WAN Show Problems

Syntaxvgm

Ok, you need to outsource this problem. I mean you got focusrite in and your audio is marginally better. 

Most of the time, I have to turn my stereo to 80-90 to hear you in the house. I can hear other streamers at 50 or lower. The hiss makes me think I left the water running. Then the intro comes on and all of my windows vibrate, stuff falls sometimes. 

But about the other problems-

Ok so, question @Slick, @LinusTech, @nicklmg-

Linus always says "we haven't touched anything since last week!"

Are you turning ALL of the equipment off? A week is a long time. 

I assume you know to turn of or maybe hibernate the PC, but the other stuff? 

No experience with epiphan, but are  the capture cards off and NOT on usb ports that are powered when the PC is off?

Is ALL of the audio and video equipment on power strips that are turned off? 

A week is a long time. Shit just fucks up. A mixer does something weird, loses phantom power, a capture card screws up, an HDMI splitter overheats (Almost all do sometimes, believe me)

So something to think about

Another idea-

Duplicate your stream settings to your recording settings in OBS. 

Maybe start by being 25 minutes late instead of 30. 

Record 30 seconds. Talk loud like the show. Make it fun. Maybe run through George Carlin's seven dirty words real quick 

Shit!
Piss!
Fuck!
Cunt!
Cocksucker!
Motherfucker!
Tits!

Maybe run the intro as well. 

Listen to it. 

If it's good start broadcasting! 

Either way when it comes to troubleshooting it's clear there's a difference between recording videos and doing it live

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I agree unfortunately :/

The WAN show is something i watch consistently every week and i wish it got more tlc. I doubt anything will happen but who knows. 

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

or a live producer role behind the camera

You have no idea how long I've been suggesting this. It was so funny with this weeks show when Anthony ( @GabenJr) told them truth about audio levels and got (maybe as a joke) yelled by Linus. FOR ACTUALLY TAKING ROLE OF PRODUCER TO HELP TO MAKE SHOW BETTER. I just don't understand what is Linus' problem. He has warehouse full of people, why not ask one of them to spare 30mins to setup system and monitor it a bit to make sure everything works. Since they are still at work when show airs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

or a live producer role behind the camera

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You have no idea how long I've been suggesting this. It was so funny with this weeks show when Anthony ( @GabenJr) told them truth about audio levels and got (maybe as a joke) yelled by Linus. FOR ACTUALLY TAKING ROLE OF PRODUCER TO HELP TO MAKE SHOW BETTER. I just don't understand what is Linus' problem. He has warehouse full of people, why not ask one of them to spare 30mins to setup system and monitor it a bit to make sure everything works. Since they are still at work when show airs.

The thing is, I think they are not technically still at the office at that time unless the're working overtime? As for someone to stay behind on all Fridays, would suck/seem unfair. I mean if they're salaried, would kinda suck. Bet they're hourly. So yah overtime pay. Could be a rotating role 

Reality is someone needs to fuck with the setup BEFORE they use it. Even if it's them. There's 2 people good at troubleshooting already there, just put the extra thought/effort in.

I understand it's not as easy as it seems, as a guy that's setup streams with multiple mics, cameras, and 3 game captures on a few occasions, I understand shit goes wrong. I'm not arrogant enough to think I'd be better at it off the bat, they literally have 5 years experience with this. But I'd certainly be way better at it after 5 years. 

I also know that the problems and fun are part of the WAN show aesthetic, but in the grand scheme of things, LMG is a media production company, and they need to look like they at least have 75% of their shit together. I know the wan show is not what most advertisers typically look at, but video production is their product. 

Get good. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

52 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The thing is, I think they are not technically still at the office at that time unless the're working overtime? As for someone to stay behind on all Fridays, would suck/seem unfair. I mean if they're salaried, would kinda suck. Bet they're hourly. So yah overtime pay. Could be a rotating role

I'm pretty sure they are paid monthly. They have flexible working hours (from Wake up gadgets video), and I assume Canada has similar system to ours where working hours are something like 8am-7pm. Sure it sucks to be late on Fridays, but seriously it takes 15mins to verify that audio works and then they are off. We also see every single week that there's multiple persons at the office. I mean Colton/Nick are working anyway during show to make sure sponsor stuff goes well.

Overall its shame that they pay so much to make sure regular content is good quality and then we have weekly crapshoot/russian roulette called WAN Show.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

29 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'm pretty sure they are paid monthly. They have flexible working hours (from Wake up gadgets video), and I assume Canada has similar system to ours where working hours are something like 8am-7pm. Sure it sucks to be late on Fridays, but seriously it takes 15mins to verify that audio works and then they are off. We also see every single week that there's multiple persons at the office. I mean Colton/Nick are working anyway during show to make sure sponsor stuff goes well.

Overall its shame that they pay so much to make sure regular content is good quality and then we have weekly crapshoot/russian roulette called WAN Show.

yah idk what their minimum for salaried employees is there, but I wouldn't think it pays enough to be that. In 2016 the US DOL almost raised minimum salary from 23k to 46k, but it got blocked or something at the last minute. I imagine Canada is ahead of us on this. If minimum salary is close to minimum wage at a bit more than 40 hours  a week, employers abuse that to make employees work a ton of overtime with no extra compensation. 

muh specs 

All parts black

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I can assure you, Linus was joking. It's not part of my job description to be watching WAN Show on Fridays, but I'm also not the only one who does it, and as long as we're being productive I don't think it matters.

As for setting someone up for the role of producer, I get why we haven't yet - WAN Show already occupies an hour or more of Linus and Luke's time, and sometimes James (to say nothing of his managing the WAN doc). At the same time, I kinda agree. If someone were handling the technical side of things it'd make for a smoother show. To play devil's advocate for a minute though, it's kind of a meme for WAN Show to be broken and never start on time. :P

8 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Reality is someone needs to fuck with the setup BEFORE they use it. Even if it's them. There's 2 people good at troubleshooting already there, just put the extra thought/effort in.

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'm pretty sure they are paid monthly. They have flexible working hours (from Wake up gadgets video), and I assume Canada has similar system to ours where working hours are something like 8am-7pm. Sure it sucks to be late on Fridays, but seriously it takes 15mins to verify that audio works and then they are off.

Our hours are pretty flexible, so if one of us were to manage the WAN Show behind the scenes, we could just come in a little later. Would be pretty simple as far as that goes... And if someone's just spending the 10-15 it would take to kick the tires before they go live, it wouldn't be a consideration to begin with.

I get Linus' frustration about it though. It really should be a "set it once" type of deal, but with how many times it's been moved and/or had people working around it, stuff's going to get bumped.

TL;DR though I poked Linus about it and I'm going to do a pre-flight system check every Friday.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

38 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

I can assure you, Linus was joking. It's not part of my job description to be watching WAN Show on Fridays, but I'm also not the only one who does it, and as long as we're being productive I don't think it matters.

As for setting someone up for the role of producer, I get why we haven't yet - WAN Show already occupies an hour or more of Linus and Luke's time, and sometimes James (to say nothing of his managing the WAN doc). At the same time, I kinda agree. If someone were handling the technical side of things it'd make for a smoother show. To play devil's advocate for a minute though, it's kind of a meme for WAN Show to be broken and never start on time. :P

Our hours are pretty flexible, so if one of us were to manage the WAN Show behind the scenes, we could just come in a little later. Would be pretty simple as far as that goes... And if someone's just spending the 10-15 it would take to kick the tires before they go live, it wouldn't be a consideration to begin with.

I get Linus' frustration about it though. It really should be a "set it once" type of deal, but with how many times it's been moved and/or had people working around it, stuff's going to get bumped.

TL;DR though I poked Linus about it and I'm going to do a pre-flight system check every Friday.

=)

What about the leaving stuff on part? Curious if that was happening. (audio and video equipment, even powered splitters etc)

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, GabenJr said:

it's kind of a meme for WAN Show to be broken and never start on time

Still remember the time when Linus and Luke were "the whole duration of the show late" - Luke 

Tbh, I like the WAN show Problems bc it gets Linus annoyed ;) (tho for the recent show, even turning my laptop speakers to 100 wasnt loud enough)

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

Honestly I would like it if they could raise their mic's volume a little bit.(like double)

The audio on the WAN show is simply too quiet compared to all the other content they produce.

I usually have my volume at 35%, when it comes to watching the WAN show, I have to double that to even hear it the same as I would other videos.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

=)

What about the leaving stuff on part? Curious if that was happening. (audio and video equipment, even powered splitters etc)

Honestly this is something I haven’t verified in depth. The WAN PC is usually off during the week, but As for the rest of the setup I’m not sure. I think we should add Kasa modules so we can kill it all at once and be sure it’s off, make it part of our day-end routine. I guess it’s on me now so I’ll have to see for myself next week what the situation is.

I don’t expect to know everything there is to know about the audio modules on week one, but the idea for now is to find settings that work and dial it in by testing it beforehand rather than going live with potentially messed up settings and fixing it on the fly.

Ideally I’d make sure the levels are compressed so that there’s no super quiet / super loud bits, and dialing that in while also minimizing hiss will be the challenge for the first couple weeks.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

22 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

Honestly this is something I haven’t verified in depth. The WAN PC is usually off during the week, but As for the rest of the setup I’m not sure. I think we should add Kasa modules so we can kill it all at once and be sure it’s off, make it part of our day-end routine. I guess it’s on me now so I’ll have to see for myself next week what the situation is.

I don’t expect to know everything there is to know about the audio modules on week one, but the idea for now is to find settings that work and dial it in by testing it beforehand rather than going live with potentially messed up settings and fixing it on the fly.

Ideally I’d make sure the levels are compressed so that there’s no super quiet / super loud bits, and dialing that in while also minimizing hiss will be the challenge for the first couple weeks.

I'm not an audio expert, and I too don't know what you're set up with, but a limiter  is ideal here I think. When linus is louder, they both aren't talking at the same time often. And it would prevent stuff like the intro being wayyyy to loud if it's before the limiter. Problem with the low audio I think is your high sounds, like the intro and linus getting excited are not low. It's like one of those movies with loud explosions and dialog you cannot hear. Maybe with a limiter you jack that shit all up and it just hard cap it. 

audio-limiter.jpg

where a compressor works on a ratio, a limiter is a hard cap. Maybe this, a low limit, then amplifying it after the limiter to just below clipping (it wont since it's a hard limit) might be the likely-improper-but-effective solution. The key being the hard limit will prevent clipping if you low limit then jack it up near the red line. I could be completely wrong here, but you'll do research obviously. 

Also, maybe consider two mics? Even condenser mics. Not ideal, as one will pick up the other, but if they are thrown into an analog mixer which combines it to one input line, even though mic 2 still picks up person 1, lowering mic one still lowers them significantly, and same with more gain on mic 2 raising person 2 while not really so much for 1. I've done this with 3 people on a couch with directional mics, but with condensers, you can put it off to the sides (outside) of the table which would be not in the way of the camera but still pick them up while isolating them more. I mean idk, radio shows all have their own mic, and you got a lot to experiment with. Would have to be xlr obviously or have a live monitor plug if it's usb, using the live monitor plug to plug into a mixer. 

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

muh specs 

All parts black