EKWB's former CEO and CTO join Corsair

"Today we can let everyone know what happened to those who left the company, and this news has deeper potential implications to the PC DIY market. Both Mark Tanko, ex-CEO, and Niko Tivadar, ex-CTO, confirmed to us that they have officially joined CORSAIR. Mark is now "Vice President & BU General Manager at CORSAIR", whereas Niko is "Director Of Engineering at CORSAIR". We contacted them for a statement, and it can be seen following the break."

Sources:
https://www.techpowerup.com/239706/corsair-opens-port-to-ex-ekwb-top-management
https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/corsair_opens_its_doors_to_ekwb_s_former_ceo_and_cto/1

LANinfo.at - Austrias LAN-Party Portal

so i guess from now on there will be 0 inovation from Corsair for the next 5 years or so? :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

so i guess from now on there will be 0 inovation from Corsair for the next 5 years or so? :P 

Why do you say that? EK was good with innovation, 5 years ago custom loops were rare, they made it available for wider audiences.

41 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Why do you say that? EK was good with innovation, 5 years ago custom loops were rare, they made it available for wider audiences.

the CPU blocks almost entirely the same since 2012(didnt check before then), the GPU blocks are copy pasta with diffrent milled base plates to mount to the cards, i dont see much inovation here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I wonder if this means Corsair plans on getting into custom loops

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the CPU blocks almost entirely the same since 2012(didnt check before then), the GPU blocks are copy pasta with diffrent milled base plates to mount to the cards, i dont see much inovation here

If it works they why change it? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

If it works they why change it? 

becasue it dosent work as good as their competators? Watercool and Alphacool has them beat, because they have inovated instead of copy pastad

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Watercool and Alphacool has them beat,

And can you prove that? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

There's only so many ways a block of copper can be molded. Aesthetics and ease of use have been much more important than pure perf.

Just now, Matu20 said:

There's only so many ways a block of copper can be molded

yah. but there are a hell of a lot of ways to make water flow throgh the milled chanels, you could also up fin densety, or lower it it add jet plates and so on. a waterblock isnt just a pice of copper. you can also make the baseplate thicker, thinner, experiment with alloys and so on... there is a lot to a waterblock and while performance improvements arent super easy to make someone has to do the RnD

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

Aesthetics and ease of use have been much more important than pure perf.

ease of use is really something they havent got nailed down, i have a Supremacy Evo and mounting it is only beat in strangeness by BeQuiet and their plastic stuff. the design of the mounting also makes the springs scratch the mounting plate while installing or removeing it and the manual was pretty strange. Then we come to the jet and jet plate which were pretty unclear because there was barely any distinction between them so it was hard to know which one was the right one... looks i dont think they win personally but thats entirely subjective and i know a lot of people really like the look of the EK blocks. I have also had quality issues with mine, it came with the copper already oxidised and quite a few of the fins were bent to shit and EK support just said: "yah this is normal, deal with it" lol

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

And can you prove that? 

temps1.png

yep http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/22/watercool-heatkiller-iv-cpu-water-block-review/5/

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah. but there are a hell of a lot of ways to make water flow throgh the milled chanels, you could also up fin densety, or lower it it add jet plates and so on. a waterblock isnt just a pice of copper. you can also make the baseplate thicker, thinner, experiment with alloys and so on... there is a lot to a waterblock and while performance improvements arent super easy to make someone has to do the RnD

ease of use is really something they havent got nailed down, i have a Supremacy Evo and mounting it is only beat in strangeness by BeQuiet and their plastic stuff. the design of the mounting also makes the springs scratch the mounting plate while installing or removeing it and the manual was pretty strange. Then we come to the jet and jet plate which were pretty unclear because there was barely any distinction between them so it was hard to know which one was the right one... looks i dont think they win personally but thats entirely subjective and i know a lot of people really like the look of the EK blocks. I have also had quality issues with mine, it came with the copper already oxidised and quite a few of the fins were bent to shit and EK support just said: "yah this is normal, deal with it" lol

temps1.png

yep http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/22/watercool-heatkiller-iv-cpu-water-block-review/5/

A ~2% variance is well within margin of error in that kind of testing environment.

Ignoring the XPSC block, I would rate these results effectively identical.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

this thread has been moved to the Liquid Cooling forums as it does not meet the Tech News and Reviews criteria:

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/13-tech-news-and-reviews/

Please ensure you read the Guidelines before creating a new post. Failure to follow the guidelines can result in your post being removed and possible warning points being assigned.

2 minutes ago, Terryv said:

A ~2% variance is well within margin of error in that kind of testing environment.

Thermal performance was tested on an overclocked i7-4930K running at 4.6GHz. 3 mounts of each orientation was done to determine the ‘best’ orientation. Then a further 3 mounts were done only on the ‘best’ orientation. Of these 6 results the worst one is thrown away. In other words one bad mount is allowed as human error, but two bad mounts is assumed to be the fault of the mounting hardware and will impact results. The TIM used was Arctic Cooling MX2 – this TIM has a low cure time and is easily spreadable and has a low mount to mount variation. The TIM is burned in for an hour with a custom Prime95 run to allow it to cure and then thermal data is logged every second for thirty minutes. All 6 CPU core temperatures are logged by RealTemp, while the coolant temperature is measured by an Aquaero 6 and logged by HWiNFO. While the Aquaero isn’t the most accurate device for logging temperatures – given the standard deviation of the results and the higher temperature deltas in question it is “good enough”.  During all of this testing pump power is fixed and hence flow varies slightly depending on the block in question.  Flow rate for all blocks is typically slightly less than 1.5GPM.

besides the use of the shitty TIM, this is a pretty solid method IMO, and a the diferance is about 5%, not 2% which id say is well outside margin of error here, its a mesurable decrese in temerature that is clearly picked up on.

5 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Ignoring the XPSC block, I would rate these results effectively identical.

all but the older model of Heatkiller from Watercool and the XPSC block are IMO clearly better performing, i cant say id consider them within margin of error really

Builds:

Spoiler

Don't see how their positions will effect r&d.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 12/16/2017 at 9:08 AM, Ginger137 said:

I wonder if this means Corsair plans on getting into custom loops

They showed off watercooling gear at Computex 2017.

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

On 12/16/2017 at 6:57 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

Agree, EK is very mediocre nowadays but it's the biggest "brand" so everyone goes with them.  Heatkiller IV Pro, Koolance 390Ci, Kryos NEXT are all blocks that are superior quality and performance over EK.

And the fact that EK can go fuck themselves for not offering non-monoblock VRM blocks anymore, when we need them the most.  Too busy designing shitty aluminum kits for poor kiddies to feel like they're grown up.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)