Scrap yard wars

brozu2u
Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,

I'd just like to see a scrapyard wars where the computers/components are given away in a comp or donated to somewhere that needs them.

I hate the thought of that hardware going to waste just sitting there doing nothing. In fact how about a scrapyard wars where the objective isn't to find the best performing rig, but rather the most useful rig, so includes peripherals etc that the objective can make good use of... and is judged by the recipient, such as for childrens ward of hospital or such for example. That way some fun can be had, and it's going to a good cause that would hopefully see some years worth of use out of it.

[edit] forgot to mention that they would have to be reliable too, not just to run a few benchmarks on.

What is your guys favorite thing about scrapyard wars? mine personally is  how both teams go straight for the jugular and look for the most powerful gpus like 980 tis and 1080 tis and low ball like Tru thugs lol

I enjoy all of it, but it's kinda starting to get boring after 5 seasons (oh boi here comes the hate)

It's just the same kinda stuff each season now, spend a large chunk of budget on a good gpu, scringe around for the best offers on the rest of the system, and at least one team doing some questionable dodgy tactics to try and cheat or mess up the other team.

It probably wouldn't bring in as many views compared to a gaming rig, but even doing a scrapyard wars server or workstation would mix it up a bit content wise, cause at this point its pretty obvious the hardware is gonna be 980/980ti or 1070/1080 if they get lucky, paired with an old i7/xeon, and running the same tests.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

22 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I enjoy all of it, but it's kinda starting to get boring after 5 seasons (oh boi here comes the hate)

It's just the same kinda stuff each season now, spend a large chunk of budget on a good gpu, scringe around for the best offers on the rest of the system, and at least one team doing some questionable dodgy tactics to try and cheat or mess up the other team.

It probably wouldn't bring in as many views compared to a gaming rig, but even doing a scrapyard wars server or workstation would mix it up a bit content wise, cause at this point its pretty obvious the hardware is gonna be 980/980ti or 1070/1080 if they get lucky, paired with an old i7/xeon, and running the same tests.

I sorta agree with you. It's a really good concept, but I think they need to mix it up. I don't know what their budget for these kinds of things is or how much they're getting sponsored, but I'd love to see them go a bit further, like, fly to the UK or Australia or whatever and do a season there, so no one has a home advantage.

BTW - God tier beard.

- @Slick in a PM once

I'd just like to see a scrapyard wars where the computers/components are given away in a comp or donated to somewhere that needs them.

I hate the thought of that hardware going to waste just sitting there doing nothing. In fact how about a scrapyard wars where the objective isn't to find the best performing rig, but rather the most useful rig, so includes peripherals etc that the objective can make good use of... and is judged by the recipient, such as for childrens ward of hospital or such for example. That way some fun can be had, and it's going to a good cause that would hopefully see some years worth of use out of it.

[edit] forgot to mention that they would have to be reliable too, not just to run a few benchmarks on.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

44 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

but even doing a scrapyard wars server or workstation would mix it up a bit content wise

i would like to see a gaming laptop edition, or a "linux edition", which would require getting hardware with good linux drivers. this would also be interesting because building a €300 pc, but without the OS, would mean a €425 pc with Windows included... since linux is free, this won't be a problem.

She/Her

44 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I'd love to see this, you could even make it a challenge where the PC is tested as both a gaming rig and a workstation

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

44 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

a gaming laptop edition

laptops tend to have little to no upgrade options, storage and maybe ram, so it'd basically be who could find the best laptop within a budget, not very exciting

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

7 hours ago, RKRiley said:

spend a large chunk of budget on a good gpu, scringe around for the best offers on the rest of the system, 

Yeah.  They should change it up a bit.

Hey I was thinking... How about one of 2 rules?  Either they can't spend more than US$40 on their GPU, or, they can't use one that ever had an MSRP above US$80. :P

Using the iGPU on a more expensive CPU would be permitted, though.  (I'd like to see someone use a Broadwell desktop LGA1150 CPU + iGPU, like the i5-5675C or i7-5775C. :D)

7 hours ago, RKRiley said:

even doing a scrapyard wars server or workstation would mix it up a bit content wise, 

I'd love to see something like this too.  For example, build a NAS system with a few rules...

• Max base budget ~ $180-240, or, entire system must be equal or lower priced than an individual ~6-8TB hard drive.
  • Budget includes CPU & cooler, mobo, 8GB RAM (or enough to get the system up & running), the OS + Programs storage drive, a GPU if the mobo doesn't have HDMI or DisplayPort built in, case, PSU, OS (so cost for UnRAID has to be included if used), any other paid-for software for the system's main purpose.
  • If possible, a display, keyboard, mouse, and if used, an extra NIC, extra SAS HBA, and a UPS should be included in the price as well.
  • The hard drives used for storage / RAID, as well as extra RAM (for ZFS, for example) wouldn't be included in the budget.  Just don't splurge on RAM (I see you can get 64GB DDR2 FB-DIMMs on eBay for like $60 or so), and don't cheap out on HDDs (no Seagate Archive, WD Green, etc).
  • The mobo should support at least 192GB ECC RAM (or 128GB if DDR2 or older) and HDDs > 2.2 TB, and be able to go in a standard consumer case without any modifications needed.
  • Oh, and no modding of other parts either, like Linus did with cutting off a part of a GPU's PCIe extension for a dual-771 build video he did a while back.
  • The system should support at least 14 3.5" HDDs from the beginning, with room to add more (via HBAs, extra drive cages, etc.)

I wonder how difficult that might be to do.... I haven't had much luck looking for NAS parts to build with that criteria & budget, but then I'm not Linus when it comes to finding good deals. :P