Hamilton

Before I talk, I'll list my specs:

CPU - AMD Athlon X4 760K

GPU - MSI GTX 960

RAM - 1x8GB DDR3

Storage - 1TB WD Black HDD

PSU - Corsair CX430

Mobo - AMD A78M-E35 (micro ATX)

Case - Rosewill LINE-M (running stock case fans)

I've been running this setup for a while, and performance has been almost painful at times. I've gotten the impression that my CPU has been the main bottleneck of the system (if I'm wrong, then this forum post is kinda pointless. please point out where I'm wrong, and tell me what I can do better). When running games, quality settings often automatically set themselves to high, but I have to end up turning them down to get framerates that are anywhere near tolerable. Games like The Division (don't judge, I play on free weekends) are actually unplayable because the street I'm walking on won't load fast enough, so I'll often end up falling through the world while my friends run ahead of me. 

I built the rig almost four years ago on a strict budget, and I haven't really had the money to put towards upgrading it since. Even now I'm on a budget of somewhere around $200 (flexible by about $50). I've been looking at changing to an AM3+ mobo and upgrading my CPU to an FX-8350 or an FX-9590 (I'm aware that the 9590 "requires" water cooling). I was planning on digging around craigslist and ebay to find the best deal possible.

I wanted to get input from you guys to see if this upgrade is a good idea/necessary. If you have any alternative suggestions or advice, please let me know. I have relatively low experience in the area of computer hardware, so I'm definitely not stubborn. I'll probably trust your opinions more than my own. Please throw out suggestions for CPUs, coolers, mobos, cases, etc. I'm open to ideas.

Also, if there is room in the budget at all, I would really like to get a different case. I don't need to keep the micro ATX form factor. Size doesn't really matter to me. The LINE-M just doesn't have any room to manage cables (my PSU isn't modular), and it only has one fan for intake and one for outtake.

Thanks!

Go with a Ryzen 3 1200, 8gb (2x4) of DDR4 2400, and a B350 motherboard.  Should be right in your budget, and will give you a great experience over your old Athlon X4.  

Edited by zombienerd
My 2 key doesn't like to work.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

5 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Go with a Ryzen 3 1200, 8gb (2x4) of DDR4 400, and a B350 motherboard.  Should be right in your budget, and will give you a great experience over your old Athlon X4.  

Go for 3,000MHz RAM, not 400. 0.o

5 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Go with a Ryzen 3 1200, 8gb (2x4) of DDR4 400, and a B350 motherboard.  Should be right in your budget, and will give you a great experience over your old Athlon X4.  

I don't think that mobo (ATX) would fit my case (a mATX). Also, I'm looking at PassMark scores to judge the extent of the upgrade. The Ryzen 3 1200 scores significantly lower than both the FX CPUs. Would it still be worth it?

1 minute ago, GearheadMV said:

I don't think that mobo (ATX) would fit my case (a mATX). Also, I'm looking at PassMark scores to judge the extent of the upgrade. The Ryzen 3 1200 scores significantly lower than both the FX CPUs. Would it still be worth it?

Oh! I just caught a mistake. I found the micro ATX versions of the motherboard. My bad

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

6 hours ago, Woldraxe said:

Go for 3,000MHz RAM, not 400. 0.o

Lol, my 2 key is dodgy on my laptop.   Meant 2400.

6 hours ago, GearheadMV said:

Where were you looking?

Userbenchmark Link - 8350

Userbenchmark Link - 9590

As you can see from the links above, the Ryzen 1200 smacks both of them.  Beyond that, it's brand new architecture, with an upgrade path to much better CPU's as the prices go down over the next year or two.  I hate to use the word "futureproof", but it's pretty good right now.  Upgrade late next year to a Ryzen 7 for probably about $150.

As for motherboards, they have mATX versions of all the Ryzen Chipsets (A320, B350, and X370).  B350 tends to be the crowd pleaser, as it's budget, allows overclocking, and tends to just work well.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450