Ryzen + 3200 CL14 ram kits

So, I was wondering how much of a performance boost in gaming do you get when you pair expensive ram with the ryzen chips more specifically the R 5 1600. Is it worth spending the extra money on $200 ram kits vs like $100 - $150 ddr4 2400 ram kits? Or is it better to just get an intel chip and skimp out on the ram?

Depends on what GPU and games

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

so lets say gaming @ 1440p for games like Witcher 3, Assassins Creed: Origins, Destiny 2, GTA5, WoW, ESO, ARK, PUBG

Does higher clock speed on ram increase the single thread performance of the CPU or the IPC or is some other measure of performance?

So intel isn't nearly affected as much by Ram speed as Ryzen is. So its going to vary game to game, but in my personal tests going from 2133 to 2993 with all other factors considered netted as much as 10-15 FPS gains on average, on a few titles like Battlefield 1 and PUBG it was closer to 20 FPS so your miles may vary.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

12 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

So intel isn't nearly affected as much by Ram speed as Ryzen is. So its going to vary game to game, but in my personal tests going from 2133 to 2993 with all other factors considered netted as much as 10-15 FPS gains on average, on a few titles like Battlefield 1 and PUBG it was closer to 20 FPS so your miles may vary.

Yea I know Ryzen takes advantage of higher ram clock speeds over intel but I'm trying to determine if its more lucrative to buy a R5 1600 paired with expensive ram or if I should just buy an expensive coffee lake cpu that just has more raw power.

For example: Ryzen 5 1600 + 3200 CL 14 ram kit vs i5 8600k + 2400 ram kit

10 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

what resolution thought, and what were the frame rates (10fps gain over 10 is much more important than over 200)

10 minutes ago, Tanner208 said:

so lets say gaming @ 1440p for games like Witcher 3, Assassins Creed: Origins, Destiny 2, GTA5, WoW, ESO, ARK, PUBG

Does higher clock speed on ram increase the single thread performance of the CPU or the IPC or is some other measure of performance?

In general, higher speed RAM can increase CPU IPC, because it essentially allows for higher bandwidth and lower latency leading to less time that the CPU spends waiting on RAM, which leads to higher IPC.

However, in the case of Ryzen it's a little bit different. With Ryzen, memory bandwidth/latency isn't the main reason you want faster RAM; instead it's the infinity fabric.

In a Ryzen CPU there are two CCXs (Core Complex), each with 4 cores and 8 MB L3 cache. When you look at latency between cores that are in the same CCX, it's all fine. Latency is pretty acceptable at around 20-30 ns. However, if you look at accesses between cores that's when the issues start.

While latency between cores in the same CCX is under 30 ns, if you look at latency between cores in different CCXs all of a sudden you're looking at over 100 ns! This means, if a core needs to access data in the L1, L2, or L3 cache that belongs in the other CCX it's going to be waiting almost as long as if it was going out to RAM. This can be a huge issue.

The clock speed of the fabric that connects the two CCXs is directly linked to the clock speed of your RAM. If you ram is 2133 MHz, this fabric runs at 1066 MHz. If your RAM is 3200 MHz, the fabric runs at 1600 MHz. As you could imagine, higher clock speeds for the fabric is better as it means higher bandwidth and more importantly lower latency. This is why ram frequency is so important on Ryzen: It's not because it needs faster ram, but because the ram affects something else. This results in the CPU being able to achieve higher IPC.

As to how much this affects performance... it depends. Unless you're looking at a high end gpu (1080 or 1080 ti) at lower resolutions (1080p and maybe 1440p with a 1080 ti) you won't have much of a difference even with 2133 MHz vs 3200 MHz. Even if you are using a 1080 or 1080 ti at 1080p it still depends on the game. Some games like GTA V, or Watch Dogs 2 (which REALLY sees a benefit from faster RAM) can see a good benefit from using higher frequency RAM, whereas other games like BF1 can see little to no benefit.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, Tanner208 said:

Yea I know Ryzen takes advantage of higher ram clock speeds over intel but I'm trying to determine if its more lucrative to buy a R5 1600 paired with expensive ram or if I should just buy a coffee lake cpu that just has more raw power.

For example: Ryzen 5 1600 + 3200 CL 14 ram kit vs i5 8600k + 2400 ram kit

You don't need CL14 RAM, 3200 CL14 is expensive as hell. Just get a cheaper 3000 MHz kit.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

what resolution thought, and what were the frame rates (10fps gain over 10 is much more important than over 200)

1080p and 1440p. I have a 1440p 165 hz gysnc monitor and a 4k monitor. Usually I will play single player titles (Skyrim IMO) at 4k as I enjoy the graphical experience and don't need as many frames, but ram speed has no impact there. The biggest gains I saw where with 1080p (PUBG Battlefield) and 1440p (Overwatch, ark)

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You don't need CL14 RAM, 3200 CL14 is expensive as hell. Just get a cheaper 3000 MHz kit.

Agree the difference between a 3200 kit and 3000 kit are going to be completely negligible.

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

So with a GTX 1080 @ 1440p, I should stick with Ryzen + 3000 ram kit over say a i5-8600k + 2400 ram kit?

I know intel will still win every time but I'm just wondering whats the better value.

I will be overclocking btw.

5 minutes ago, Tanner208 said:

So with a GTX 1080 @ 1440p, I should stick with Ryzen + 3000 ram kit over say a i5-8600k + 2400 ram kit?

I know intel will still win every time but I'm just wondering whats the better value.

So the i5 8600k performs in gaming exactly the same as the 8700k, only difference is threads. If your using this as a purely gaming rig I would go with the i5 8600k and 2400 kit. It will be more then enough for a while.

If you plan on doing more creation, streaming, content etc, and you want to be able to upgrade without swapping mobos for a bit the go with Ryzen. 

13 hours ago, Tanner208 said:

If you're looking at performance, the 8600k combo will be faster than the 1600 combo.

As long as ram frequency is above 2133 an 8600k is always gonna beat a 1600

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler