Opinions on the HP pavilion 14-bf153sa

I'm currently deciding on which laptop to purchase, I've came across this one for a good deal, it has an i7-8550u, 8GB ram and a 256GB SSD, here's the link to it: 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-14-bf153sa-14-laptop-silver-10169120-pdt.html

I'd be using the laptop for college work as well as programming on unity (nothing to intensive currently) and some light gaming.

the only problem is i cant find much information on it or any good reviews, so if there are any users of this laptop i have a few questions: 

- what is the build quality like ?

- is the ram up-gradable? 

- whats your overall opinion on the laptop ?

thanks. 

duel core i7 makes me sad

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Just now, ITheSpazI said:

duel core i7 makes me sad

That thing has a 8550U which is a quad core HT ;) 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

That thing has a 8550U which is a quad core HT ;) 

yeah, the only problem is i cant find any information on if the ram is soldered on as i would like to upgrade to 16 in the future, my pc has 8 and when im working its usually using almost all of it up. 

5 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

yeah, the only problem is i cant find any information on if the ram is soldered on as i would like to upgrade to 16 in the future, my pc has 8 and when im working its usually using almost all of it up. 

Its predecessor looks like this, and it doesn't seem like the current model has a different casing at all, so you're probably good to go. Edit: nope, this is still the current model hah :) 

2001745779.jpeg

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

17 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

- what is the build quality like ?

- is the ram up-gradable? 

- whats your overall opinion on the laptop ?

-Mediocre build quality

-Not sure but I guess the RAM is not soldered in most Pavilion laptops so upgradable

-Overall: Pavilion is from HP entry level lineup so avoid if you can. Mediocre build quality, entry level IPS panel, OKish input devices, OKish battery life, questionable QC

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

18 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

-Mediocre build quality

-Not sure but I guess the RAM is not soldered in most Pavilion laptops so upgradable

-Overall: Pavilion is from HP entry level lineup so avoid if you can. Mediocre build quality, entry level IPS panel, OKish input devices, OKish battery life, questionable QC

22 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Its predecessor looks like this, and it doesn't seem like the current model has a different casing at all, so you're probably good to go. Edit: nope, this is still the current model hah :) 

2001745779.jpeg

thanks for your input, another option would be this: 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-7570-15-6-laptop-silver-10169904-pdt.html

which has an i5-8250u, 8gb ram and a 256 gb ssd, priced at £719

(could go for the i7 version which is £850)

2 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-7570-15-6-laptop-silver-10169904-pdt.html

That Dell is also upgradeable, RAM and SSD wise, so that's good. The Inspiron is Dell's consumer grade segment just like HP's Pavilion, so build wise there shouldn't be too much difference between them. Also, the 8250U is also 4C/8T so spending 130 quid more for the i7 is a waste.

2 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

OKish display, weak battery life, OKish input devices. i7 version not worth it due to TDP limitation in ULV CPUs (about the same performance with i5). Most laptops from Dell Inspiron lineup are cheaped out. For about the same price, try search for Asus Zenbooks with KB-R CPU, Lenovo 720S/Yoga 720 with KB-R CPU, Dell XPS 13, HP Spectre/Envy lineup.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

OKish display, weak battery life, OKish input devices. i7 version not worth it due to TDP limitation in ULV CPUs (about the same performance with i5). Most laptops from Dell Inspiron lineup are cheaped out. For about the same price, try search for Asus Zenbooks with KB-R CPU, Lenovo 720S/Yoga 720 with KB-R CPU, Dell XPS 13, HP Spectre/Envy lineup.

thanks for the advice :) ill have a look at those now 

On 27/12/2017 at 3:08 PM, ZM Fong said:

I too am looking at the same HP laptop as the OP. What's KB-R CPU? Kaby Lake? If so the HP has this. Also, from what I can see, Asus Zenbooks are a lot more money, although they do look very nice.

19 minutes ago, mhk1058 said:

I too am looking at the same HP laptop as the OP. What's KB-R CPU? Kaby Lake? If so the HP has this. Also, from what I can see, Asus Zenbooks are a lot more money, although they do look very nice.

