Fradulent cards on wish app

picklesyo

Hello all, new to the forum, first post here. Just noticed something fishy on the wish app I've been using a lot lately. I have been seeing tons of "GTX 960"s on there, for between $35-50 plus shipping from china. Immediate red-flag. Looking at the specs, Im not sure if they somehow can change the name, GPU ID and Vram amount displayed, or if its just simple photoshop but it is definitely not a gtx960, my best guess is a GTS 450 due to clock speeds. Just a little heads up, I plan on ordering one anyways to see exactly what it actually is for myself since they are so cheap anyways. also they are selling "GTX 1050ti"s for around $60, but dont post any gpu-z info so I have no clue what those really are

1.png

Untitled.png

Yeah I think you are right about it being a 450. Considering an actual 960 has 32 ROPs and 64 TMU's and their GPUZ  is showing 16, which is also how many the 450 has.

edit: Shader count matches a 450 as well.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

what i am really curious about is if there actually is 4gb of VRAM or not, and if there is a definitive way to test, or do I just have to pull the cooler off and look?

7 minutes ago, picklesyo said:

what i am really curious about is if there actually is 4gb of VRAM or not, and if there is a definitive way to test, or do I just have to pull the cooler off and look?

Afterburner might be able to detect how much actual VRAM there is.

3 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Afterburner might be able to detect how much actual VRAM there is.

I dont see anything in afterburner for my current GPU, but if they are somehow able to trick gpu-z I would imagine it would trick afterburner as well.

1 minute ago, picklesyo said:

I dont see anything in afterburner for my current GPU, but if they are somehow able to trick gpu-z I would imagine it would trick afterburner as well.

You should be able to scroll through the graphs until you see one that says "Memory usage, MB"

they're actually vbios modded gtx550tis

they're all over taobao, ebay and aliexpress too, masquerading as 750tis and 960s. 

not a bad price even considering the performance 

idk

3 hours ago, picklesyo said:

-snip-

I know that we all know this is completely faked, but lemme just point out some things wrong with the GPU-Z screenshot that some others seem to have missed. First off, the memory type entry isn't inset like all the others are, leading me to believe that it was edited in some way. Dunno why they wouldn't take the time to make that look legitimate if they already did so much. Then, the memory size entry looks a bit different from the others, but that might just be artifacting from the image compression, so I can't draw a definitive conclusion. Regardless, there appears to be a lack of shading on the left and right side of the inset box that leaves it looking different from the others. Then, the GPU is listed as "1401." I looked it up, and apparently the Device PCI ID is that number, but on a legitimate screenshot of a GTX 960, that entry is listed as "GM206." Also, on newer graphics cards like the GTX 960, the technology, release date, die size, and transistor count are all properly listed, even on GPU-Z versions older than the one in this screenshot. Then, a shader clock is mentioned, which only appears in GPU-Z with older NVIDIA graphics cards. For the GTX 960, that entry is always listed by a boost clock.

Anything else? :3

Anyway, as for the card itself, nothing seems to match this card's specifications to the letter. However, I would agree that it is a GTS 450 based on the shader count, clock speed, bus width, and ROP count. I believe the TMU count was edited, because it is by default 32. Also, now that I think about it, it's possible that the memory type isn't edited, because the GTS 450 has GDDR5, so why would they need to change it?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered an fake 1050ti from wish: http://www.wish.com/c/5a18f269d97087666972844b

Must be fake anyway, underpriced and far, far underpowered compare with an real gtx1050ti, but what can it be? Someone checked the chip? Payed with afterpay but no way im gonna pay for that piece of shit. When it arrived i will post de details of the actual chip but curious what it actually is...

If you can order one on ebay, I'd recommend it.

I just got a refund from pay-pal after showing some proof.

Sounds shady and whatnot but hey, they tried scamming people.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:41 PM, picklesyo said:

Hello all, new to the forum, first post here. Just noticed something fishy on the wish app I've been using a lot lately. I have been seeing tons of "GTX 960"s on there, for between $35-50 plus shipping from china. Immediate red-flag. Looking at the specs, Im not sure if they somehow can change the name, GPU ID and Vram amount displayed, or if its just simple photoshop but it is definitely not a gtx960, my best guess is a GTS 450 due to clock speeds. Just a little heads up, I plan on ordering one anyways to see exactly what it actually is for myself since they are so cheap anyways. also they are selling "GTX 1050ti"s for around $60, but dont post any gpu-z info so I have no clue what those really are

1.png

Untitled.png

If you want instant proof that it is not an actual gtx960, what gtx960 has a VGA port? Food for thought. This goes for most graphics cards on wish.com. 

I just received a supposed GTX 1050 Ti from Wish.com (about $60 inc postage)
It is definitely not a 1050, nor anything close.

