Is it dead?

Cb2394
Go to solution Solved by Cb2394,

So final update, I was able to get my hard drive to finally be recognized, switched SATA ports(I had the backup hard drive on my SATA 4, moved the main from SATA 1 to SATA 2), still couldn't read a thing off of it so. A format didn't allow a fresh install so I deleted all partitions, reformatted and then fresh installed. I do believe it is just about dead though, crazy load times in both installs and program loading, my read speeds seem crazy low to the eye. Thank you for all the help!

So, mind the lack of information, on posting this on break, I'm wondering if my hard drive failed or if just my boot is corrupted. Running Ryzen 3 1200 on a gigabyte gaming 3. Hard drive is a barracuda, ran fine for the little under two months I've had it. During a gaming season I got a blue screen, didn't think to much of it, end of day so I let it do its thing, the recovery, then powered my system off. Yesterday I went to turn it back on and after the Gigabyte flash screen I encountered a screen saying I was missing a file in system32. No problem, plugged in my windows 10 USB, restarted, and the windows 10 fix couldn't fix. Tried to wipe it and do a fresh install and it wouldn't let me. Plugged in an old laptop hard drive I have lying around, boots out of that fine, but my PC can't find my barracuda. , Both plugged into the motherboard at the same time. So, is the barracuda dead or am I dunce and missing something, besides more information for this post at this time.

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94

It sounds dead and wouldn't surprise me.

Seagate hasn't been good lately..

Try swapping out the SATA port your barracuda is connected to.

Go into diskmanagement, if you can't find it there it's most likely screwed.

Can you connect the Seagate to another computer via a caddy or similar? You can run a check on it if you can pick it up in another OS. That'll be the best way to narrow it down.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

When you used Windows 10 to check for a fix did the Windows 10 USB recognize the partitions on the Barracuda? 

30 minutes ago, userzero said:

Can you connect the Seagate to another computer via a caddy or similar? You can run a check on it if you can pick it up in another OS. That'll be the best way to narrow it down.

The only other computer I have is a work grade laptop, no hard drive caddy, but like I said I can boot my spare drive just fine, just can't find my main hard drive on my system.

33 minutes ago, Shog said:

When you used Windows 10 to check for a fix did the Windows 10 USB recognize the partitions on the Barracuda? 

It did, sorta. At one point I saw them all but wouldn't let me fix them or format them, couldn't navigate back there though. If it helps when I change my boot order in the bios it will sometimes show the windows boot manager for the main drive, and then othertimes it's completely missing

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Well if you can boot the spare hard drive there's nothing wrong with that sata port or cable. So boot Windows on the spare hdd, with the Seagate connected in another sata port, and see if you can see it in disk management in Windows. Sounds like it's toast.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

So final update, I was able to get my hard drive to finally be recognized, switched SATA ports(I had the backup hard drive on my SATA 4, moved the main from SATA 1 to SATA 2), still couldn't read a thing off of it so. A format didn't allow a fresh install so I deleted all partitions, reformatted and then fresh installed. I do believe it is just about dead though, crazy load times in both installs and program loading, my read speeds seem crazy low to the eye. Thank you for all the help!