First build

Galactic Nebula

Hey everyone, I'm planning on making my first gaming pc in a few weeks and I've done some research but I'm still not confident in my judgment on whether or not I should buy the parts. I'm from the UK so I'm using £s and my budget is around £500 or less, I'd rather not go over. The computer will be mainly used for gaming but will also be used for light amounts of editing or creative work. At the moment I haven't got enough for a GPU but I'll be getting a 1060 3gb next mount or so. The image below is something that I've thought of getting but I'm not sure.

Screenshot_20171219-210443.jpg

7 minutes ago, Galactic Nebula said:

Kaby is dead and no one should buy it

should get a case with airflow

What games are you playing and at what resolution/refresh rate?

Probably want an R5 1600 + GPU, i5 8400 if you really need something now as it comes with an iGPU at least

Or wait for Raven Ridge APUs coming Q1 next year, no real news on that.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Well I'd like to play games at 1080p and I don't really have a set genre of games I'd like to play, probably free roaming or shooters, maybe a game like destiny 2 or something like that. Also I would like to play 60 FPS or above as much as possible.

The case was something that I just decided the pick cause I wanted to see the full ish price of the build (excluding the GPU)

2 minutes ago, Galactic Nebula said:

Well I'd like to play games at 1080p and I don't really have a set genre of games I'd like to play, probably free roaming or shooters, maybe a game like destiny 2 or something like that. Also I would like to play 60 FPS or above as much as possible.

The case was something that I just decided the pick cause I wanted to see the full ish price of the build (excluding the GPU)

What country are you in so I can put together a build?

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

I'm from the United kingdom and if you are going to build one, please keep it under £500 don't bother about a GPU I'll get one in a mouths time.

Edited by Galactic Nebula
Adding more information

23 minutes ago, Galactic Nebula said:

I'm from the United kingdom and if you are going to build one, please keep it under £500 don't bother about a GPU I'll get one in a mouths time.

You basically picked the worst possible time to build a PC, as the i5 8400 is out of stock everywhere it looks like and Ryzen has no iGPU and DDR4 pricing sucks

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/LHYWGX/intel-core-i5-8400-28ghz-6-core-processor-bx80684i58400

But at least your RX 570 pricing looks normal

So ya just save up a bit of cash and go R3 1200 + RX 570 most likely, or find a cheap used case/PSU/Hard drive maybe

The R3 1200 will be alright for 60hz gaming and the 570 alright for 1080p and AM4 lets you go up to 8 cores though you want a fan over your VRM at that point on that motherboard anyways

Ryzen+ is coming Q1 next year as well, likely a minor improvement over this gen

I'm also pretty sure the R3 1200 is reasonably close to the i5 7400 you had originally anyways, bottom video is Ryzen CPU performance scaling in games

And look for the reviews on the PSU, not sure if Jonnyguru has done one yet

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngvc3F
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngvc3F/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£88.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£73.33 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  (£73.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£37.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4GB Gaming 4G  Video Card  (£204.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  (£24.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£54.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £558.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-19 21:55 GMT+0000

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Thank you very much for that, I'll take that into consideration and I'll probably save up.

Just gonna wait for "Thinkfreely" to reply so I can get two different points of view.

Thank you again

6 minutes ago, Galactic Nebula said:

If you want a better CPU/Motherboard which is possibly a better choice for the long haul, then you can drop the GPU to the GT1030 which isn't too bad at 60GBP...it just won't run AAA games at higher settings, the 1050/RX 560(1024) are like twice as fast

Only issue is not knowing how Ryzen + is going to be....I'd maybe just wait entirely until Ryzen + is out and you have a higher budget for both the CPU and GPU...800 GBP ish?

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/z4xjPs
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/z4xjPs/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£169.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£127.79 @ Aria PC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  (£73.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£37.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Phoenix Fan OC Video Card  (£59.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  (£24.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - MasterWatt 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£54.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £548.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-19 22:05 GMT+0000

Spoiler

If I was going to be getting a GPU then I'd either go for a 1050 ti or maybe a 1060 3gb, 1050 cause it's good for 1080p and 1060 because I might want to up the quality of my games just a bit while also future proofing.

3 minutes ago, Galactic Nebula said:

future proofing.

3 minutes ago, Galactic Nebula said:

3gb

I see an issue there

also an RX 5xx card will save you cash on Free-sync whenever you upgrade your display.

Really possibly just save your money until Ryzen + comes out get a larger budget and get a better CPU and GPU for your money

Or maybe the i5 8400 will be in stock before Ryzen +

You need a time machine.

Spoiler