Floatplane Suggestion: Allow users to pay in other currencies than USD.

AlTech

Hi, I'd like to request that pricing for Floatplane be available in other currencies such as GBP, Euros or whatever.

If this doesn't happen by the time the new site goes live then I'll have no choice but to stop subscribing to Floatplane (Technically I have but that's short term whilst finding a workaround).

I have a bank account in the UK and paying things in USD or any currency other than GBP cost me money in addition to the actual cost of the product.

I'm suggesting LMG offers pricing in GBP and other countries at a similar exchange rate to the USD price. Example for the current price:  Pay $2.99 USD per month/$29.99 per year OR £2.99 GBP/ £29.99 GBP.

This would save a lot of money for myself and others in the long term and just makes dealing with payment of Floatplane a lot easier.

I know I can't be the only one bothered by this and so I'd kindly like to ask if this could be remedied.

Thanks much :).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The conversion will still be there. I suppose they could do it like GOG.com does it where they use actual currency conversion rate for pricing. But I wouldn't be surprised if Linus/Luke decided to prove a point and do it Valve/Blizzard/EA/Ubisoft style where you pay $3USB or $3CAD or $3AUD or $3NZD or £3GBP or €3EUR. From those paying with £ or € would suck as rate makes it higher cost while Canadians would get it tad cheaper than now.

And I have my doubts on your understanding of this matter. Saying that £3/£30 would save you money is odd. You are paying £0.67/£6.77 more just using PayPal's current conversion rate. There will be conversion at some point. In fact there already is one conversion as we are paying with USD and LMG uses CAD for main business.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I expect this will happen at some point, but for now the priority is to get the new site launched rather than to add extra complexity dealing with other currencies (and the inevitable headaches of currency conversion fluctuations).

HTTP/2 203

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

The conversion will still be there. I suppose they could do it like GOG.com does it where they use actual currency conversion rate for pricing.

That would be quite helpful.

I would pay roughly 20-40% less for Floatplane.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Linus/Luke decided to prove a point and do it Valve/Blizzard/EA/Ubisoft style where you pay $3USB or $3CAD or $3AUD or $3NZD or £3GBP or €3EUR. From those paying with £ or € would suck as rate makes it higher cost while Canadians would get it tad cheaper than now.

That's just stupid and basically gives the middle finger to international customers (which I can imagine there are a fair few on LTT).

And I have my doubts on your understanding of this matter. Saying that £3/£30 would save you money is odd. You are paying £0.67/£6.77 more just using PayPal's current conversion rate. There will be conversion at some point. In fact there already is one conversion as we are paying with USD and LMG uses CAD for main business.

If you read my post, it's not about Paypal.

My bank which issues the card to be used for Paypal for Floatplane charges for non GBP currencies.

So in addition to that £0.67/£6.77 I would be charged extra rather than the actual currency converted price if that was in use (which in this case would be roughly 50% cheaper).

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

I expect this will happen at some point, but for now the priority is to get the new site launched rather than to add extra complexity dealing with other currencies (and the inevitable headaches of currency conversion fluctuations).

Having an actual currency conversion rate would probably be the best solution.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If you read my post, it's not about Paypal.

My bank which issues the card to be used for Paypal for Floatplane charges for non GBP currencies.

I see you didn't understand my point. There's always conversion at some point. You can do it with PayPal or you can do it with your bank. PayPal's rate is listed. If I would pay with GBP card using my current banks rate (Visa's daily rate + currency conversion payment of 1.95%), I would pay £0.50/yearly more than if I let PayPal do the conversion. Thats such insignificant amount that I don't care. Nor do I remember which currently does the conversion.

How big cut does your bank take? Should be listed on their website as I would consider that to be one thing when choosing banks. If you do much of online shopping in other currencies and they have highest convert rate of all banks, time to look for another home for your money.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How big cut does your bank take? Should be listed on their website as I would consider that to be one thing when choosing banks. If you do much of online shopping in other currencies and they have highest convert rate of all banks, time to look for another home for your money.

I don't typically use other currencies with this card or really in general. Floatplane and IPS are the only non GBP things I pay for normally with my card(s).

My UK bank takes 2.75% cut for non GBP purchases. Outside of paypal my UK card uses Visa's conversion rate which seems to be fair enough. Truth be told I've never used Paypal with my UK card, I've used a Hong Kong card which not only charges 2% fee cos it's a Shared Credit Card + effectively 5 USD transaction fee for International Purchases + conversion to USD.

Honestly, It might sound like I'm being whiny and annoying. And I realize I might be, but the more friction there is when I spend money on a product, the more I try to find ways to reduce spending of that product or simply not purchase said product.

If it makes you feel any better I'm planning on talking to IPS at some point to ask if they can charge me in GBP because the amount of USD I pay from IPS is not insignificant per year and that stuff adds up.

And to be totally honest I only use Paypal for services which refuse to deal with my Debit Card directly such as my laundry service (yes, an Internet of Things Connected Laundry Machine Service) and Floatplane xD.

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ok

, tthat makes more sense. And I'm not shutting idea completely. Just saying that it might not be any cheaper, and maybe even cost more. Things to consider are stuff like how much will new payment services take per payment. That may already make smaller payments in different currency not worth it if service takes most of the payment.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv