Current build vs new build

hello im currently building my new pc just waiting for the parts and i got my gpu first so i decided to just put the 1080ti in my old pc while i wait and ive noticed in games i only get 50 to 70 percent gpu usage and my cpu is around 80 to 90 percent in pretty much all AAA title games like gta, dishonored 2 and other games like the forest and it does the same thing with valley the bechmarking tool so with my new build i got a i5 8400 would you say this 8400 would be a huge step up from the i5 4460 it seems like the old cpu is a massive bottleneck right now...

2 minutes ago, SxcDxcyyy said:

hello im currently building my new pc just waiting for the parts and i got my gpu first so i decided to just put the 1080ti in my old pc while i wait and ive noticed in games i only get 50 to 70 percent gpu usage and my cpu is around 80 to 90 percent in pretty much all AAA title games like gta, dishonored 2 and other games like the forest and it does the same thing with valley the bechmarking tool so with my new build i got a i5 8400 would you say this 8400 would be a huge step up from the i5 4460 it seems like the old cpu is a massive bottleneck right now...

Yes, that is a great idea. If you’re overclocking, I recommend the i5 8600K.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy13 said:

To be honest, If you have got a 1080ti, it seems wrong not to pair it with an i7, especially because you are buying new. An i5 8400 isa  reasonable step up from a haswell i5. The i5 8400 performs similar to the i7 4690k out beating it actually. It is certainly a good upgrade, but you have a 1080ti! It is wrong not to give it a i7. Depending on the game you will still be somewhat CPU bottle necked.

well i thought the cpu wouldn't matter as much because i'm in 1440p but for the high refresh rate it does but i'm happy with 100 + frames in most games not looking for all ultra settings and a few bechmarks reakon the 8400 is as good as the 7700k

1 minute ago, RandomGuy13 said:

You are absolutely right, but it different games will be balanced differently to the GPU and CPU. I think if you had a 1080 your system would be perfectly balanced with an i5 coffee lake, but personally I would save up for just a little extra to get i7-8700K. Its upto you really, Only because you have such a powerful graphics card, I wouldn't want to buy a new CPU that is just borderline good enough.

I must admit that i'm not too familiar with coffee lake performance and I know that the I5 8600k has 6 cores. And I'm sure the performance is much more similar to the 7700k in some games. I would have said that the 7700k is a fine match so if they do perform equally then I guess that's fine.

Yeah i only plan to game not editing or anything the 7700k seems the be more powerful on bf1 because of the more threads but in other games the i5 8400 seems to be like 5 to 10 percent better thats why i went with the 1080ti if its as good as the 7700k hahaha seemed like a good match and i was sorta on a budget 

Honestly just save for a 8700k or at least a 8600k