New Higher Quality Fans | Higher Temps

WaitDontSh00t

You may have seen a post about my Fan/Rad Setup lately. Long story short, I replaced all the fans in my case. (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)

Replaced:

- Kraken x61 Stock fans with Noctua 140mm Chromax (Push Exhaust, same as before)

- x2 980Ti Hybrid Stock fans with Noctua 120mm Chromax (One is Push Exhaust back of case, the other is a Pull Intake on Bottom)

- Top 140mm Stock Case fan with Noctua 140mm Chromax Exhaust

- Still have stock front intake 200mm Phanteks Fan

Unfortunately I really don't notice any difference in temperature. I feel like my CPU temps are a bit higher now for some reason, even on max fan speed (Which is for some reason not 1500, won't go that high). GPU Temps seem about the same, possibly a tad higher, but my bottom card is typically 8-10C lower than my top. Not quite sure what to do, new fans didn't seem to make a difference which sucks.

Temps were never terrible in the first place, but they sure don't seem better now.

Current Temps I'm getting while gaming:

Cpu- Highest I've seen was ~62C (i7-6700k @ 4.5)

Top Gpu- Highest I've seen was ~60C 

Bottom Gpu- Depends on the game. Typically when SLI is used, I see ~8-10C Lower.

Either the temps are borderline the same or higher than usual. Was I expecting too much or is something else going on? I kept the fan setup the exact same, just with new fans. I'm extremely bummed since I spent a lot of money on these fans and I'm not quite sure what to do now.

Hopefully someone can help me out, I appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance!

What you should have changed was that Kraken X61, you could try a nicer air cooler in place of the 240 AIO, something like a Scythe Fuma if you want a cost x benefit or a Cryorig R1 if you wanna go balls to the wall.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Fans don't make an enormous difference.

Ususally the difference with expensive fans is in noise level, not temps.

You'll probably find your new fans are pushing the same amount of air as your old ones, just at a lower noise level.

You can help by buying "static pressure" optimised fans for radiators, and other high resistance areas.

Hope this helps :)

And did you take in consideration the CFM rating of the new fans? I haven't looked at the specs, but its possible that your older fans had a higher CFM rate.

I conducted a fun test the other day, just for the sake of it, i have a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme on my pfSense machine, i decided to swap the fan on it for a 3.3a Nidec Beta V VA450DC, at max speed (jet engine loud, about 90db and 220CFM total), in comparison with the stock fan at the max speed, you know what the temperature drop was? 10ºc total.

The breakdown is, the correct fans help quite a bit, but if want a real drop in temperature, you have to change the coolers entirely, copper and aluminum matters...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

2 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

And did you take in consideration the CFM rating of the new fans? I haven't looked at the specs, but its possible that your older fans had a higher CFM rate.

I conducted a fun test the other day, just for the sake of it, i have a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme on my pfSense machine, i decided to swap the fan on it for a 3.3a Nidec Beta V VA450DC, at max speed (jet engine loud, about 90db and 220CFM total), in comparison with the stock at the max speed, you know what the temperature drop was? 10ºc total.

The breakdown is, the correct fans help quite a bit, but if want a real drop in temperature, you have to change the coolers entirely, copper and aluminum matters...

Thanks for the reply guys, 

And I did think of that after the fact actually. I had a hard time finding the stats of the stock fans though. The noctua ones I got seemed to have a good cfm though, I believe it was around 93.

And they are optimised for static pressure as well. I didn't want to go too crazy with cpu cooling. I do like my aio.

I'm just a bit confused still on why my temps seem higher. Would it be due to lower rpms do you guys think? These are supposed to go up to 1500. Though for some reason only max around 1350-1400.

Does rpm make that big of a difference? I'd be surprised if the noctua fans were worse than the stock I had.

And again, thanks for the replies so far guys. I truly appreciate it.

1 minute ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

I'm just a bit confused still on why my temps seem higher. Would it be due to lower rpms do you guys think?

Room temperature could be a factor, did you test both configurations on the same day?

You can only go so low with only air cooling. Seeing temps you have, you aren't going to see any lower without going for full custom loop or some more exotic system.

Like said, main purpose on getting higher quality fans are noise and maybe color scheme. High CFM comes into play as fan can move same amount of air while spinning slower --> less noise.

Are you controlling fans correctly, what are you using for control? Seems like you have some pre-defined profile which tops at maybe 80-90% of full speed, or that has thermal level which you aren't exceeding (possibly 70C).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Room temperature could be a factor, did you test both configurations on the same day?

Yes, both were on the same day.

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You can only go so low with only air cooling. Seeing temps you have, you aren't going to see any lower without going for full custom loop or some more exotic system.

Like said, main purpose on getting higher quality fans are noise and maybe color scheme. High CFM comes into play as fan can move same amount of air while spinning slower --> less noise.

Are you controlling fans correctly, what are you using for control? Seems like you have some pre-defined profile which tops at maybe 80-90% of full speed, or that has thermal level which you aren't exceeding (possibly 70C).

Yes, I'm controlling the fans directly. I'm controlling the gpu fans via the motherboard and using CAM software to control the cpu ones. Not sure why they won't max out, I mean it's close to its maximum, but still curious about it. 

Do you think my temps are okay though? 

The only think I could think of that might improve anything...

Option A:

Turn my Hybrid that's currently a back exhaust into an intake.

Option B:

Turn my Second Hybrid from bottom intake to exhaust. 

Option C: Go with either Option A or B, but also replace the 200mm intake with 2x140mm in the front.

Also, if I got the industrial noctua (2000 or 3000rpm) let's pretend...do you think the higher rpms would give any better temperatures?

9 hours ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Yes, both were on the same day.

Yes, I'm controlling the fans directly. I'm controlling the gpu fans via the motherboard and using CAM software to control the cpu ones. Not sure why they won't max out, I mean it's close to its maximum, but still curious about it. 

Do you think my temps are okay though? 

Your temps are excellent. Can you post pics of both mobo fan control and CAM? I still think there's some set temp limit which isn't crossed as you already are at low 60s. If you think, it makes sense. Hot temps are over 80C and danger at 90C.

Option C: Go with either Option A or B, but also replace the 200mm intake with 2x140mm in the front.

From all this would make most sense. 200mm isn't at powerful as 2x140mm.

Also, if I got the industrial noctua (2000 or 3000rpm) let's pretend...do you think the higher rpms would give any better temperatures?

No. You can't really improve temps by increasing fan speeds. It goes more the other way. You can make fan less noisy and keep getting same temps. Of my own testing fans stop making difference at about 70-85% rpm. The main thing changing would be noise. People refuse to believe that industrial grade fans are noisier at lower speeds than normal fans running higher speeds. Linus even did video about it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Your temps are excellent. Can you post pics of both mobo fan control and CAM? I still think there's some set temp limit which isn't crossed as you already are at low 60s. If you think, it makes sense. Hot temps are over 80C and danger at 90C.

-------------

From all this would make most sense. 200mm isn't at powerful as 2x140mm.

------------

No. You can't really improve temps by increasing fan speeds. It goes more the other way. You can make fan less noisy and keep getting same temps. Of my own testing fans stop making difference at about 70-85% rpm. The main thing changing would be noise. People refuse to believe that industrial grade fans are noisier at lower speeds than normal fans running higher speeds. Linus even did video about it.

Good to know temps are good then! Now i just need to hope my Overclock is okay hah.

-------------

And okay, that's what I would have thought. I might just try to exchange the 200mm for 2 140s then.

As far as your recommendation goes, would you change anything else on my fan setup as far as the intake/exhausts or just leave it as is?

-----------

Also good to know! I truly appreciate your help on this. Lots of informative info and you've helped a bunch.

Thank you

---------

Here are the pics of my fan controllers by the way.

Hopefully the screenshots I took are informative enough.

ChassisFan.png

Cam.png

42 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

As far as your recommendation goes, would you change anything else on my fan setup as far as the intake/exhausts or just leave it as is?

Current orientation is good imo.

42 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Here are the pics of my fan controllers by the way.

Hopefully the screenshots I took are informative enough.

They seems to be just right. Fan speeds are also correct, or rather within Noctua's set range of +-10% of 1500rpm (which is 1350rpm if you are unlucky). You can also see from top pic that mobo has set max speed limit at 75C. Which according to you, you aren't even getting at.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

45 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Current orientation is good imo.

They seems to be just right. Fan speeds are also correct, or rather within Noctua's set range of +-10% of 1500rpm (which is 1350rpm if you are unlucky). You can also see from top pic that mobo has set max speed limit at 75C. Which according to you, you aren't even getting at.

Thanks again, appreciate it a bunch!