KB-R is Kaby Lake Refresh. Asus Zenbooks not only looks nice but also have good display, good build quality, good battery life which is important factors. HP Pavilion laptops are usually cheaped out so avoid them (mediocre build quality and battery life, entry level IPS panel, questionable QC etc)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, mhk1058 said:

my main choice currently is the hp envy 13 which has a quad core 8th generation i5, 8gb ram (soldered on) and 128gb m.2 ssd which can be upgraded, i was thinking about getting the zenbook ux330 or the ux430 but the dual core i5 kinda put me off 

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

KB-R is Kaby Lake Refresh. Asus Zenbooks not only looks nice but also have good display, good build quality, good battery life which is important factors. HP Pavilion laptops are usually cheaped out so avoid them (mediocre build quality and battery life, entry level IPS panel, questionable QC etc)

I do take your point re build quality but the Zenbooks are not close to the HP mentioned by the op in price and the HP does have 8th gen Kaby Lake CPU ( i7-8550U )

9 hours ago, mhk1058 said:

I do take your point re build quality but the Zenbooks are not close to the HP mentioned by the op in price and the HP does have 8th gen Kaby Lake CPU ( i7-8550U )

Because Zenbooks are built much better. They do come with Kaby Lake Refresh CPU.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 30/12/2017 at 12:32 AM, ZM Fong said:

Because Zenbooks are built much better. They do come with Kaby Lake Refresh CPU.

Yes of course, but you said "for about the same price". They are not even close.

4 hours ago, mhk1058 said:

Yes of course, but you said "for about the same price". They are not even close.

Yeah that's because I'm not familiar with pricings in other countries

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

This one's not too bad, it's been popular of late, 940mx is a bit weedy in comparison to the MX150. Also, watch out for the keycaps falling off, they do that even on their higher- end ones. The screen isn't that great, viewing angles aren't amazing and colour reproduction isn't the best. You'd be looking at spending £1k plus for an HP with a decent screen imo. Asus have much nicer screens and less bloatware out of the box. 

Well, I just bought it and it is great for the price. Intel i7 8550 8th generation CPU, Nvidia graphics, nice and compact. Not as small as the Zenbooks or Dell XPS 13 and plastic outer case rather than Aluminium but feels solid, good, responsive track pad and keyboard, B&O sound which is OK. For the money I'd say you'd find it hard to beat. Equivalent spec XPS or Zenbook would be at least £500 more.

For the same money, the best 14" Zenbook I could get was a UX410 with 7th generation i5 7200U with onboard graphics, so the HP is way ahead.

Both had 256GB SSD which is a little on the small side.

MHK   did you pay £699  pc world and are you pleased with it,im tempted

On 03/01/2018 at 10:03 AM, kingscouser said:

MHK   did you pay £699  pc world and are you pleased with it,im tempted

On 02/01/2018 at 10:29 PM, mhk1058 said:

Well, I just bought it and it is great for the price. Intel i7 8550 8th generation CPU, Nvidia graphics, nice and compact. Not as small as the Zenbooks or Dell XPS 13 and plastic outer case rather than Aluminium but feels solid, good, responsive track pad and keyboard, B&O sound which is OK. For the money I'd say you'd find it hard to beat. Equivalent spec XPS or Zenbook would be at least £500 more.

For the same money, the best 14" Zenbook I could get was a UX410 with 7th generation i5 7200U with onboard graphics, so the HP is way ahead.

Both had 256GB SSD which is a little on the small side.

Attention! Im not a tech head, but went and purchased on on the 26th. Started up my own business doing outsource CAD and im also studying Architectural Technology, so i needed something. All i need to run is AutoCAD, Revit and Sketchup, and a few office programmes for College. Bought this as a mobile solution also. Very impressed by it. The 256GB is on the small side but i dont mind using cloud storage/pen drives/portable hard drives. Was wondering about the RAM and how upgradable it is. Cant seem to find anything on hp’s website. Any ideas there??

5 hours ago, Martydozer said:

Attention! Im not a tech head, but went and purchased on on the 26th. Started up my own business doing outsource CAD and im also studying Architectural Technology, so i needed something. All i need to run is AutoCAD, Revit and Sketchup, and a few office programmes for College. Bought this as a mobile solution also. Very impressed by it. The 256GB is on the small side but i dont mind using cloud storage/pen drives/portable hard drives. Was wondering about the RAM and how upgradable it is. Cant seem to find anything on hp’s website. Any ideas there??

The ram can be upgraded, im not sure how much but definitely to 16GB, could support 32 by putting 2 16GB sticks in but im not too sure on that 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 8:44 PM, manlykeweaver465 said:

my main choice currently is the hp envy 13 which has a quad core 8th generation i5, 8gb ram (soldered on) and 128gb m.2 ssd which can be upgraded, i was thinking about getting the zenbook ux330 or the ux430 but the dual core i5 kinda put me off 

You can get an 8th gen i5 for the ux430. I got one, solderded 16gb of ram (tho i think 8gb is good for most application assuming you wont use this as if its a gaming laptop). Also includes 512gb ssd which is good i guess. Build quality is good, smooth as heck in both the surface and mousepad. Sounds are good. Did a simple test , dark room and full screened paint with black as color, saw some white bleed from lower region of the screen, but seriously not seen in a well lit room and moreso when using for normal usage. battery is good, used up 30% for 4 hrs using chrome (with 4 tabs, in the background) and word. So far good shit :))