Solid Copper Wires for 24-pin Connector and Others

Hi all,

A few years back I saw a mod for car audio where they used solid copper or copper pipes to connect the amp to the subwoofer.

For some reason this idea just came back to me now, and I think it would look sick as a mod for a modular power supply.

My idea is to use 18/16 AWG solid copper wire instead of the stock 24-pin connector from power supply to motherboard since it will hold its shape and do 90 degree bends in it where appropriate.

In order to keep the wires separated as there would not be insulation on them (maybe do a rubber paint on them to insulate them) I will be using a typical cable comb that is used to keep the usual wires neat.

I can't for the life of me find any mod like this on Google, and was wondering if any of you guys have.  If not, any advice or tips on how I could accomplish this would be awesome!

Thanks!!

3 minutes ago, Terukio said:

Hi all,

A few years back I saw a mod for car audio where they used solid copper or copper pipes to connect the amp to the subwoofer.

For some reason this idea just came back to me now, and I think it would look sick as a mod for a modular power supply.

My idea is to use 18/16 AWG solid copper wire instead of the stock 24-pin connector from power supply to motherboard since it will hold its shape and do 90 degree bends in it where appropriate.

In order to keep the wires separated as there would not be insulation on them (maybe do a rubber paint on them to insulate them) I will be using a typical cable comb that is used to keep the usual wires neat.

I can't for the life of me find any mod like this on Google, and was wondering if any of you guys have.  If not, any advice or tips on how I could accomplish this would be awesome!

Thanks!!

I don’t have the link handy but there was a build I remember seeing where they used solid brass wire that was enamel coated and soldered to regular terminals. It can be done but very time consuming. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

I don’t have the link handy but there was a build I remember seeing where they used solid brass wire that was enamel coated and soldered to regular terminals. It can be done but very time consuming. 

Thanks,

I'll try a search for that and see how I make out.

Glad to hear someone has had success with this in the past, this mod will make my plan for a wall mounted PC look amazing.

1 minute ago, unkn0wn1 said:

AC MAINS wires are solid and should work just fine.

Are you referring to the wire that houses are wired with?

I don't have any in front of me at the moment but I can check the size when I get home.

If memory serves me right, I believe that would be too think, no?

11 minutes ago, intender said:

I think thhn solid wire would serve you better for what you are wanting. 

Reading up on it, this could be very useful.

I'll stop by home depot or lowes and see if it is indeed stiff enough for my application.

thhn comes in stranded and solid wire.  make sure what you get is solid, i dont think the stranded stuff will work well for the connections.  you can either buy it by the foot or in small spools of anywhere from 50ft up to 500ft.  i used to do electrical work and we bought it from our suppliers so it was probably cheaper than from home depot, but I think it was around .15 or .20/ft for 18 awg if you bought it on a spool. 

2 minutes ago, intender said:

thhn comes in stranded and solid wire.  make sure what you get is solid, i dont think the stranded stuff will work well for the connections.  you can either buy it by the foot or in small spools of anywhere from 50ft up to 500ft.  i used to do electrical work and we bought it from our suppliers so it was probably cheaper than from home depot, but I think it was around .15 or .20/ft for 18 awg if you bought it on a spool. 

Thanks for you help!

Don't know if I will go this route just yet, as I kind of like the idea of having bare copper wire exposed.

I may change my mind though due to safety concerns :P

you could find a way to coat it in enamel like they do with headphone wires

or find pre enameled wire

Buy enameled wire. It's designed to touch without conducting, so if it does touch accidentaly it won't matter. It's why transformers and electric motors work even though they are packed with wires.

6 hours ago, Terukio said:

Thanks,

I'll try a search for that and see how I make out.

Glad to hear someone has had success with this in the past, this mod will make my plan for a wall mounted PC look amazing.

Here we go finally dug it up again but what they did did, a solid core pass through portion into a connector for regular flex cable behind. 

https://www.cowcotland.com/articles/1700/k-limes-modding-le-cable-rigide.html

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/43274/more-minimalist-pc-design-limes-cm690iii/index.html

Image result for K-Limes pc

tuto_022.jpg