Help me choose a phone.

nohuevos

I will be getting my first ever smartphone on Monday, so as you can probably imagine I am very excited. The only issue is that I don't know what one to get.

I am really open to anything but the phones that I have been thinking about are the S4, the 5S, and the HTC One. As of right now I am leaning towards the HTC One. I have read that the camera isn't the best but from the picture samples I have looked up for it, it seems fine to me.

I love the look of both the Iphone and the HTC. They look and feel like premium phones. I know the S4 is probably the best phone in terms of features but I like the look of it the least and I don't think that it has that same quality feel to it.

I have heard the Iphone has better applications; is that true? I have an Ipod so I know what its app store is like but how about the androids? Am I going to miss out on any good apps?

I don't know guys! Tell me what to get because I honestly don't know! If there is some other phone out there that is better let me know. The only criteria I have is that it's not bigger than the S4 because I have somewhat small hands

let me just clear this up for you

android has all of the applications iphone had and vice versa

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

nexus 5

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Go play with what they have on display and decide from that how it feels. That's probably the best way to help you decide. What works for someone else may not work for you.

HTC One, I have it and I looooovvvveee it. But whatever works best for you, just read reviews and try to test a couple out 

Fractal R4- 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz- Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb- 2TB Wd Black- 256 GB Samsung SSD- Cosair 760w PSU- Corsair h80i- ASUS CU II GTX 780- ASUS VI Hero LGA 1150

Anything android, but nexus 5 IMO

Or HTC one

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

iphone 5s ;D 

CPU 5900x| GPU 3080ti FE| MOBO MSI MPG CARBON MAX| RAM 32GB VENGENCE PRO 3200Mhz| STORAGE Samsung 980 Pro 1TB,2X WDSN750,4TB Seagate Barracuda| COOLING 1x Corsair 360mm XR7 54mm Radiator,1x EK-CoolStream PE 360mm Radiator| GPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XG7 RGB| CPU Block: Corsair Hydro X Series, XC5 RGB| Fittings: EK-Torque STC & Corsair Hydro X Series XF| Pump/Res: EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 D5| Tubing: Corsair Hydro X Series XT Softline| Liquid: Corsair Hydro X Series XL5 Clear| Fans: 10x Corsair SP120 RGB

I'm so torn! I feel like the only reason I want an Iphone is because I see everyone in my school walking around with one in their hand.

Let me ask this, can I really go wrong with any of those three phones?

HTC One or Nexus 5. :D

If anything wait..exactly one year ago around october/november I got my HTC One X and a couple months later the HTC One appeared officially (obviously rumored as the M7) I do kinda regret not waiting but I was stuck with my Sony xperia x10 mini pro. It was descent I should've waited but I would've been paying like £40+ 24month contract with my current network provider.

If your choosing any smartphone that has already come out I'd say get one that will fit your hand size comfortably, decide if you'd like a android/iOS based smartphone although most are iOS, what does your network have to offer currently on deals (any bundles)?

Just throwing this out there HTC aren't doing to well for high end smartphones and maybe dropping out. The new iPhone from the 5 series are all attricous until the sixth one comes out it'll be a continuous mystery and rumor.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I have a HTC one. The camera isn't that amazing or anything, but it's perfectly acceptable. It's hardware features are amazing, and has minimal bloatware (unlike Samsung IMHO). 

I personally love android because of it's customization, and I experience so many bugs in iOS.  I wouldn't recommend the current Iphone, it's under-powered and overpriced. (dual core processor, 1 GB of ram)-similar specs to Samsung Galaxy S2

the samsung galaxy S4 and the HTC one both rock Snapdragon 600 processors, newer phones like the Nexus 5 or Sony Xperia have the newer generation the Snapdragon 800

Marques Brownlee does amazing phone reviews if you want more info.

https://www.youtube.com/user/marquesbrownlee

also.... at least I wish i went with a phablet form factor. 

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

Please do BOINC. no matter how small a contribution it can make a difference. 

I'm so torn! I feel like the only reason I want an Iphone is because I see everyone in my school walking around with one in their hand.

Don't follow the herd.

No, you can't really go wrong with any of then.

Nexus 5 isn't too bad but the camera app isn't great neither is the battery which is 2300mAh so light usage will last maybe the entire day. (From my experience with the One X which is 1800mAh which is burned in the first maybe 3hours but the 4.2.2 update is really good when my phone is on any battery percentage)

Galaxy Note 3 is quite an awesome phablet. Battery is the best and probably runs great for gaming/watching youtube and other media,writing emails/and notes 2 days of battery straight out of the box.

HTC One.....dynamic build quality that hasn't been precedent before in the entire phone industry (other than the iPhone 4/S release back in 2010).

Sony xperia zone not stupid Z1 marketing is descent for trips and drops..into water. I quite like the user interface at bone stock if that interests you.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

What are you current options right now?

What are you current options right now?

What do you mean? What phones can I choose from?

I am in the United States and my phone carrier is Sprint so I can choose from these

All the new smartphones look kinda tacky right now...

the HTC One is 9 months old now since the official release on the Ides of March (15th of March)

Note 3 arrived 2 months ago I think...the same as the Nexus 5. iPhone 5 launched at September 21, 2012 Not the 5S/5C

So you can wait for a new phone which should maybe come no later the Q2,2014 but there should be new phones out in the next 4-6months if you can be patient and wait.

All the new smartphones look kinda tacky right now...

the HTC One is 9 months old now since the official release on the Ides of March (15th of March)

Note 3 arrived 2 months ago I think...the same as the Nexus 5. iPhone 5 launched at September 21, 2012 Not the 5S/5C

So you can wait for a new phone which should maybe come no later the Q2,2014 but there should be new phones out in the next 4-6months if you can be patient and wait.

I understand that there are new phones coming but if I wait for the new phones in 5 months then I'll end up waiting again for the even newer phones 5 months after that.

I really want the HTC One but it is starting to get old. I might end up going with the 5S.

What phone do you have currently? Also a phone is just a phone it's meant and designed for 2 sole purposes sending easy brief sms/text messages and calling. Whatever phone your have should hold out I guess unless your ego is that needy :(.

What plan are you on 3G or 4G LTE? that can also dictate what smartphone you want.

What phone do you have currently? Also a phone is just a phone it's meant and designed for 2 sole purposes sending easy brief sms/text messages and calling. Whatever phone your have should hold out I guess unless your ego is that needy :(.

What plan are you on 3G or 4G LTE? that can also dictate what smartphone you want.

My current phone is the LG Rumor Reflex and Sprint currently does not offer 4G in my state (Nebraska)

phones are designed for a whole lot more than just text/calling. look at the hundred's of thousands of apps. 

“Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.”    -Henry Ford

phones are designed for a whole lot more than just text/calling. look at the hundred's of thousands of apps. 

You don't quite understand my meaning. Yes for "Smartphones" Back when the Nokia was king of the world 7 years ago not many applications existed that were necessary like Alarm, Calender, Notes, Call history, Game file with snake/bounce.

However now during and from the past 2008 till now 2013. yes we have mobile phones which are called Smartphones which can use 10'000 apps.

You don't quite understand my meaning. Yes for "Smartphones" Back when the Nokia was king of the world 7 years ago not many applications existed that were necessary like Alarm, Calender, Notes, Call history, Game file with snake/bounce.

However now during and from the past 2008 till now 2013. yes we have mobile phones which are called Smartphones which can use 10'000 apps.

So back on topic...

My parents are getting me and my sister new phones for Christmas and we are picking them out Monday so waiting really isn't an option.

Do you think the HTC One is still a viable option considering it's age? 

So back on topic...

My parents are getting me and my sister new phones for Christmas and we are picking them out Monday so waiting really isn't an option.

Do you think the HTC One is still a viable option considering it's age? 

yeah, mine's still quite snappy. I think the only main reason to go for a more-recent phone right now would be if you were a serious mobile gamer. 

However, there are some fantastic newer phone's on the market now which will be slightly more powerful. LG G2, Galaxy Note 3, Moto X(lower specs, but still amazing device), Sony Xperia Z1. Each of these phone's has their own merits. I linked some videos if you are interested.