Who should take my Linux-ginity?

Go to solution Solved by MrPatience,
On 15/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, ChaosJ said:

Great, so Ubuntu and Mint :).

I thought basis what i've read Elementary would be great. But cool, shall look into these 2. Are both Mint and ubuntu low on resource usage?

Also, linux is supposed to be super secure and robust right? would i need an Antivirus?

Elementary is just an Ubuntu rip-off aimed to be even easier for newcomers. Mint is .. well.. based on Ubuntu , hybriding with Debian. It's the redneck of linux distros, but it's a fine distribution to use. (I'm actually mainly on MInt)
You don't need an antivirus, most of the time it's about newbies having a problem, trying to fix it with old voodoo spells from a random reddit, and basically performing one of the "commands of disaster".
Just learn the basic rules. Don't stay in root forever, get back to your user (or even better use sudo). If you encounter problems, there are plenty of forums and subreddits such as r/linux4noobs that would help you =)

If you really want to be nice on security , activate the firewall (do remember it after, i just helped a dude that forgot it and tried to run a minecraft server and open it for his friend to play, without the port opened..)

Hi all,

I have setup a plex media server out of my primary desktop and will be migrating in a couple of months. When i finally do, I will take my hard disks with me and setup a new server. I was looking at FINALLY using a linux based OS for the dedicated plex server. 

If  I am correct, the OS versions/remakes are called distros. So what would you guys recommend for a complete linux newbie. Have never really seen the OS in person. I obviously was leaning towards ubuntu, but some say to go with Elementary or elementary OS Luna. can someone help me with understanding the distro architecture. Also, I would prefer something UI friendly that a windows user can easily start with. My server will be relatively private with no more than 10 TB connected to it even over the next 3-4 years or possibly ever. I plan using a 120GB ssd for the OS and some basic stuff. and streaming to no more than 8 devices total (5 MAXIMUM simultaneously)

I will sort out the processor and other hardware. It won't be an NAS setup, but a 4TB seagate barracuda. Ill house a complete backup of the drive somewhere else.

Do help me pick a good OS :). would liek something nice looking, easy on the eyes but equally low in resource drain. (but performance over prettiness any day)

8 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

Hi all,

I have setup a plex media server out of my primary desktop and will be migrating in a couple of months. When i finally do, I will take my hard disks with me and setup a new server. I was looking at FINALLY using a linux based OS for the dedicated plex server. 

If  I am correct, the OS versions/remakes are called distros. So what would you guys recommend for a complete linux newbie. Have never really seen the OS in person. I obviously was leaning towards ubuntu, but some say to go with Elementary or elementary OS Luna. can someone help me with understanding the distro architecture. Also, I would prefer something UI friendly that a windows user can easily start with. My server will be relatively private with no more than 10 TB connected to it even over the next 3-4 years or possibly ever. I plan using a 120GB ssd for the OS and some basic stuff. and streaming to no more than 8 devices total (5 MAXIMUM simultaneously)

I will sort out the processor and other hardware. It won't be an NAS setup, but a 4TB seagate barracuda. Ill house a complete backup of the drive somewhere else.

Do help me pick a good OS :). would liek something nice looking, easy on the eyes but equally low in resource drain. (but performance over prettiness any day)

Ubuntu. 

Ubuntu is very popular and probably the easiest to learn/use with a ton of community support. I'd start there.

Meh some build specs...

Meh some inspirational quote meh...

Mint I found to be quite a lot like Windows but I don’t have massive experience in Linux

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

Mint I found to be quite a lot like Windows but I don’t have massive experience in Linux

Agreed. I really like to use Mint.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I thought basis what i've read Elementary would be great. But cool, shall look into these 2. Are both Mint and ubuntu low on resource usage?

Also, linux is supposed to be super secure and robust right? would i need an Antivirus?

2 hours ago, ChaosJ said:

I used Mint because it runs very well on my craptop (old dual core pentium, 4gb ram etc.). With most Linux distros there’s an option for a lightweight version. They’re all very lightweight though

That's an F in the profile pic

On 15/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, ChaosJ said:

Elementary is just an Ubuntu rip-off aimed to be even easier for newcomers. Mint is .. well.. based on Ubuntu , hybriding with Debian. It's the redneck of linux distros, but it's a fine distribution to use. (I'm actually mainly on MInt)
You don't need an antivirus, most of the time it's about newbies having a problem, trying to fix it with old voodoo spells from a random reddit, and basically performing one of the "commands of disaster".
Just learn the basic rules. Don't stay in root forever, get back to your user (or even better use sudo). If you encounter problems, there are plenty of forums and subreddits such as r/linux4noobs that would help you =)

If you really want to be nice on security , activate the firewall (do remember it after, i just helped a dude that forgot it and tried to run a minecraft server and open it for his friend to play, without the port opened..)

