nVidia GeForce HDMI audio vs Soundblaater

PatrickCie

I’ve had a hard time researching a meaningful answer to this. But ever since I upgraded my home theater to use HDMI ports I miss my old receiver. This one is actually on the cheap side, compared to the speakers it drives. Currently I just use the HDMI output from my 1080 for sound, but I wonder how much better the sound could get with a different reciever (still using HDMI) or of I picked up the new sound blaster, and reciever with multi-channel input. 

Pros and cons? Quality gains to be had?

Intel i7 7700k, EVGA 1080 FTW,  EVGA Supernova 850 g3, Corsair Vengeance, NZXT Kraken x62, Corsair Crystal 570x, Yamaha RX-V377. Klipsch Synergy2 5 channel sound system. Klipsch Synergy SubWoofer 15" 800watts

Acer H6510DB DLP projecting a 177" picture.

HDMI audio output is digital.

There will be no difference from using optical on a sound card, and it will be better than using multiple 3.5mm/RCA outputs.

The sound quality will only depend on the quality of the amps in the receiver.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Like the signature. I believe my sub draws more watts from the wall than my pc. 

Many recommendations for a good reciever under $500?

Intel i7 7700k, EVGA 1080 FTW,  EVGA Supernova 850 g3, Corsair Vengeance, NZXT Kraken x62, Corsair Crystal 570x, Yamaha RX-V377. Klipsch Synergy2 5 channel sound system. Klipsch Synergy SubWoofer 15" 800watts

6 hours ago, PatrickCie said:

Like the signature. I believe my sub draws more watts from the wall than my pc. 

Many recommendations for a good reciever under $500?

A standalone option under $500 is kind of hard to recommend. Denon has the 3000 series that is an incredible box of features, but it is severely anemic as far bass. I have my X3200 connected to a separate Emotiva amplifier, and I am in audio heaven. 

Keep an eye out. The newest model, the X3400 I believe, goes on sale to $500 every now and then. I recommend buying a used amplifier locally. Or even the X3200 or X3300 used as well. Anything above the X3200 has all HDMI 2.0 inputs and is HDCP2.2 compliant. So you should be good up to 4K 60 Hz.

My only issue with dedicated amplifiers is that most amps only seem to support two channels. Do most people just use an amp for their main channels, and the receiver's build in amp for surround and center?