[Build Log] Project Orzhov

samysnes

WELCOME TO PROJECT ORZHOV

This is my first serious build. First of all, I want to apologize for picture quality. I'm not a photograph and I take the pictures with my phone... so yeah...

Parts so far

Case: Corsair 750D

Motherboard: MSI Z87 Mpower

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770k (aiming for OC @ 4.5 GHz)

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum with lights bar.

Graphics card: Asus 7970 DirectCU II

Sound card: X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Pro

SSD: Intel 520 Series 128 GB

HDD: A few Western Digital Blacks

Cooling: H100i

Power supply: Corsair AX850

Peripherals

Keyboard: Ducky Shine III Year of the snake edition #142/999 (my most prized possession)

Mouse: Logitech G600

Speakers: Corsair SP2500

Headset: Astro A40

Monitor: Samsung BX2450/Dell Professional P2412H

The idea

Ok, so I currently have a White and black themed 600T build. At first I was very into the whole white and black theme but I quickly realized I would prefer a black and white theme (mainly black with white accents). I searched for a case for months without ever finding THE perfect case. My criteria were a mid-tower, big window, water cooler compatibility, classy black brushed aluminum, black painted interior. I really liked the look of the Silverstone FT01, Fractal Design Arc Midi R4 and Lian-Li PC-7H but all of them had flaws that I couldn't bear with.

Then came the 750D. Had all the stuff I wanted except it's a full tower. I figured I could deal with a small full tower :-)

For the motherboard, I couldn't find a nice black and white themed motherboard for my price point. I really liked the MSI Mpower products but I could not bring myself to have yellow in my case so I decided to still get it and hopefully be able to mod it to change it to a white themed board. The rest just went on from this base idea. Why Orzhov you might ask? Because I am a long time hardcore MTG player and it's a big part of my life.

The mod

Here I will list all the mods I will make to any parts.

First is the motherboard. The big concern was keeping my warranty so at first I thought I would just cover yellow parts with white vinyl but I quickly realized how modding friendly this board is. Everything is screwed in place so it's very easy to disassemble.

Here I wasn't too sure how to get to that yellow layer in the middle of the main heatsink.

med_gallery_49142_744_137026.jpg

Turns out the top layer is glued with non drying glue and the yellow part is screwed and glued to the bottom.

Everything is easy to put back together so far so my warranty is fine.

med_gallery_49142_744_323572.jpg

Then I searched for paint options and I discovered Plasti Dip. This amazing paint is in fact rubber coating

that is easily peelable if you ever want to revert back to the original part. It's a cool warranty friendly paint.

med_gallery_49142_744_191422.jpg

Little setup for painting.

med_gallery_49142_744_845137.jpg

After the first few coatings.

med_gallery_49142_744_418222.jpg

For the MSI yellow illuminated logo I discovered it's in fact just a white LED with yellow plastic over it.

med_gallery_49142_744_702024.jpg

I decided to just cover this one with a white sticker and just block the light.

med_gallery_49142_744_1309405.jpg

My next concern was the Audio Boost illuminated logo on the board (exactly like the MSI logo).

For this one I had the idea of replacing the plastic part with a custom acrylic part to just have a big white

light in this corner.

med_gallery_49142_744_1910224.jpg

After sanding (I want the light to be diffused).

med_gallery_49142_744_293974.jpg

Final touch is a layer of white frosted sticker just to make sure I don't get just a very bright single white spot.

med_gallery_49142_744_1208723.jpg

The results.

med_gallery_49142_744_14396.jpgmed_gallery_49142_744_158183.jpg

med_gallery_49142_744_634458.jpgmed_gallery_49142_744_1280831.jpg

med_gallery_49142_744_155080.jpg

A stock picture for comparison.

MSI%20Z87%20MPower%20Max%20Oblique.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed this first part of what I hope is gonna be a cool build! Stay tuned and follow this topic for news and updates!

Looking good! Subbed :D

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Excellent work on the motherboard. B)

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Nice Job, Keep up the work and I really want to see this finished.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

That board looks sweet! The white is so much nicer than that yellow.

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

Thank you for the kind words everyone! I will start building this weekend since I just got my H100i today.

Nice mod looks awesome good job :)

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Dude so far just amazing, definitely earned a follow and great job with the mods i love them so far

CPU:i5-3570k OC'd to 4.0 MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41 GPU: Asus 660Ti 2Gb OC Case: NZXT Source 210 Black and Windowed RAM: Kingston HyperX Black Series 8GB Storage: WD 1TB Caviar Black, 3TB WD Green, 120GB Kingston HyperX CPU Cooler: CM TX3 PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W OS: Win 7 Perf: Corsair M65, Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Main with 17" Secondary, a Corsair K70, and ATH-M50's.

m-power boards are up there with sabertooths when it comes to modded awesomness.

I sometimes use the pen from my wacom tablet to type cuz i'm too lazy to set it down :P

Orzhov? Like Magic the Gathering? Black and White? You are living up to the name well. Now form a church around your computer and charge for people to be in it through "communion". (Source, I read the flavor text).

UPDATE #1

Thank you for all the encouragement guys!

So last night I fired up the board to see what the LEDs would look like.

The audio boost replacement came out looking very good. I'm very satisfied with it.

med_gallery_49142_744_148360.jpg

But the MSI logo came out as orange since my sticker was not opaque enough.

med_gallery_49142_744_295539.jpg

I'm just going to remove the yellow plastic completly. Unfortunately, a screw is stuck in one of the heatsink so I'm gonna have to do some grinding and working tonight if I wanna build this weekend. Let's hope the board is ok :S

Next up, getting rid of the awfully bright blue LEDs...

Orzhov? Like Magic the Gathering? Black and White? You are living up to the name well. Now form a church around your computer and charge for people to be in it through "communion". (Source, I read the flavor text).

Yep, you got it! ;)

samysnes, on 14 Dec 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

-snip-

If I may, that cover piece for the audio boost doesn't look quite rectangular to me (OCD kicking in).What do you think?

Dat white bumblebee, mmmmmmmmmm

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

If I may, that cover piece for the audio boost doesn't look quite rectangular to me (OCD kicking in).What do you think?

Yeah I know it's bugging me too lol! The acrylic snapped a little bit diagonally inside the part. I did my best with a file but it was the third part I did since the other 2 cracked while drilling the 2 holes (very close to the edges) so I got pissed and kept this one :P

There you go! Much better!

med_gallery_49142_744_445376.jpg

By the way, I'm posting this on the actual system on a ghetto test bench. Everything seems to be working just fine :)

UPDATE #2

Today's mod is presented to you by generic black nail polish!

med_gallery_49142_744_198390.jpg

I wanted to get rid of the annoying OC buttons and bright blue LEDs on the motherboard. Black nail polish works perfectly!

med_gallery_49142_744_497486.jpg

Finished.

med_gallery_49142_744_340643.jpg

Starting to build. This case is ready for love.

med_gallery_49142_744_202016.jpg

Motherboard in. I know it's boring...

med_gallery_49142_744_1269971.jpg

H100i installed in pull. Waiting for my other set of SP120 to show up for push/pull. Also waiting for my

AF140 for the rear fan.

med_gallery_49142_744_698322.jpg

Loose cables for testing featuring my fridge.

med_gallery_49142_744_1710914.jpg

Ok so I found a weird/neat spot to fit my SSD in this case. This is the beginning of my next mod (see last pic for a teaser).

med_gallery_49142_744_1576173.jpg

Dat cable management. Quite proud of it :)

med_gallery_49142_744_1450815.jpg

Current state of the build (don't mind the temporary sata cable hanging there).

med_gallery_49142_744_328053.jpg

So what's left?

-Rear modded AF140 fan.

-2 more SP120 on the cooler.

-A few hard drives.

-Illuminated Dominator Platinum.

-DVD drive mod (black painted and case mod).

-SSD mod.

-Pictures of my setup.

Here is a little teaser picture of my next mod ;) (that's the Orzhov logo for those who don't know).

gallery_49142_744_12469.jpg

STAY TUNED!

looks awesome :D

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

That is soo sweeeeet. love the white and black heatsinks it would be boss if u got a twinfrozr and did the same.

looks awesome :D

Thank you very much :D

That is soo sweeeeet. love the white and black heatsinks it would be boss if u got a twinfrozr and did the same.

Thank you! Yeah I know, but there's no way I'm leaving my ginormous 7970 ^^

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome dude. Looking forward to see some more updates soon!

PC: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.3GHZ | Corsair H100i | ASUS ROG Maximus IV Hero | ASUS R9 280X DCII TOP 3GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHZ | Samsung Evo 250GB | 2TB Seagate Baracudda | Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed