8700K Overclocking Results, Delid???

Should I delid my 8700K or not?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should I delid my 8700K or not?

• Delid it!
    • Don't delid it

So now that I've had my 8700K for about 10 hours I have to say it's a very nice upgrade from my dead 6700K. I'm getting 4.5GHz stable on all cores at only 1.168V, and 4.6GHz on all cores is stable at 1.200V. After stress testing using a few different programs for the past 6 hours I have some temps readings that honestly aren't that bad, but now I'm tempted, should I delid my new 8700K and push it further, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal seems to get great reviews and is easy to get a hold of, but finding a quality delidding tool that is available for purchase in the US might be a problem (can't find a der8auer in stock anywhere), any suggestions on a quality tool with reasonable pricing?

Anyway here are my highest recorded core temps at 4.6GHz all cores at 1.200V (Temps are from Core Temp 1.11 and AIDA64, both gave me the same readings)

Prime95 v26.6 80C

AIDA64 (CPU, FPU, Cache) 82C

AIDA64 (FPU Heavy AVX Intructions) 85C

Cinebench R15.0

CPU Score 1546

Single Core 204

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

Delid if you're ok with that, but don't push the overclock further, unless it's for fun.  Leave a 24/7 overclock much lower than the chip's capabilities, because otherwise the chip will quickly degrade.  What's your cooler btw?

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

12 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

So now that I've had my 8700K for about 10 hours I have to say it's a very nice upgrade from my dead 6700K. I'm getting 4.5GHz stable on all cores at only 1.168V, and 4.6GHz on all cores is stable at 1.200V. After stress testing using a few different programs for the past 6 hours I have some temps readings that honestly aren't that bad, but now I'm tempted, should I delid my new 8700K and push it further, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal seems to get great reviews and is easy to get a hold of, but finding a quality delidding tool that is available for purchase in the US might be a problem (can't find a der8auer in stock anywhere), any suggestions on a quality tool with reasonable pricing?

Anyway here are my highest recorded core temps at 4.6GHz all cores at 1.200V (Temps are from Core Temp 1.11 and AIDA64, both gave me the same readings)

Prime95 v26.6 80C

Cinebench R15.0

CPU Score 1546

Single Core 204

What cooler do you have?

1 minute ago, hconverse02 said:

Delid if you're ok with that, but don't push the overclock further, unless it's for fun.  Leave a 24/7 overclock much lower than the chip's capabilities, because otherwise the chip will quickly degrade.  What's your cooler btw?

I've never delided before, so I'm undecided. I completely agree with you on not leaving the max stable overclock in place for long term use, I tend to be fairly conservative in what I chose to run for 24/7 use.

My cooler is a Hyper 212x, and I know I'm gonna get crap about that from some people lol, but it performs within 3*C of a Noctua NH-U12S, it's really not a bad cooler, but no it's not top tier. I just don't want to go with water cooling or a massive cooler with excessive hold-down pressure.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Just now, SALEEN961 said:

I've never delided before, so I'm undecided. I completely agree with you on not leaving the max stable overclock in place for long term use, I tend to be fairly conservative in what I chose to run for 24/7 use.

My cooler is a Hyper 212x, and I know I'm gonna get crap about that from some people lol, but it performs within 3*C of a Noctua NH-U12S, it's really not a bad cooler, but no it's not top tier. I just don't want to go with water cooling or a massive cooler with excessive hold-down pressure.

Hold-down pressure isn't bad, honestly not much different than from a typical air cooler. I think you COULD de-lid but you may encounter discoloration and chemical reaction between the nickel plated IHS and the liquid metal (which contains gallium). Nothing that should damage anything, but it'll happen (just a heads up). 

Personally I delidded by i7 8700k. I used the rockit88 delidding tool to get the job done. Also instead of using Liquid metal, I used a non-conductive thermal paste. I knew that my thermals wouldn't be quite as good as compared to liquid metal, however, I did not want to worry about shorting something out on the substrate 

7 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Hold-down pressure isn't bad, honestly not much different than from a typical air cooler. I think you COULD de-lid but you may encounter discoloration and chemical reaction between the nickel plated IHS and the liquid metal (which contains gallium). Nothing that should damage anything, but it'll happen (just a heads up). 

Hmm, I thought it was non-reactive on nickel and that is was copper and aluminum that were problematic, that's definitely something to consider as it could mean degrading thermals over time and needing to clean the IHS and reapply the liquid metal.