It's BIOS has been altered to report as a 1050 Ti, but it's specs are very low - exactly the same as a GTS 450 (783mhz etc.) . It's reporting CUDA capability level 2.1, which agrees with it being a 450.

The graphics benchmarks (3d mark, Unigen etc.) just crash when I try to run them.

It does not have 4gb RAM. Is reports 4gb, however anything that tries to access above 1gb causes a crash (usually hard crash).

I'm pretty disappointed. It's not useful for games, because the fake bios makes it massively unstable. It's no good for deep learning because no current frameworks work with CUDA level lower than 3.0. It's not useful for currency mining because 1gb is too small.

I'm going to ask for a refund from Wish.com - also, it might be slightly more useful if you could flash the bios back to a version compatible with a GTS 450. At least it would be a stable card then.

Cheers,

-James

Having removed the heatsink and inspected the chip, I can confirm that what was sold as a 1050 Ti does in fact have a GTS 450 GPU.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close off this topic, Wish.com to their credit did give me a full refund for this card, and allowed me to keep it too. I am going to try putting some GTS 450 ROM images onto the card and see if I can make it run more stably.

• 4 weeks later...

So I bit the bullet and bought not one but two, 1050 Ti's from Wish. Why? because i was trying to build the cheapest Miner, with extra parts from old computers at work, i5 and i7 CPUs, PSUs, Fans, etc. and stuff it all in a milk crate. This was and has been the first time I have done anything hardware related with a CPU, other than turning it on. I also loaded a Linux OS on it.(Remember i have no clue what Im doing). My GPUs come in while im traveling for work. For nearly a month. I finally get to them, slap them on and nothing works. Don't worry it wasn't the GPUs. it was the BIOS. i then slap on the GPU and hours of online tutorials, searching and typing, and learning some VIM and more typing I finally get to start mining HUSH only to find out i'm only getting 9 Sol/s per GPU. So I open up Nvidia Server settings to see this. I'm obviously not to savvy on this stuff, but i'm pretty sure i got screwed. I am unable to return them due to it being over 30 days since the receive date. So in short, Don't be me. Save your money for some real GPUs.

IMG_0812.JPG

• 1 month later...

I saw 2 euro GPUs on Wish no idea if they would arrive would be intresting to know if these are PCIE cards they would be worth 2 euro for sure if they would but yeah that's a scam 

On 13/12/2017 at 1:56 AM, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah I think you are right about it being a 450. Considering an actual 960 has 32 ROPs and 64 TMU's and their GPUZ  is showing 16, which is also how many the 450 has.

edit: Shader count matches a 450 as well.

Yeah, lots of Youtubers have covered this. They flash the bios to display/give false information. Cards will either perform as the normal 450, or totally crash, as the firmware may be really buggy (trying to put 4gb of textures on a 1gb card :P ).

On 2-4-2018 at 5:27 PM, Redicat said:

I saw 2 euro GPUs on Wish no idea if they would arrive would be intresting to know if these are PCIE cards they would be worth 2 euro for sure if they would but yeah that's a scam 

The small letters said that there was a chance of getting it, it apperently is a mystery box .... Unlucky.

gpu.PNG

I Just saw a video from Craft Computing about $1 graphics cards on wish.com.

I Can't say i'm surprised at what wish.com sent him. As someone whose gpu just died, i'm wondering if buying a card that's obviously a scam, like a 1050ti's rom flashed to a 550ti, would be worth getting on ebay, and then reporting it to Ebay/PayPal to get my money back. 

Would that be a good method to get a free temporary gpu? I would hate to have ebay give me money from they're "pocket", since I know i'm buying into a scam (which might be against they're rules?) But with PayPal wouldn't they be able to pull the money from the scammers account and give it back to me?

I think I read somewhere that PayPal can take the money from the scammers account and give it back to me, i'm not sure? Would they just be giving me money out of they're "pocket" like Ebay?

If PayPal were to grab that money from the seller and give it to me. PayPal has an employee put some time into a case for my money (which still might put them in a "loss" in this situation) I get a gpu, and the seller doesn't keep his money or his gpu... that is if I get to keep the gpu and if it all works that way..? I think with these scams you often get to keep the product, right?

I'll try and look into PayPal and Ebay like pulling money from the seller stuff soon?

Regardless i'm interested in getting a "1050 ti" or "960" and flashing the bios to the correct bios and getting a free card.

• 3 weeks later...

WISH app is full of scams beyond computer hardware. If it looks too good to be true, 99.7% of the time it is

I. Found These on ebay

Not quit sure what they are but defiantly not a gtx970

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

11 minutes ago, elderago said:

I. Found These on ebay

Not quit sure what they are but defiantly not a gtx970

That's a GTS 450