Can you power GPU up without mobo for testing?

iiNNeX

Hey guys,

I was given a GTX 690 which is supposedly "dead". The card looks in pristine condition, not a spec of dust on it and from what I've been told it lived in an expensive rendering machine that was never really used much.

So anyway back to my point, I am trying to see if there is a way to power the card with my PSU and see if it even turns on without connecting it to a motherboard? My 400W Seasonic Platinum PSU would not boot it when it was on an old AM3+ motherboard, but I believe that is because the card requires more power?

Alternatively, if it is problematic can it in some way damage a good working motherboard if installed?

Thanks!

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Nope. Just stick it in your main rig to test it? Apparently it has a 850w psu. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

It will also get up to 75 watts of power from the PCI-e slot. (and I would asume it would need some feedback to boot up propperly) So no: it won't work/boot. Doesn't geth anything to display anyways.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

It will also get up to 75 watts of power from the PCI-e slot. (and I would asume it would need some feedback to boot up propperly) So no: it won't work/boot. Doesn't geth anything to display anyways.

Yeah that's true, but on the AM3 board the machine would not boot at all, like not even fans turn on. So I think that meant lack of power perhaps? I ll slap it on the X370 Prime later today and see if that gets to boot it as that machine has a 850W psu so should be plenty.

Not sure what a 690 needs to post, but 400 watts does sound limiting. You can always try. At this moment, it's a paper weight. (and I wonder if it should remain a paper weight, since it's an old power hungry card. Think of your electric bill vs a newer GPU with same performance or better. Free isn't always free)

Idle, it will only draw about 110W.  So you have more then enough power to boot with that Seasonic. Plugged in both 6(+2) connectors?

power_0.png

Probably dead, should have POSTed in that AM3 system but check in your other system as well because if it works it's not a bad card

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I agree with you here @Unoffical-ChrisK , but I remember having lurked some vids on YT where cards wouldn't post with a too weak PSU. (and I also seem to remember that a system will do a power spike in the first second/few seconds after trying to boot up.

(didn't people break there hardware when they would add lots of voltages to their CPU OC, crash and reboot with a massive added power skipe, breaking stuff?)

22 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Not sure what a 690 needs to post, but 400 watts does sound limiting. You can always try. At this moment, it's a paper weight. (and I wonder if it should remain a paper weight, since it's an old power hungry card. Think of your electric bill vs a newer GPU with same performance or better. Free isn't always free)

Should at least POST I thought though, unless there is a power spike in the first few seconds which the system cannot take along with it's other components (a few HDDs, 6 fans, FX6300 @ 4.7ghz ect..). 

And yea I know it's power hungry, I just wanted to see if I am going to be keeping it as a pretty looking piece on the wall or if it works I can sell it as they go for decent money :)

19 minutes ago, Unoffical-ChrisK said:

Idle, it will only draw about 110W.  So you have more then enough power to boot with that Seasonic. Plugged in both 6(+2) connectors?

power_0.png

Yeah It should indeed post according to this, all I can think of is a power spike in the beginning preventing this.

I ll try in the Prime tonight and see.

The FX 6300 should be running on 3,5 ghz stock, with a turbo to 4.1 ghz, right? So having it run on 4,7 ghz is a nice little OC. But this most likely adds to the power spike/power draw. Especialy at boot-up. While the GPU would also like it's power... Maybe put the CPU back at stock speeds, and check if the GPU is dead? If it won't output, try a bigger PSU if you have one. If it still won't output, it's probably dead. (like the person who gave it to you said anyways)

6 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

And yea I know it's power hungry, I just wanted to see if I am going to be keeping it as a pretty looking piece on the wall or if it works I can sell it as they go for decent money :)

Honestly, considering it consumes less then 2 680's its not THAT horrible and idle isn't terribad. Back in the day, these were the best mining cards when the craze hit. But nowadays, that's considered poor TDP.

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

he FX 6300 should be running on 3,5 ghz stock, with a turbo to 4.1 ghz, right?

That's absolutely correct.

So your stock is now 4.7? Adding 30% or so extra will definitely draw more out of the PSU. Since it's only 95 watts stock, I would try and set it back to normal and see if that works. GPU (idle 110w)+CPU (stock 95w)+ hard drives/DVD etc = way less then 400 and should post/boot.

And yeah Dutch I've personally come across that before where the PSU is too weak to boot, but that was usually with no name brands that didn't actually have their stated specs and/or under volted.

12 minutes ago, Unoffical-ChrisK said:

That's absolutely correct.

So your stock is now 4.7? Adding 30% or so extra will definitely draw more out of the PSU. Since it's only 95 watts stock, I would try and set it back to normal and see if that works. GPU (idle 110w)+CPU (stock 95w)+ hard drives/DVD etc = way less then 400 and should post/boot.

And yeah Dutch I've personally come across that before where the PSU is too weak to boot, but that was usually with no name brands that didn't actually have their stated specs and/or under volted.

Well that system is gone now anyway, it was replaced by the Ryzen system in my signature, so now that I have double the wattage I will try it out after work tonight. The FX6300 did me well though, that overclock was on it for 3 years straight!