Notebook for editing videos

Hello! 

i want to know about the best price/quality notebooks for editing. My budget is $600 (dollars)

i hope you can help me :D

That would be very hard for 600 .. cows?

*My math teacher always told me I should add what currency I'm talking about*

I'll assume you mean dollars, for 600 .. no video editing laptops really.

Second hand you might have some luck, but new the least I can think of is € 750 which is  $ 880 and gives you a previous generation CPU/Graphics card.

Second hand Lenovo's might be a good bet, I'll go on ebay for a bit and give you some links

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

13 minutes ago, holasusana said:

Hello! 

i want to know about the best price/quality notebooks for editing. My budget is 600

You could go with a second hand MacBook Pro. Normally wouldn't recommend a Mac but I have to give it to Apple they edit pretty well for what they are.

2 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

That would be very hard for 600 .. cows?

*My math teacher always told me I should add what currency I'm talking about*

I'll assume you mean dollars, for 600 .. no video editing laptops really.

Second hand you might have some luck, but new the least I can think of is € 750 which is  $ 880 and gives you a previous generation CPU/Graphics card.

Second hand Lenovo's might be a good bet, I'll go on ebay for a bit and give you some links

sorry about the sign, i forgot it

thanks for the answer!

I cannot give you eBay links according to forum rules, but a Lenovo W530 seems like a decent option and is available for $ 370 on multiple auctions.

Personally if you are tech savvy I can also recommend going to a local e-waste center and asking the owner if you can buy some 'junk'.

Did that for the first time a week back and got a Mac Pro 2008 for € 100, 2 Quad Core Xeon's. a Dell PowerEdge T310 for € 45.. if you get lucky and pick up some laptops you can put together a really great system on the cheap. Do keep in mind you'd need to find a third-party battery in 9/10 cases

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

24 minutes ago, holasusana said:

for editing

which software?

which output format e.g. 1080p/2160p etc.?
do you need fast render times or is it okay to render for some time?
do you want to do 3d/cgi effects?

AND which OS do you plan to use?

Main Rig

Spoiler

CPU - i7 6700 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill, 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial OEM | GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming | PSU - Cooler Master G450M | Storage - 1x 256GB Samsung SM951 (NVMe)(System), 2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO (Striped) | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 (with TG side Panel) | OS - Windows 10 Pro

NAS / Docker Host

Spoiler

CPU - Xeon E3-1220v3 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston ECC | PSU - Enermax Revolution SFX 550W | Storage - 3x 4TB WD Red, 1x 2TB WD Red, 4x 3TB Seagate Constellation, 2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO (Cache) | Case - AVID Unity Media Engine (3U Rackmount) | OS - UnRAID OS Pro

VM Host

Spoiler

CPU - Xeon E3-1246v3 | RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) Samsung ECC | PSU - Enermax Revolution SFX 550W | Storage - 2x 512GB Samsung 860 Pro (System / "Fast" VM's), 4x 500GB HGST (RAID 10) | Case - Avid Unity MediArray XT (3U Rackmount) | OS - Windows Server 2019 Datacenter

Notebooks

Spoiler

Fujitsu Lifebook E756CPU - i5 6200U | RAM - 8GB DDR4 OEM | GPU - Intel HD 520  | Storage - 250GB Crucial MX500 | OS - Windows 10 Pro

Apple MacBook Pro Mid 2015 | CPU - i7 4770HQ | RAM - 16GB | GPU - Intel Iris Pro | Storage - 512GB Toshiba XG4 NVMe | OS - macOS 10.15.1

1 hour ago, holasusana said:

Hello! 

i want to know about the best price/quality notebooks for editing. My budget is $600 (dollars)

clevo w650 with a desktop cpu

http://www.eluktronics.com/W650KK1-BYO

http://www.eluktronics.com/w650kk1

clevo n650 with a desktop cpu

http://www.eluktronics.com/N650DU-BYO

http://www.eluktronics.com/N650DU

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, jwworker201 said:

which software?

which output format e.g. 1080p/2160p etc.?
do you need fast render times or is it okay to render for some time?
do you want to do 3d/cgi effects?

AND which OS do you plan to use?

i don´t know the editing software because im not the guy who plain to buy the notebook

i think he is going to use sony vegas or adobe effects

a 1080p panel would be fine, and the os, for me, windows is better in general

22 minutes ago, holasusana said:

sony vegas or adobe effects

Magix Vegas (formerly Sony Vegas) is a piece of shit in my opinion compared to real professional Software like Adobe Premiere.
But if he is using Adobe Premiere, some notebook (Skylake or up) with Intel iGPU would do the job. Even my Notebook (i5-6200U, Intel HD520) can handle Premiere with light 1080p editing or After Effects for some lowerthirds and such things because of the OpenCL acceleration of the newer Intel HD Graphics. 

But something like a used Lenovo ThinkPad W-Series, Dell Precision or Fujitsu Celsius Notebook might be the best Option. 
You can basically edit on everything. The question is how fast you want to get the job done. Even if you don't have the newest or best hardware you still have the Option in some Softwares to work with Proxy files so you use something like 480p downscaled clips instead of the 1080p footage you pull from your camera.
I know for a fact that many companies use systems with some i3 and 8GB of RAM with intel iGPU as Systems for their Trainees and it is enough performance for them to work with it.

22 minutes ago, holasusana said:

a 1080p panel would be fine

With output format I meant the export format of your Clips / the format you render your Videos with or create your timeline. If you expect to do 4k with Vegas or some Software that does not support Proxy Files you are doomed.

I personally would go for a Lenovo ThinkPad W530 too. But you need to look after a few things:

• if the system has a GPU which is supported by your Software (The Quadro K1000M you find in most W530 Notebooks is NOT supported by Adobe CC 2018)
  • If the System has AT LEAST 8GB of RAM (better 12 or 16GB)
  • If the System has a SSD (this is optional but it speeds the workflow up)
  • If you have enough disk space for your Software plus your working projects (Editing from a USB HDD or so is NOT an Option, expect poor performance)

In my old Lenovo X220 I was able to install a mSATA SSD instead of the UMTS modem and therefore was able to install a SSD and a HDD in my System. Should be doable on the W530 too. This would be an option to have enough space for Projects and other data.

Main Rig

Spoiler

CPU - i7 6700 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill, 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial OEM | GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming | PSU - Cooler Master G450M | Storage - 1x 256GB Samsung SM951 (NVMe)(System), 2x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO (Striped) | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 (with TG side Panel) | OS - Windows 10 Pro

NAS / Docker Host

Spoiler

CPU - Xeon E3-1220v3 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston ECC | PSU - Enermax Revolution SFX 550W | Storage - 3x 4TB WD Red, 1x 2TB WD Red, 4x 3TB Seagate Constellation, 2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO (Cache) | Case - AVID Unity Media Engine (3U Rackmount) | OS - UnRAID OS Pro

VM Host

Spoiler

CPU - Xeon E3-1246v3 | RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) Samsung ECC | PSU - Enermax Revolution SFX 550W | Storage - 2x 512GB Samsung 860 Pro (System / "Fast" VM's), 4x 500GB HGST (RAID 10) | Case - Avid Unity MediArray XT (3U Rackmount) | OS - Windows Server 2019 Datacenter

Notebooks

Spoiler

Fujitsu Lifebook E756CPU - i5 6200U | RAM - 8GB DDR4 OEM | GPU - Intel HD 520  | Storage - 250GB Crucial MX500 | OS - Windows 10 Pro

Apple MacBook Pro Mid 2015 | CPU - i7 4770HQ | RAM - 16GB | GPU - Intel Iris Pro | Storage - 512GB Toshiba XG4 NVMe | OS - macOS 10.15.1

5 hours ago, holasusana said:

Hello! 

Used business laptops like Thinkpads with QM CPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 hours ago, jwworker201 said:

Magix Vegas (formerly Sony Vegas) is a piece of shit in my opinion compared to real professional Software like Adobe Premiere.
But if he is using Adobe Premiere, some notebook (Skylake or up) with Intel iGPU would do the job. Even my Notebook (i5-6200U, Intel HD520) can handle Premiere with light 1080p editing or After Effects for some lowerthirds and such things because of the OpenCL acceleration of the newer Intel HD Graphics. 

But something like a used Lenovo ThinkPad W-Series, Dell Precision or Fujitsu Celsius Notebook might be the best Option. 
You can basically edit on everything. The question is how fast you want to get the job done. Even if you don't have the newest or best hardware you still have the Option in some Softwares to work with Proxy files so you use something like 480p downscaled clips instead of the 1080p footage you pull from your camera.
I know for a fact that many companies use systems with some i3 and 8GB of RAM with intel iGPU as Systems for their Trainees and it is enough performance for them to work with it.

With output format I meant the export format of your Clips / the format you render your Videos with or create your timeline. If you expect to do 4k with Vegas or some Software that does not support Proxy Files you are doomed.

I personally would go for a Lenovo ThinkPad W530 too. But you need to look after a few things:

• if the system has a GPU which is supported by your Software (The Quadro K1000M you find in most W530 Notebooks is NOT supported by Adobe CC 2018)
  • If the System has AT LEAST 8GB of RAM (better 12 or 16GB)
  • If the System has a SSD (this is optional but it speeds the workflow up)
  • If you have enough disk space for your Software plus your working projects (Editing from a USB HDD or so is NOT an Option, expect poor performance)

In my old Lenovo X220 I was able to install a mSATA SSD instead of the UMTS modem and therefore was able to install a SSD and a HDD in my System. Should be doable on the W530 too. This would be an option to have enough space for Projects and other data.

thanks for all the data :D

On 17/12/2017 at 3:38 PM, holasusana said:

Hello! 

Hi!

I´m looking a laptop for the same purpose.

So far, from what i´ve seen my top choice is the Acer Swift 3 14" with i5-8250U and Nvidia MX150

It has 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and with the 8th Generation i5 it´s going to be much better than the current MacBook Pro that runs last gen i5 and costs twice the price.

Doesn´t have a premium build or the best screen, but it´s quite nice and enough to run most of the video editing software.

It also depends on what are you going to edit, how much effects you use, and how long most your videos are. I´ve been using Premiere Pro on an Acer S3 with 2nd Gen i3, 4GB RAM and SSD, and yes it´s not fast, but it´s kind of usable. By this experience, with 8GB RAM, and 8th Gen Core chips it´s going to be more than enough for most users.

About the Swift 3 14" the only thing is that it´s a little bit more expensive than your budget, right now it´s selling at 700USD on Amazon.

However the other cheaper option is the Acer Aspire 5, that got the same i5 8250U, but has DVD Drive, 8GB expandible RAM (that´s a good one as many ultrabooks have their´s soldered) and also got the same Nvidia MX150 (fairly good for video editing, much better than Intel UHD 620 as it has it´s own 2GB RAM), with a cheaper build, heavier weight, and worse screen but a much easier price, 560USD on Amazon too.

For me those are quite good because althought don´t have the best screens or build, have the components to run what you need, and both have discreet graphics that help to run the thing better. 

7 hours ago, warrior01 said:

Nvidia MX150

BUT this card maybe won't be supported by Adobe so you won't be able to use CUDA acceleration. 

Yes, this Notebooks looks like a solid choice Price/Peformance wise but you have NOT an Quadcore which may would let you down. Also I don't know if you are having better performance on this system without CUDA in comparision to your old system.

But If you want order the Notebook and amazon and if it doesn't support CUDA in Premiere you can send it back ;)
I would also be interested how this Notebook performs. I could give you a test sequence for Premiere if you want.

Main Rig

Spoiler

NAS / Docker Host

Spoiler

VM Host

Spoiler

Notebooks

Spoiler