Help Update the Firmware on a Mega Raid Raid Card????????????????

ace2k8

So i have 2 LSI Mega Raid 8308ELP Raid Cards in my gaming rig.  ( Why because i can )  One card is going to be running my 3 SSD's in raid 0 the other one is running my storage backup with 8 HDD's.  My Question is i need to update the firmware on my raid cards. One has a outdated firmware and will not allow me to use the mouse for input i am stuck to keyboard only.  Bad thing about that i can not set a raid up with non-matching ( 2 Samsung 840 120GB 1 Samsung 830 128GB SSD's) sizes with out using a mouse. LSI points to a program to update the firmware but its for DOS.  I am great at hardware but suck at using a dos prompt i am just too young for that lol.  

I am the same as you buddy...........so i cant help you sorry.

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

This may be of use to you. It's for a different LSI card and it's flashing from Integrated Raid mode to Initiator Target mode, but I'd imagine the steps are very similar if you were to get the firmware you want for your card.

You will need a 2GB or smaller USB thumb drive (which you will make DOS bootable with bootflashdos) and the appropriate firmware files.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Thanks i will give it a try when i get home from work.  But one quick other question. One of the Raid Cards are running my OS the other is running my back up. When i upgrand the Firmware will i loose my config and will i need to rebuild my raid or re-install windows. 

Thanks i will give it a try when i get home from work.  But one quick other question. One of the Raid Cards are running my OS the other is running my back up. When i upgrand the Firmware will i loose my config and will i need to rebuild my raid or re-install windows. 

Not sure, it might mention it in the documentation for your card. I imagine it wouldn't, but don't quote me on that.

If you can, do a full backup of the system and then try it. If you lose your array, just create a new one and restore the data.

Maybe looney can shed some light on this?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I would definitely do a backup. If something fucks up while you're updating your firmware (power loss, bit flip somewhere, etc.) there's a good chance you won't be able to read from the drives unless you get a matched controller with the same firmware. (also even successful firmware updates can brick your card)

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Got it all working thanks guys. Got a nice raid working all smooth. 8TB total 6TB usable. And 3 SSDs on the second raid card.

Got it all working thanks guys. Got a nice raid working all smooth. 8TB total 6TB usable. And 3 SSDs on the second raid card.

Firmware updated fine?

No i found out that if i use the Raid card with the newer Firmware it will allow mouse input on both raid cards.    I got my Riad working great. Now i am looking for a second 64GB ssd for my Ubuntu installation.