A true "less is more" approach for enthusiast motherboards

2dfx

There is a surprising amount of true enthusiast options for those wishing to build a PC with top tier components.  Name it, there's an add-in card for it - sound, RAID cards, network controllers (the Killer series) etc.

Yet it seems there isn't a board out there that allows me to choose these components.  Instead, even in the case of the RIVE black edition, I'm having onboard components shoved down my throat.  There doesn't seem to be ANY manufacturer that will give me an enthusiast-grade board that is BAREBONES.  The last example that I could think of was Gigabyte's X58A-OC  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3870#ov

And even in that case, I get a NIC and a basic onboard sound.

Give me a board with PS2+ a whole bunch of USB ports that I would have traditionally not used with USB headers for the 12 ports that any case typically wouldn't support.

LET ME add in my OWN sound solution, networking hardware, whatever!  

Thoughts?

EDIT - here's the concept:

post-49116-0-78447000-1387309196.jpg

the whole point of enthusiast grade is it comes with 21349012348019324143209432190814320981342143213241432 features

asking for a "barebones enthusiast board" doesnt really work :S

the only board that you can seriously add 13241234 things in would probably be the x79 WS board from asus, the one linus has in his rig

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

i think 4 usb 3.0 ports, 2 usb 2.0 ports and 2 ps2 ports are all i use.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Building an enthusiast system is about choice. It's about selecting every component in the system and picking and choosing what to put and where.

Enthusiast doesn't necessarily mean that I subscribe to the mantra that I need a a million things built into my board. It should be my CHOICE!

I think motherboards need to stop putting Audio on to their motherboard when they reach a price point.... i want to spend £350+ on a mothboard and then buy a sound card not have one added for me that is just not as good... save a little money by not adding on stupid things like that and put on more USB connectors on the back or something

Character artist in the Games industry.

Building an enthusiast system is about choice. It's about selecting every component in the system and picking and choosing what to put and where. Enthusiast doesn't necessarily mean that I subscribe to the mantra that I need a a million things built into my board. It should be my CHOICE!

The whole idea of a modern PC is that while no one  is forcing you to put 9001 expansion cards in it, you can. But the boards all have features, or they wouldn't sell. I would gladly use more USB, more eSATA, more fan headers etc. And isn't it nice ethusiast grade boards come with decent SATA controllers, better and better sound... so you don't have to waste your precious €€€ on that crap? 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The whole idea of a modern PC is that while no one  is forcing you to put 9001 expansion cards in it, you can. But the boards all have features, or they wouldn't sell. I would gladly use more USB, more eSATA, more fan headers etc. And isn't it nice ethusiast grade boards come with decent SATA controllers, better and better sound... so you don't have to waste your precious €€€ on that crap? 

You're missing the point.  Even with the RIVE Black Ed., I can still put a better NIC and sound card in as an expansion.  Give me the power delivery/board reliability of a RIVE without the onboard addons.  USB headers are part of the chipset, and fan headers are just power points.  NIC's and sound however, are addon silicon that on such a board could be removed from the BOM and thus reducing the cost of the board so I can divert that $$$ I save towards a NIC or sound card of my choice!  It's astounding that no motherboard manufacturer has thought of this.

The closest thing I can find is The Asus Z9PA-U8 and Supermicro X9SRL or X9SRL-F.

What is your idea of "enthusiast grade?"

Would you not consider the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H or Asus Z87-A enthusiast boards?  I sure would.

I get what you're saying, but IMO these $120-140 motherboards are just as "enthusiast" as the Rampage IV or Z87X-OC Force motherboards.  Sure, you may not get as many device headers, and you may miss out on 200MHz on your overclock because the power delivery isn't quite as overkill, but in the end does any of that really matter?

The pricer SKUs are made for the people who want all those bells and whistles.  The people who don't care can be smart, save some cash, and grab a board that's basic, but works just as solidly as the upper level boards.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I think motherboards need to stop putting Audio on to their motherboard when they reach a price point.... i want to spend £350+ on a mothboard and then buy a sound card not have one added for me that is just not as good... save a little money by not adding on stupid things like that and put on more USB connectors on the back or something

Just like how AMD has no onboard graphics on their 990FX chipset boards.

It's a waste of space and manufacture cost.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

What is your idea of "enthusiast grade?"

Would you not consider the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H or Asus Z87-A enthusiast boards?  I sure would.

