving me a nice fireworks show and causing my room to smell like absolute garbage? My PSU is a HighPower 1000W 80+Bronze, I have 16GB of Adata XPC DDR4 Memory and a GTX 1050 GPU if that helps.

well the main problem with that vrm is that it is not well cooled, and because you are running a cooler that has its fans away from the motherboard  the cooling on vrm wasn't good enough, and because that board is cheap and it doesn't have a temperature sensor for the vrms, they just overheated and fried

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

well the main problem with that vrm is that it is not well cooled, and because you are running a cooler that has its fans away from the motherboard  the cooling on vrm wasn't good enough, and because that board is cheap and it doesn't have a temperature sensor for the vrms, they just overheated and fried

Okay that makes a lot of sense, thank you! 

19 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Where are you getting that last bit of 'info' about no vrm temp sensors from? 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

well if they did have one the vrm wouldn't have been fried, as the bios would receive an alert that the vrm was in trouble, unless he had disabled that in the bios.

so i was assuming yes, let me check if i was right, brb

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

well you are right the board does have temp sensors, maybe the op changed a bios setting or the board simply malfunctioned 

Yeah vrm cooling on that board is kinda lame.  Its better than some of the solid block style ones but still very small and not evenly distributed between the 2 on it with a heat pipe.

On a side note: A vrm with a temp sensor can still get toasted.  The sensing system on the vrm could have been faulty and could have even caused the problem.  Also if the heat builds up fast enough, the sensor doesn't have time to react or just gets melted and doesn't function right.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB @ 3244Mhz CL13 | Case: Phantom 820 | Storage: 250GB Samsung 960 EVO & 10TB various mechanicals  | PSU: Corsair RM1000 Platinum | CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.8Ghz | GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G w/ 580 BIOS @ 1515/2200 | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Mamba (new style) | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X & Nuance Spacial 3 towers | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Acer T232HL | Cooling: custom loop w/ 360mm Rad & Wraith Spire

HWBOT RX 580 3dmark Firestrike Submission

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

well you are right the board does have temp sensors, maybe the op changed a bios setting or the board simply malfunctioned 

Im no professional overclocker, I can edit multipliers and know how to use AMDs Ryzen Master software but thats it

Just now, NxIkarus said:

Im no professional overclocker, I can edit multipliers and know how to use AMDs Ryzen Master software but thats it

the bios setting i am talking about is in the digi+ vrm section, it basically asks if the vrm should limit it self if over a certain temp, and you can change it to be based on current (don't know if that disables the temp monitoring completely or if it just increases the max temp)

That board runs hot and CHEW has posted videos that had that board running at over 150C in spots and in most cases VRM is rated for 120C max that board doesn't even throttle down when the VRM gets that hot which is a major issue. 

Why many say Ryzen 7 should remain at stock on 4 phase VRM boards(95% of all B350 boards)

14 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the bios setting i am talking about is in the digi+ vrm section, it basically asks if the vrm should limit it self if over a certain temp, and you can change it to be based on current (don't know if that disables the temp monitoring completely or if it just increases the max temp)

On my RoG boards (so not sure if its on other Asus boards) you could set temp limit with a number or change how it reads and reacts to it with another setting (dont remember offhand the name).  But it can be put in a state where it would basically ignore temp of the VRMs or at least allow it to go into the danger threshold.

1 minute ago, jdwii said:

That board runs hot and CHEW has posted videos that had that board running at over 150C in spots and in most cases VRM is rated for 120C max that board doesn't even throttle down when the VRM gets that hot which is a major issue. 

Why many say Ryzen 7 should remain at stock on 4 phase VRM boards(95% of all B350 boards)

Yeah its heavily recommended that R7 chips be paired with x370 board.  Especially if you overclock.  But stock settings in most cases should keep you safe regardless.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB @ 3244Mhz CL13 | Case: Phantom 820 | Storage: 250GB Samsung 960 EVO & 10TB various mechanicals  | PSU: Corsair RM1000 Platinum | CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.8Ghz | GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8G w/ 580 BIOS @ 1515/2200 | Keyboard: Logitech G910 | Mouse: Razer Mamba (new style) | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X & Nuance Spacial 3 towers | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Acer T232HL | Cooling: custom loop w/ 360mm Rad & Wraith Spire

HWBOT RX 580 3dmark Firestrike Submission

3 minutes ago, jdwii said:

Yeah that would make alot of sense as well, Im thinking of replacing it with a Asus ROG Strix B350-F because of the extra power phases at a similar price

1 minute ago, NxIkarus said:

Yeah that would make alot of sense as well, Im thinking of replacing it with a Asus ROG Strix B350-F because of the extra power phases at a similar price

Simply next time watch for system temps or VRM temps or whatever its called on that board assume the rating is a good 5-10C higher in software and you should be safe if you keep the VRM below 100C preferably 80C as the capacitors around the VRM won't like being heated to 100C for long. 

24 minutes ago, jdwii said:

Simply next time watch for system temps or VRM temps or whatever its called on that board assume the rating is a good 5-10C higher in software and you should be safe if you keep the VRM below 100C preferably 80C as the capacitors around the VRM won't like being heated to 100C for long. 

Ill take that into account next time, thanks for all the help :)