Which Z170 motherboard to choose? [Poll]

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

Well I suppose if you have your mind set on indeed replacing your already well functioning motherboard for any other the only senseful thing would be the Asus Hero... 60$ ain't bad addition in cost for the premium the motherboard carry.

No point in go on this adventure and not get the best and just feel the buyers regret afterwards the way I see it.

I do have to admit if you want white the MSi Titanium looks gorgeous enough and you know I dislike MSi but damn I have to admit.

Which one is the best?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best?

• ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1
    • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO
    • MSI Z170A MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM
    • ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170S

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey guys,

So I'm looking into getting a better motherboard, prices at the end of the year are ridiculously low and I want to upgrade from my current ASRock Z170 Extreme4.

It's a good board with quite a lot of features for the price but I'd like something better for overclocking as this one has given me some issues.
I'm not looking into upgrading the CPU yet as it's perfectly capable for now so don't suggest that, I'd just like opinions on select motherboards specified below and which is the best considering the prices.

Here are the possible choices, all are brand-new:
1. ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO - (additional cost ~60$)
764502_3_i500.jpeg
2. ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1 - (additional cost ~48$)
1306331-n0.jpg
3. MSI Z170A MPOWER GAMING TITANIUM - (additional cost ~56$)
product-large,,pr_2016_8_3_12_40_19_780.
4. ASUS SABERTOOTH Z170S - (additional cost ~54$)
TUF-Sabertooth-Z170S.jpg

All of the above have the features I need and all of the above are good deals right now. Which one to choose? I'm looking for best overclocking capabilities, and I'm sure that ASUS boards are better than the MSI one for that.

I was originally set on the MAXIMUS VIII HERO board but then I noticed good prices on the Sabertooth ones so I had to re-consider.

@dave_k Maybe our VRM guru can say something about them? :P

Thank you in advance! ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Well I suppose if you have your mind set on indeed replacing your already well functioning motherboard for any other the only senseful thing would be the Asus Hero... 60$ ain't bad addition in cost for the premium the motherboard carry.

No point in go on this adventure and not get the best and just feel the buyers regret afterwards the way I see it.

I do have to admit if you want white the MSi Titanium looks gorgeous enough and you know I dislike MSi but damn I have to admit.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

not to mention it is the only one with 2 M.2 slots, tough i guess the bottom one is still SATA?

Maximus.

Sabertooth 1 is pretty shit, MPower is shit, Sabertooth S has no info online whatsoever

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

Hero, best mosfets and best community. 

32 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Maximus.

Sabertooth 1 is pretty shit, MPower is shit, Sabertooth S has no info online whatsoever

55 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I managed to find an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA for the same price as a regular HERO, I immediately bought it as it has onboard Wi-Fi with an ASUS antenna bundled in (which is a very useful thing to me) and I also ordered a Phanteks adapter for my 1-meter Phanteks LED strip so it's compatible with the Aura RGB header and software.

It's going to be glorious!

Thanks for the input, I can't want for it to ship :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White