Infected computer?

SnipingBow

Hi,

I need to have a very secure computer. One that will have a very low risk of beeing keylogged/get a virus. Of course I won't be downloading anything on it. And will be avoiding any shady webistes.

My current computer doesn't have these problems, but I have downloaded stuff (no not p0rn) in the past that may make it compromised.

My question to you is :

1) Should I buy a new computer and only use it for the secure operations I am talking about? If so do you have any laptops you can suggest?

2) Is there a way for me to be sure that my computer is secure without having to delete my current programs and files?

Sorry if in wrong section

What do you even need such a computer that you can't risk having it get a virus on it. What purposes do you need said computer for?

If it's only for a specific purpose why would you worry about getting a virus if you're only doing that one thing on the computer?

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

How do you avoid shady websites and still get viruses? I feel like it's not that easy to get a virus these days even when only using Windows Defender. If you really want to be safe use something like Linux inside a VM, that way you can just trash it and start over if you feel like it was compromised.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

4 minutes ago, SnipingBow said:

Hi,

I need to have a very secure computer. One that will have a very low risk of beeing keylogged/get a virus. Of course I won't be downloading anything on it. And will be avoiding any shady webistes.

My current computer doesn't have these problems, but I have downloaded stuff (no not p0rn) in the past that may make it compromised.

My question to you is :

1) Should I buy a new computer and only use it for the secure operations I am talking about? If so do you have any laptops you can suggest?

2) Is there a way for me to be sure that my computer is secure without having to delete my current programs and files?

Sorry if in wrong section

Unless you've been doing some super shady sh!t you shouldn't worry about it just download an anti-virus.

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

How do you avoid shady websites and still get viruses? I feel like it's not that easy to get a virus these days even when only using Windows Defender. If you really want to be safe use something like Linux inside a VM, that way you can just trash it and start over if you feel like it was compromised.

Sorry. What I meant is that I will do this in the future. In the past I did not avoid these websites.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

Unless you've been doing some super shady sh!t you shouldn't worry about it just download an anti-virus.

Have any in mind?

I have done shady stuff like downloading from piratebay before. I have no clue if I have a keylogger and I am paranoid.

3 minutes ago, Dougalish said:

What do you even need such a computer that you can't risk having it get a virus on it. What purposes do you need said computer for?

If it's only for a specific purpose why would you worry about getting a virus if you're only doing that one thing on the computer?

Using it for private informations. Can't allow anyone to get in. Can't allow anyone to infect it.

Is there anyway for me to check if my current machine is infected?

I know viruses can hide form the common antivirus that you can get for free.

Just now, SnipingBow said:

Using it for private informations. Can't allow anyone to get in. Can't allow anyone to infect it.

For my private and personal stuff, I use a separate HD with Linux on it, I'd suggest doing the same or what @theguywhobea said.

Just now, <Aleks> said:

For my private and personal stuff, I use a separate HD with Linux on it, I'd suggest doing the same or what @theguywhobea said.

Any videos or tuturial you can suggest :P ?

If not I will look arround

If you're careful with what you download and what sites you go you (with a anti-virus of course) you should be just fine.

Even with downloading torrents and pirating games/programs. Just ensure you're getting one many users have also downloaded and not just one that's most recent with 1 download.

Even with having private information on your computer, which I would not recommend in any way, you should still be good with a good anti-virus that can track if you're being keylogged. I'd much rather recommend buying a 3 dollar small notebook and keeping private information in there if we're talking like passwords, ssn(s), card info, etc...

If it's like files and such you need to keep protects just put them on external drives like thumb drives and only plug them in when you need them.

3 minutes ago, SnipingBow said:

I personally use advanced system care (pro version as I wanted it and it was on sale). It works well and with not downloading or visiting anything shady I haven't had any viruses.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

Any videos or tuturial you can suggest :P ?

If not I will look arround

I don't think you need a tutorial, just find a distro you like the most and download it, from there on they have step by step directions on how to create a bootable USB etc...

1.Always screen lock your computer when you leave it, no matter how long you're going to leave it for.

2.Encrypt the hard drive with BitLocker if you're worried about the HDD getting stolen and having valuable information stolen from it.

3.Avoid connecting to open networks when possible.

4.To keep your information private, use a VPN whenever browsing the web. There many options out there from TunnelBear or NordVPN.

5.Disable tracking features built into window 10 such as relevant ads, location services, diagnostics, ect, and disable Cortana.

9 minutes ago, Dougalish said:

If you're careful with what you download and what sites you go you (with a anti-virus of course) you should be just fine.

Even with downloading torrents and pirating games/programs. Just ensure you're getting one many users have also downloaded and not just one that's most recent with 1 download.

Even with having private information on your computer, which I would not recommend in any way, you should still be good with a good anti-virus that can track if you're being keylogged. I'd much rather recommend buying a 3 dollar small notebook and keeping private information in there if we're talking like passwords, ssn(s), card info, etc...

If it's like files and such you need to keep protects just put them on external drives like thumb drives and only plug them in when you need them.

Basicly I log in a website. I don't want people to be able to keylog me and get my information. My biggest fear is that people could control my computer with a RAT or something of the sort. The keylog is bad but I have 2FA so I am more worried about my computer beeing controlled.

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

1.Always screen lock your computer when you leave it, no matter how long you're going to leave it for.

2.Encrypt the hard drive with BitLocker if you're worried about the HDD getting stolen and having valuable information stolen from it.

3.Avoid connecting to open networks when possible.

4.To keep your information private, use a VPN whenever browsing the web. There many options out there from TunnelBear or NordVPN.

5.Disable tracking features built into window 10 such as relevant ads, location services, diagnostics, ect, and disable Cortana.

Does locking the screen prevent someone to control my computer? I always thought that the best thing was to make it sleep since it's physically turned off. Might be wrong though.

6 minutes ago, SnipingBow said:

You have two options, 1.Use anti-virus software and hope it gets rid of it. 2.Completely reinstall windows and clean the hard drive using the option that will take possibly several hours and wipe all user data from your PC>

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

You have two options, 1.Use anti-virus software and hope it gets rid of it. 2.Completely reinstall windows and clean the hard drive using the option that will take possibly several hours and wipe all user data from your PC>

At that point I am seriously just considering buying a small laptop that will be used only for my online private interactions.

Option 1 seems to be ''unsure'' as there is always a risk that the antivirus might not detect the virus (if the hacker is really good)

Option 2 is out of the question since I don't want to lose everything on my pc.

Does locking the screen prevent someone to control my computer? I always thought that the best thing was to make it sleep since it's physically turned off. Might be wrong though.

It's a practice they drilled into us during our time in AIT. If we left our computers unlocked and they saw that, we would be doing some push-ups for it. The 5 practices I mentioned above are for future protection of your information and will not help if you already have a virus or keylogger.

Basicly I log in a website. I don't want people to be able to keylog me and get my information. My biggest fear is that people could control my computer with a RAT or something of the sort. The keylog is bad but I have 2FA so I am more worried about my computer getting keylogged.

Consider why would people want to keylog you so specifically.Just download anything from Softonic and you should be fine

My life

1 minute ago, SnipingBow said:

At that point I am seriously just considering buying a small laptop that will be used only for my online private interactions.

Option seems to be ''unsure'' as there is always a risk that the antivirus might not detect the virus (if the hacker is really good)

Buy a chromebook

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Buy a chromebook

Is security one of their selling points :o ?

Honestly getting Linux, or using a VPN are better options. Google likes to know what you search.

No one develops viruses for chrome OS

My life

Honestly getting Linux, or using a VPN are better options. Google likes to know what you search.

LOL that's so true. Thanks 

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

No one develops viruses for chrome OS

Hmm will consider it. Thanks

1 minute ago, SnipingBow said:

LOL that's so true. Thanks 

Hmm will consider it. Thanks

The reason you don't see viruses much for Linux or Chrome OS's is because there are so few users it's not profitable to hack people on those. Also just something to note if you're ever using some shady website I use like 123movies.to they have pop-up advertisements no matter where you click on the page, and the page will play an audio recording that says something along the lines about how you have a virus or someone is downloading crap to your PC, ignore it. It will create a dialogue box and you need to spam the X button on the tab and have windows prevent it from continuing to try and create more dialogue options and eventually you will get the page to close. More than likely if you call the number you will end up with some guy from India who will try and get you to download some crap onto your PC, which lets him control it, and then have you "pay" them and will ask for your card info and stuff. I've seen several people troll these kinds of guys using VMs like Oracle Box for fun. You can look up trolling tech support scammer on youtube its pretty funny some of the videos.

The reason you don't see viruses much for Linux or Chrome OS's is because there are so few users it's not profitable to hack people on those. Also just something to note if you're ever using some shady website I use like 123movies.to they have pop-up advertisements no matter where you click on the page, and the page will play an audio recording that says something along the lines about how you have a virus or someone is downloading crap to your PC, ignore it. It will create a dialogue box and you need to spam the X button on the tab and have windows prevent it from continuing to try and create more dialogue options and eventually you will get the page to close. More than likely if you call the number you will end up with some guy from India who will try and get you to download some crap onto your PC, which lets him control it, and then have you "pay" them and will ask for your card info and stuff. I've seen several people troll these kinds of guys using VMs like Oracle Box for fun. You can look up trolling tech support scammer on youtube its pretty funny some of the videos.

That's the kinda shady stuff I am talking about. 

If I go to a website like that I feeel like I was infected instantly.