5 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

Personally I delidded by i7 8700k. I used the rockit88 delidding tool to get the job done. Also instead of using Liquid metal, I used a non-conductive thermal paste. I knew that my thermals wouldn't be quite as good as compared to liquid metal, however, I did not want to worry about shorting something out on the substrate 

What thermal paste did you use and how much of a temp drop did you get afterwards?

2 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

-snip- 

Arctic MX-4. And yes, be just to scrap all of the black adhesive off of both the IHS and the substrate. 

1 minute ago, SALEEN961 said:

Hmm, I thought it was non-reactive on nickel and that is was copper and aluminum that were problematic, that's definitely something to consider as it could mean degrading thermals over time and needing to clean the IHS and reapply the liquid metal.

What thermal paste did you use and how much of a temp drop did you get afterwards?

Theoretically, yes. There was a HUGE post about it a while back. I'll see if I can link you in it and you can read ALL about the topic from reputable people. If you're delidding, make SURE you use liquid metal as traditional thermal paste WILL solidify and lose its conductivity over 4-5 years. Ever taken apart an old PC and the thermal paste has virtually turned to concrete, making the cooler removal process near impossible? NOT FUN. xD

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Theoretically, yes. There was a HUGE post about it a while back. I'll see if I can link you in it and you can read ALL about the topic from reputable people. If you're delidding, make SURE you use liquid metal as traditional thermal paste WILL solidify and lose its conductivity over 4-5 years. Ever taken apart an old PC and the thermal paste has virtually turned to concrete, making the cooler removal process near impossible? NOT FUN. xD

use galium

34 minutes ago, SALEEN961 said:

Prime95 v26.6 80C

Cinebench R15.0

CPU Score 1546

Single Core 204

Hello friend. I just commented your name on the thread in which a HUGE number of the delidding community came together to discuss the long-term effects of delidding. I strongly advise reading what went down in that section before delidding! If you have any further questions, let me or any of them know!

On 12/20/2017 at 11:56 AM, CrippledROBOT said:

Hello friend. I just commented your name on the thread in which a HUGE number of the delidding community came together to discuss the long-term effects of delidding. I strongly advise reading what went down in that section before delidding! If you have any further questions, let me or any of them know!

Thank you for the info, I read through the thread and watched a couple videos on the subject and in the one video you could see "staining" on not only the IHS but also the CPU die, and without knowing the nature of the "staining" that is a little concerning.

I'm not a chemist so I really don't know what kind of reaction is taking place or if this is just the liquid metal soaking into the pores of the nickle plating, but the discoloration being much darker than either base material would lead me to believe it's not just the liquid metal soaking into the pores. If it's just something simple like an oxide layer forming that's not much of an issue assuming it doesn't effect the thermal performance and doesn't continue to oxidize to the point of damaging anything, but without knowing that is a bit concerning as I try to keep my PCs for a very long time. I only upgraded from a socket 775 Core 2 Quad at the end of 2016 when that system died, had it not died I would have run it even longer.

On 12/21/2017 at 12:36 PM, SALEEN961 said:

Thank you for the info, I read through the thread and watched a couple videos on the subject and in the one video you could see "staining" on not only the IHS but also the CPU die, and without knowing the nature of the "staining" that is a little concerning.

I'm not a chemist so I really don't know what kind of reaction is taking place or if this is just the liquid metal soaking into the pores of the nickle plating, but the discoloration being much darker than either base material would lead me to believe it's not just the liquid metal soaking into the pores. If it's just something simple like an oxide layer forming that's not much of an issue assuming it doesn't effect the thermal performance and doesn't continue to oxidize to the point of damaging anything, but without knowing that is a bit concerning as I try to keep my PCs for a very long time. I only upgraded from a socket 775 Core 2 Quad at the end of 2016 when that system died, had it not died I would have run it even longer.

Sorry to get back to you so late! As many people had said in the thread (including either a rep or the owner of a popular delidding company), they haven't experienced any issues since starting a few years back. Chemically speaking, something IS happening, its just to what EXTENT and how aggressive the reaction may be. You SHOULD be fine, but I decided against it myself for these reasons. You also save yourself the Intel 3 year warranty!

You should delid. There are some risks obviously, but it’s worth it if you’re aiming for decent temps on an Intel CPU overclock. 

On 12/20/2017 at 11:21 AM, SALEEN961 said:

Prime95 v26.6 80C

Cinebench R15.0

CPU Score 1546

Single Core 204

I just delidded my 8700k with thermal grizzley and a rockitcool 88, it’s in stock for about $40 but I can sell you the tool and paste and the silicone glue if you want that for a good price.