Can you make Windows 2000 mostly kompadibel with Windows 10 programs

Windows 2000 is not Windows ME

I have an old laptop with Win2k that actually is faster to work with than my gtx1080, 10 core E5, SSD desktop but is a pain to work with because Win2k isn't supported from more or less anyone.

Is it possible to make a Frankenstein Windows with Win2k as a base that works with newer programs?

1. why is it faster to work with? 

2. no. you can't. and it would violate the copyrights of microsoft with their source code. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, AlfonsLM said:

Is it possible to make a Frankenstein Windows with Win2k as a base that works with newer programs?

You aren't understanding WHY the windows 2000 machine is faster...

A commodore 64 from 1982 is actually one of the fastest computers that exists , because of the software it uses. The software it runs is made for the commodore 64. thats why that machines boots instantly and instantly loads software from cartridges. 

Same with your windows 2000 laptop. It's fast because it's running windows 2000 and era appropriate software. Running windows 10 era software on hardware that old will be slower than even the worst stock windows 10 machines today.

Most smartphones/tablets from the past 7 years are much faster than the windows 2000 laptop you have from a hardware standpoint and are actually capable of running windows 10 applications. Not as fast as you like , but at least they run. If you want a faster windows 10 experience then get a better modern machine. 

I do understand that Windows 2k is faster because I run it on a computer made for Win XP but I don't think the later Windows can match the efficiency of the resource usage of 2k (or FreeDOS).

If this was the case do you think that everyone would be running Windows 2000 and using modern applications on there?

Quite simply, Windows 2000 has less overhead than Windows XP,Vista,7,8,10 so it will be faster with its own era of applications however if newer applications did work it would run slower than anything due to the limitations of the hardware and software support for the older OS.

You couldn't really install Windows 2000 on newer hardware either as the drivers do not exist and Windows 2000 could not use the newest hardware to the fullest for example it can only run up to 4GB of RAM.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

No you cannot merge Windows 10 with Windows 2000 (or XP, or Vista or 7 or 8)

Windows 2000 IS Windows XP up to SP2. Windows XP is exactly Windows 2000, but, in a nut shell, with a theme on it, improved help document, compatibility mode, ""firewall"". Also, Microsoft reworked the startup process, with the introduction of the first version of its Prefetch technology, and accelerated substantially startup time. Up until SP2 of WinXP, both OS shared the same bugs, same security issues. Windows XP was a rushed 1 year OS release to be an answer to Apples new OS: OSX.

Starting with XP SP2, XP branched out from Windows 2000, as Windows 2000 SP4 was the last service pack that OS had due to no longer be supported. Keep in mind that support for Windows XP was extended, due to the big delays due to the massive OS rewrite, under the project name Longhorn, which ended up being called Vista.

They are 2 things that MAY block you from installing Windows 10 (assuming you have the specs, which I doubt it)

• Lack of CPU technologies that Windows 8/10 needs to operarate
  • Lack of drivers support will force you to generic drivers, assuming you even have that, which will not permit you to enjoy the full performance or full feature of all your hardware. This will be the big hit in performance for you.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

No you cannot merge Windows 10 with Windows 2000 (or XP, or Vista or 7 or 8)

Windows 2000 IS Windows XP up to SP2. Windows XP is exactly Windows 2000, but, in a nut shell, with a theme on it, improved help document, compatibility mode, ""firewall"". Also, Microsoft reworked the startup process, with the introduction of the first version of its Prefetch technology, and accelerated substantially startup time. Up until SP2 of WinXP, both OS shared the same bugs, same security issues. Windows XP was a rushed 1 year OS release to be an answer to Apples new OS: OSX.

Starting with XP SP2, XP branched out from Windows 2000, as Windows 2000 SP4 was the last service pack that OS had due to no longer be supported. Keep in mind that support for Windows XP was extended, due to the big delays due to the massive OS rewrite, under the project name Longhorn, which ended up being called Vista.

They are 2 things that MAY block you from installing Windows 10 (assuming you have the specs, which I doubt it)

• Lack of CPU technologies that Windows 8/10 needs to operarate
  • Lack of drivers support will force you to generic drivers, assuming you even have that, which will not permit you to enjoy the full performance or full feature of all your hardware. This will be the big hit in performance for you.

Whats funny with SP2 is that they practically re-wrote Windows XP as the Windows 2000 underpinnings weren't as secure as Microsoft intended and everything they did to re-secure the OS just caused issues so Windows XP SP2 may as well had been a new OS Anyway!

What they ditched in Windows Longhorn was a poor choice in Microsofts part as at that time (As the longevity of Windows XP Can prove) is that they didn't need to update the OS in as drastic as a measure as they did in the small time frame that they forced upon themselves as Windows Vista was at first a load of S**t! 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

1 hour ago, Sousuke said:

Whats funny with SP2 is that they practically re-wrote Windows XP as the Windows 2000 underpinnings weren't as secure as Microsoft intended and everything they did to re-secure the OS just caused issues so Windows XP SP2 may as well had been a new OS Anyway!

What they ditched in Windows Longhorn was a poor choice in Microsofts part as at that time (As the longevity of Windows XP Can prove) is that they didn't need to update the OS in as drastic as a measure as they did in the small time frame that they forced upon themselves as Windows Vista was at first a load of S**t! 

Hmm not really. i mean I see where you coming from, but Windows XP SP2 still has the core foundations of Windows NT 3.x. The security of Windows XP SP2 increase was mostly this mass plastering/patch work on a highly cracked wall that still wobbles and prone to crack, opening whole again. Basically, Microsoft took substance ressource from teh Longhorn Project for over a year to work at rapid rate to patch security holes. When Windows XP was released, Microsoft said that they needed to rework the whole core to meet the security of 'tomorrow', which quickly became today, and support the next generation of hardware and technologies.

Vista was indeed quiet buggy (assuming you installed it on a system that ran the OS), especially before SP1, but its paved new foundations which allowed the creation of Windows 7, which in turn allowed to have eventually Windows 10, and the future of Windows. What I mean is that due to the new core design, it allowed Microsoft to do work on the back without breaking everything, mostly drivers (relatively few drivers are impacted by changes). While we (mostly) enjoy Windows 10, since the OS was released, Microsoft introduced OneCore, a core common for all platform of its OS, and right now making the OS components based in front of our eyes, without noticing. Ultimately, and this is the current direction of Microsoft, including the replacement of the aged old Shell32 with CShell, a proper auto-adapting interface, allowing a better experience for convertible devices. We don't know what MS has planned, but it could allow manufacture to pick any edition/version of Windows, and add phone support or LTE support easily, using native approaches for improved experiences for example.

Its possible to make Win2K run apps designed for much later OS versions...

1) Install the Unofficial Service Pack 5

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000-wip/

2) Install the Win2K Kernel Extensions

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149233-kernelex-for-win2000/

3) Use the Kernel Extensions to install your new apps

4) ???

5) Profit

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)