Are you suggesting that the 4670K is less powerful than the 2500K? Or are you suggesting that it doesn't overclock? Because I fail to see how a lower performing cpu is a better choice just because it is less expensive.

So the FX 6300 is $65/59% less expensive than the i5 4430, is faster in multi-threaded workloads like media encoding and can be overclocked.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4430+%40+3.00GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-6300+Six-Core

Are you using cpu or gpu rendering?

CPU rendering of course, otherwise the comparison would be invalid.

GPU rendering is still dodgy in Sony Vegas.

Yes, the Adobe creative suite (Premiere Pro). In the latest Adobe CC OpenCL is significantly faster than CUDA.

Oh wow.. didn't know this... I will have to see which program he is using (the ones you mentioned) he might get better performance from a decent GPU then.

I thought CUDA was used for photo editing. Didn't know it was both. Really wasn't focused on a GPU, but if he uses either program you suggested, maybe i should be.

Main Rig: Mainboard: Asus P8Z77 Pro Processor: Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz (Swiftech H220) Memory: G-Skill Sniper Series 16GB 1866MHz Video Card: Asus GTX660 Ti Drives: 500GB (Western Digital HDD) 120GB (OCZ Agillity SSD) 1TB (Western Digital HDD) 1TB (Seagate Barracuda HDD) 120GB (Kingston SSD) PSU: Corsair TX 850 OS: Windows 7 Premium 64-Bit Monitor Type: 26" Asus & 52" Samsung Smart TV

Laptop: Dell XPS 17" - CPU: Intel i7-2720QM 2.2GHz Memory: 16GB (stock) Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Drives: x2 500GB Features: BlueRay Drive, JBL Speakers, 3D Monitor

Video rendering is always multi-threaded, some of these websites like techspot are running the single-threaded benchmarks which is absolutely stupid, it's like buying a 780 Ti and downclocking it to 300Mhz to play games, they're wasting so much performance by running the benchmarks on a single thread.
What takes 20 minute to render on a single thread, takes 5 minutes on a quad core chip on four threads.

Oh wow.. didn't know this... I will have to see which program he is using (the ones you mentioned) he might get better performance from a decent GPU then.

I thought CUDA was used for photo editing. Didn't know it was both. Really wasn't focused on a GPU, but if he uses either program you suggested, maybe i should be.

OpenCL is supported in the entire suite of Adobe CC.

Adobe announced about 6 months ago that they've stopped CUDA development and switched to OpenCL for all future software.

The charts listed by Mindtrickz are misleading since they're all single threaded and no one uses the single threaded render options of the software because it's significantly slower.

The 8350 is as fast as the 3770K in handbrake NOT slower than a 2500K

handbrake.png

totalcode-studio.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-17.html

3dsmax.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-14.html

Not really though, since it depends on the suite as such. And no, 8350 is not as fast as the 3770K. Don't be fictitious.

cb11-multi_0_0.png

euler3d.png

x264-1_0_0.png

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

GPU rendering?

Are you talking about using cuda cores? If so, is this limited to specific programs?

Yes, using CUDA or OpenCL to render means that the massively parallel nature of the gpu is being used to do the render. In which case the cpu has a negligible effect on render times. And yes, using the gpu for rendering does depend on the program and type of rendering being done.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Not really though, since it depends on the suite as such. And no, 8350 is not as fast as the 3770K. Don't be fictitious.

cb11-multi_0_0.png

euler3d.png

x264-1_0_0.png

Cinibench is synthetic, fluid dynamics has nothing to do with video production, first pass is single threaded, second pass is multi-threaded.

The 8350 is as fast or even faster than the 3770K in multi-threaded workloads, which all aspects of video production are.

x264-2_0_0.png

povray_0_0.png

CPU rendering of course, otherwise the comparison would be invalid.

GPU rendering is still dodgy in Sony Vegas.

Other than saying your 8350 is significantly faster at rendering than your 4670K in Sony Vegas Pro, there was no other data. So only you knew the basis for the comparison.

Other than saying your 8350 is significantly faster at rendering than your 4670K in Sony Vegas Pro, there was no other data. So only you knew the basis for the comparison.

Well I only recently bought my intel rig for gaming, thought I would switch completely to intel if I can get similar render times to my 8350, but that didn't work out so I kept my 8350 machine as a workstation for editing.

OpenCL is supported in the entire suite of Adobe CC.

Adobe announced about 6 months ago that they've stopped CUDA development and switched to OpenCL for all future software.

Do you have a link to this announcement, I couldn't find it anywhere.

I couldn't find anything there that said Adobe was stopping support or development of CUDA rendering acceleration. All I could find was that CS 6 will include support for OpenCL in the Mercury Playback Engine.

There is also an announcement of the new Mercury Graphics Engine which uses OpenCL and OpenGL. I believe both AMD and nVidia cards support OpenCL and OpenGL.

I couldn't find anything there that said Adobe was stopping support or development of CUDA rendering acceleration. All I could find was that CS 6 will include support for OpenCL in the Mercury Playback Engine.

There is also an announcement of the new Mercury Graphics Engine which uses OpenCL and OpenGL. I believe both AMD and nVidia cards support OpenCL and OpenGL.

Support for CUDA should remain but development has switched to OpenCL.