Computer not POSTing.

Hi.

I recently got a new case and reassembled my computer (Specs attached to bottom). The computer worked completely fine and operated perfectly (running the latest bios version). The next day I was tweaking some settings in the bios (Namely the setting that turns off USB devices when the computer is off), however when I restarted it the computer blue screened (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) on boot. I rebooted the computer however now it fails to POST.

During the POST, the CPU and RAM LEDs turn on and off, however when it gets to VGA, it stays illuminated.

I have tested the PSU, RAM, Graphics Card, as well as testing without any hard drives, to the same result. The only parts I couldn't test were the CPU and MOBO. I have a way to test the CPU, but it is annoying however if you think I should then I can.

I also plugged in the MOBO speaker, and it returns 2 beeps, pause, 4 beeps. I haven't the slightest what this means; GIGABYTE's documentation on this is quite poor.

I have also tried clearing the CMOS, both by bridging the pins, and by removing the battery. I also know this worked as the RGB lights changed back to their default.

Specs:

Mobo - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3

CPU - Ryzen 1700

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2666 MHz

PSU - Corsair CX 550

GPU - EVGA 1060 FTW+

I'm pretty sure the answer is RMA, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. It seems strange that it just stopped.

Thanks in advance for any help, and let me know if you need more information.

Brad.

Seems like a bad GPU driver. That error code indicated a corrupted or incompatible driver. Do you have a spare old GPU?

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Firecheetah13 said:

The VGA Debug LED is reminiscent of your GPU, so take that as you will.

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried. I tried a different GPU in both PCIe slots, which still didn't work. I also tried my current GPU in my second PC and it did work. Definitely not the GPU.

It's probably the GPU driver or a driver for the mobo (PCIe), but the issue is that Ryzen doesn't have onboard graphics. Can you get to the BIOS?

@Brad Rawlings http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1653275/fix-irql-equal-error-windows.html - I found this, it's worth a try

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

It's probably the GPU driver or a driver for the mobo (PCIe), but the issue is that Ryzen doesn't have onboard graphics. Can you get to the BIOS?

Thanks for the reply. If I did reset the CMOS, would this have cleared the corrupted driver (since the SSD with windows isn't actually plugged in). If it did do I need to do something special to reinstall it?

Currently I cannot access the BIOS.

Side question: does resetting CMOS clear drivers on the mobo (is that even a thing). Also does it clear the updated BIOS?

Just now, Brad Rawlings said:

Thanks for the reply. If I did reset the CMOS, would this have cleared the corrupted driver (since the SSD with windows isn't actually plugged in). If it did do I need to do something special to reinstall it?

Currently I cannot access the BIOS.

Side question: does resetting CMOS clear drivers on the mobo (is that even a thing). Also does it clear the updated BIOS?

I have no idea. You probably have to uninstall the driver from within windows. Try to boot into the troubleshooting menu and booting into safe mode. View the dump file from the blue screen and uninstall the bad driver. I put a tomshardware link with that step-by-step process in my last reply.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

I have no idea. You probably have to uninstall the driver from within windows. Try to boot into the troubleshooting menu and booting into safe mode. View the dump file from the blue screen and uninstall the bad driver. I put a tomshardware link with that step-by-step process in my last reply.

Unfortunately I can't even post, let alone boot into windows. The blue screen is fixed when I use thew windows hard drive in another computer, so I don't  think it is windows.

Thanks for your help

I guess at this point, unplug everything. Hold your power button for 15 seconds (obviously nothing will happen). Then clear CMOS again. And try with only a single stick of RAM.

Spoiler

@Unimaginative Name has nothing to do with drivers if he's not posting (can't get to the BIOS). Drivers load during Windows startup.

@Brad Rawlings try installing the GPU on a different PCIE slot. If that doesn't work, try getting your hands on a known working GPU (maybe a friend has one laying around?).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

@wkdpaul Sorry for the delay. 

I have tried a different working GPU in both PCIe ports of the motherboard, still no post. I also have tested my current GPU in another motherboard and it worked. 

Is there any chance this is a cpu problem. That and the motherboard are the only parts I can't test. (All other parts work fine). If I can rule out the CPU then that will make it easier

Thanks. 

If you can go to a small computer shop they could help you out in troubleshooting it, just bring the CPU and ask if they have a build they could test your CPU on, if that doesn't work you'll know it's the CPU and if it works you'll know it's the motherboard.

Sometimes those small PC repair shop will accept to do that for free or for a small fee.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !