About to buy

mpf200

A cheaper HDD, change the cooler to the H5, and the PSU to the Focus Plus Gold 550W. 

:)

3 minutes ago, food158 said:

Why such expensive ram?

RAM is currently insanely expensive, so that's not a bad deal.

1) OS, just don't forget

2) Motherboard, pretty darn important

EDIT: I would go with an NVMe M.2 SSD, maybe a WD Black Series drive. and Z370 board will have and M.2 slot and it will be a little faster for about the same price.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Just now, Unimaginative Name said:

RAM is currently insanely expensive, so that's not a bad deal.

1) OS, just don't forget

2) Motherboard, pretty darn important

Yeah, but the thing is the ram is DDR4-3000; not like 2400 which would lower the price.

Crimson Panda

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/g6T8QV

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

Just now, food158 said:

Yeah, but the thing is the ram is DDR4-3000; not like 2400 which would lower the price.

Yeah, on PCPartPicker the cheapest 2x8GB kits are about $165, and it has no heat spreader (good looking cover), if he's going for easy speed and aesthetic, this is fine, but there are other options. I personally have 2400 ram OC'd to 3000, but currently, there seems to be little price advantage to going with 2400.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

3 minutes ago, food158 said:

Why save 0,7% of the PC price to get 5% worse performance?

7 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

EDIT: I would go with an NVMe M.2 SSD, maybe a WD Black Series drive. and Z370 board will have and M.2 slot and it will be a little faster for about the same price.

NVMe SSD's are pointless for consumers at the moment, unless he's gonna be transferring files for a couple hours per day, the 850 evo will serve him just fine.

Build seems fine, make sure you get a Z370 board(not hard, theyre the only available boards atm anyway) so you can overclock your cpu.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, food158 said:

The difference between DDR4-2133 2x8GB and the OP kit is around $16. The difference between DDR4-2666, the Coffee Lake memory controller rated speed, and the OP kit is less than $10. The OP memory pick strikes me as quite reasonable.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Yeah, on PCPartPicker the cheapest 2x8GB kits are about $165, and it has no heat spreader (good looking cover), if he's going for easy speed and aesthetic, this is fine, but there are other options. I personally have 2400 ram OC'd to 3000, but currently, there seems to be little price advantage to going with 2400.

Is the price difference really that minuscule? My thinking was Intel doesn't have much benefit compared to something like a Ryzen in terms of RAM speed.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

1 minute ago, brob said:

The difference between DDR4-2133 2x8GB and the OP kit is around $16. The difference between DDR4-2666, the Coffee Lake memory controller rated speed, and the OP kit is less than $10. The OP memory pick strikes me as quite reasonable.

That price difference makes me sad.

Crimson Panda

AKG K712 PRO

OL DAC
Magni 3

10 minutes ago, food158 said:

Why such expensive ram?

that ram is not that much have you looked at prices recently??

3 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

NVMe SSD's are pointless for consumers at the moment, unless he's gonna be transferring files for a couple hours per day, the 850 evo will serve him just fine.

Build seems fine, make sure you get a Z370 board(not hard, theyre the only available boards atm anyway) so you can overclock your cpu.

The price difference between the 850 EVO and an NVMe drive is only $10, which isn't that unreasonable. At least get an M.2, because awesome (and the prices are equal).

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Unimaginative Name said:

The price difference between the 850 EVO and an NVMe drive is only $10, which isn't that unreasonable. At least get an M.2, because awesome (and the prices are equal).

No. Because there's more to an SSD than sequential writes. In 4K performance, low end NVMe SSDs tend to fall behind good SATA SSDs.