Do any of the distros support touch like windows 10? Im planning on using linux with a dedicated media server and dont really want a full fledged monitor attached to it, instead maybe just a 7' touchscreen display.

Is this possible with linux?

6 hours ago, ChaosJ said:

Do any of the distros support touch like windows 10? Im planning on using linux with a dedicated media server and dont really want a full fledged monitor attached to it, instead maybe just a 7' touchscreen display.

Is this possible with linux?

The GNOME desktop, which is now the default on ubuntu since 17.04 is built with touch-screens in mind, or so they claim. Any decent desktop environment will have good enough icons for touch screen work. I haven't worked with cinnamon so I cannot tell you much about Mint and touchscreens.

What you need to make sure of with touchscreens is that it has Linux support, Google will help you there. Also if this is only a server, you can use the monitor for installation and then just enable SSH, no need for graphical installations, or at least there is no need for a fully fledged desktop running all the time. You will need it in the first run to setup plex since you cannot set it up from outside localhost, but this also can be worked around (SSH Tunnel) Other services you will be running on a server also do not require desktops usually.

2 hours ago, g el said:

The GNOME desktop, which is now the default on ubuntu since 17.04 is built with touch-screens in mind, or so they claim. Any decent desktop environment will have good enough icons for touch screen work. I haven't worked with cinnamon so I cannot tell you much about Mint and touchscreens.

What you need to make sure of with touchscreens is that it has Linux support, Google will help you there. Also if this is only a server, you can use the monitor for installation and then just enable SSH, no need for graphical installations, or at least there is no need for a fully fledged desktop running all the time. You will need it in the first run to setup plex since you cannot set it up from outside localhost, but this also can be worked around (SSH Tunnel) Other services you will be running on a server also do not require desktops usually.

i understood about 10% of what you said :S. Are you saying i should get Gnome of Ubuntu? or are you saying Ubuntu comes with Gnome by default? Also what do cinnamon and mint have in common aside from being refreshingly delicious? And SSH? Sorry, but like i said, completely new to linux, so the lingo is beyond me for now.

4 hours ago, ChaosJ said:

i understood about 10% of what you said :S. Are you saying i should get Gnome of Ubuntu? or are you saying Ubuntu comes with Gnome by default? Also what do cinnamon and mint have in common aside from being refreshingly delicious? And SSH? Sorry, but like i said, completely new to linux, so the lingo is beyond me for now.

Sorry those were keywords to get you googling :)

The graphical environment on a Linux system is not related to what distribution you chose. You can have your choice of a variety of desktops for any distribution you choose. The most common graphical environments you will encounter are GNOME which you will find on Fedora, OpenSuse, and recently Ubuntu by default. KDE is another big name, you will usually find it by default on Kubuntu and OpenSuse (they give you the choice when downloading/installing). Most of the graphical environment these days will have no problem working with touch screens.

Now when it comes to mint, it is refreshing yes. The Linux distribution mint, that was recommended in your thread several times comes with the graphical environment called Cinnamon... I cannot tell you more about that

Regarding SSH, you are talking about a server installation, you want to run a media server, that means you will set-up your OS, and Plex and then leave the system alone. That means that your choice of graphical environment will not matter. SSH stands for Secure SHell and is a way to access your system remotely to maintain it. On a server that makes much more sense then attaching a screen. If you want a server setup, you should be ready to learn how to deal with the terminal, you will not find a UI to configure every aspect of the system on Linux.

5 hours ago, g el said:

Sorry those were keywords to get you googling :)

The graphical environment on a Linux system is not related to what distribution you chose. You can have your choice of a variety of desktops for any distribution you choose. The most common graphical environments you will encounter are GNOME which you will find on Fedora, OpenSuse, and recently Ubuntu by default. KDE is another big name, you will usually find it by default on Kubuntu and OpenSuse (they give you the choice when downloading/installing). Most of the graphical environment these days will have no problem working with touch screens.

Now when it comes to mint, it is refreshing yes. The Linux distribution mint, that was recommended in your thread several times comes with the graphical environment called Cinnamon... I cannot tell you more about that

Regarding SSH, you are talking about a server installation, you want to run a media server, that means you will set-up your OS, and Plex and then leave the system alone. That means that your choice of graphical environment will not matter. SSH stands for Secure SHell and is a way to access your system remotely to maintain it. On a server that makes much more sense then attaching a screen. If you want a server setup, you should be ready to learn how to deal with the terminal, you will not find a UI to configure every aspect of the system on Linux.

Great, I think I've understood the basics. Now i can actually google because I have some context :). I will look at SSH  and see if id prefer that or a touchscreen.