I get what you're saying, but IMO these $120-140 motherboards are just as "enthusiast" as the Rampage IV or Z87X-OC Force motherboards.  Sure, you may not get as many device headers, and you may miss out on 200MHz on your overclock because the power delivery isn't quite as overkill, but in the end does any of that really matter?

The pricer SKUs are made for the people who want all those bells and whistles.  The people who don't care can be smart, save some cash, and grab a board that's basic, but works just as solidly as the upper level boards.

sigh.

I DO consider those good quality boards, but again, my point is that whether I'm paying $60 or $600 on a motherboard, regardless of quality, I'm still being saddled with these addons that I would rather do without.  When I say 'enthusiast' I'm meaning it in the sense that the enthusiast would be really who such a product would be positioned towards.  The builder who wants total control and total customization in his/her system.  

Such a motherboard would sell quite well methinks.

The sabertooth x79 is pretty darn barebones but I know what you mean as the went so overboard on the x79-deluxe that running more than x16 x16 x4 you get decreased performance in some of the slots.

The sabertooth x58 was quite. Barebones as well and the only additional devices it has is usb 3.0 and sata 6.0 surprisingly the sata 6.0 controller in the same on the sabertooth x79 and is just utter crap and is better off disabling. That reminds me the Gryphon Z87 is rather bare bones as well as that new B87 board that starts with a V. I guess this is why I like the TUF series so much and is why im bummed that they didnt make a updated ivy-e optimized one.

Behold!  The concept illustration hastily made in paint:

post-49116-0-87413300-1387252726.jpg

The Gigabyte X79A-BB3 motherboard - true choice!

Behold!  The concept illustration hastily made in paint:

attachicon.gif5306_big.jpg

The Gigabyte X79A-BB3 motherboard - true choice!

That is quite the less is more and I thought the ASUS Tuf boards had few things only having 1 or 2 additional devices on them.

Just like how AMD has no onboard graphics on their 990FX chipset boards.

It's a waste of space and manufacture cost.

Not to the 90% of users who use integrated graphics. Look at the steam survey. Even "gamers'" most popular GPU is the Intel hd3000

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Not to the 90% of users who use integrated graphics. Look at the steam survey. Even "gamers'" most popular GPU is the Intel hd3000

Wouldn't really consider those gaming platforms. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

That biased since many systems have both integrated and dedicated and steam will pick up both if they are both there.

Agree op, but it prob won't happen. Same reason we have dumb integrated GPU built in to the 4770k :(. I mean is there anyone out there who bought the K model and actually uses integrated graphics? 

I would much rather have them drop the integrated GPU and solder the lid then have something I will never use.

Then again why did they not solder it in the first place? Oh yeah. Then they can sell extreme chips.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Agree op, but it prob won't happen. Same reason we have dumb integrated GPU built in to the 4770k :(. I mean is there anyone out there who bought the K model and actually uses integrated graphics? 

I would much rather have them drop the integrated GPU and solder the lid then have something I will never use.

Then again why did they not solder it in the first place? Oh yeah. Then they can sell extreme chips.

Which is why such a product should be aimed towards the 990FX & X79 crowd...not really a solution designed for the users of any "integrated" platforms.  This is supposed to be anti-integration in a sense!

Your exactly correct. Why would they do what your saying when they already have an offering that is exactly that?

Which is why such a product should be aimed towards the 990FX & X79 crowd...not really a solution designed for the users of any "integrated" platforms.  This is supposed to be anti-integration in a sense!

Whoo anti integration I like it!

Your exactly correct. Why would they do what your saying when they already have an offering that is exactly that?

Why in the world would I get 12 threads when the brand new consoles have 8. Games were limited to 3 cores until these stupid "next gen" consoles game out. 

Also the non integrated I7? Yeah I could have got the Xeon Haswell. What is it 300 something without turbo? I think I am happy with my 280 with tax 4770k and MB combo from microcenter @ 4.5ghz,, and it is still dumb that it has integrated graphics on an unlocked CPU.

Thank you but I'll pass on the more expensive options without integrated graphics. The only way a hexa is worth it is if you put 3 or more gtx 780's in it, and that is only because Direct X is a joke as far as utilizing hardware. Load up Dolphin emulator and you can see just how bad Direct X is against other high level API's like OpenGL, let alone a low level API. I hope Mantle takes off and I have always been an Nvidia guy. There is no way 4 Titans should be needed for 4 K gaming. 2 would be plenty if the API wasn't total trash.

Do you work for Intel? Can you tell us how badly Broadwell will OC? I can't wait for the next chip!

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

The p6x58d-e is like the complete opposite of this xD all the bells and whistles.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball