Setting up 144hz on laptop help please.

Armakar

Hey guys,

PC is out of commision for the minute. I got sick of the coil whine from my GPU, so I sent it back (it was VERY loud and annoying). Same goes with CPU cooler.

I'm wanting to use my laptop and "dock" it - plugging in my keyboard, mouse, monitor etc. It's more than powerful enough to push 1440p 144hz on certain games.

My problem is the screen refuses to go to even 120hz 1080p. It's a 165hz, 1440p G-Sync 24" ACER preadator monitor.

I have to connect it via HDMI, because my laptop only has MiniDP and I don't have a DP-MiniDP cable. When I connect it, it shows up as a native 2560x1440, with no option to change the refresh rate above 60hz even at 1080p. The only way I can change the refresh rate is with a custom resolution, which doesn't work, even at 120hz (more than what the monitor is capable of).

I know HDMI isn't capable of speeds like DP is, but.. shouldn't it be able to push 120hz @ 1080p? Because NVidia control panel won't let me.

Specs in signature for main rig and the laptop i'm using. Many thanks.

edit; I tried an HDMI-MiniDP adaptor, still won't let me push even 100hz.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

You're probably better off sticking with native res at 60HZ until you can get a mini-DP to DP cable.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

get a miniDP-DP cable if you need it for an extended time, they're not *that* expensive.

my guess is its a limit of the specific standard of HDMI built into the laptop, or maybe even the display.

Just now, manikyath said:

get a miniDP-DP cable if you need it for an extended time, they're not *that* expensive.

my guess is its a limit of the specific standard of HDMI built into the laptop, or maybe even the display.

Your right. In my display settings, it's limited to 60hz and I can't seem to change it. I really don't want to go back to 60hz... Insanley laggy for me

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

Your right. In my display settings, it's limited to 60hz and I can't seem to change it. I really don't want to go back to 60hz... Insanley laggy for me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Mini-DisplayPort-Adapter-Cable/dp/B002XVYZ82 here ya go.

not the cheapest you can go, but i trust startech (just) enough to send that link without having tested their cable for myself first.

Just now, Armakar said:

The HDMI port on that laptop should be HDMI 2.0 but I can't seem to confirm on it. Their brand new Omen is rated at HDMI 2.0a. DP on your laptop is rated at 1.2.

According to this chart, even HDMI 1.4 should allow 144Hz when running at 1080P.

Scroll down for chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

13 minutes ago, Armakar said:

create a custom resolution with the hz u want, if that wont output it the port u got it connected to doesnt support it, coz then the gpu will FORCE that resolution no matter what, if ports or w/e dont support it ul have a blac kscreen for 15sec and then itl revert

(◑‿◐)