Need More Hdmi Ports

MarcoR5

I have a pre-built decently new asus pc and I need more HDMI ports any suggestions? 

8 minutes ago, MarcoR5 said:

I have a pre-built decently new asus pc and I need more HDMI ports any suggestions? 

Whats the model? 

Do you have any other digital outputs like DVI or DisplayPort? Those can easily be converted to HDMI.

If you're out of ports completely, you have two pretty bad options, depending no what you're trying to do.

1. You can buy a splitter, which will give you identical output on however many monitors you split the signal to. They would all display the same thing, and would be treated as 1 single monitor of the same resolution. This is useful if you want to mirror your screen on a TV, for example, but isn't useful for much else.

2, You can buy a fairly expensive device like the Dual/Triplehead series from Matrox (like this one), but the digital one of those you'd need is close to £200 ($250), and comes with some major downsides - although ech display would be "independent", Windows would treat it as a single display, which means you'd have issues snapping windows etc. This also limits you to a maximum of two/three monitors, and also limits you to the same resolution/refresh rate on each - the triple head one has even lower resolution support since all the data still has to comply with a single HDMI connection bandwidth.

24 minutes ago, Cyborgsmith said:

Whats the model? 

Its just an asus m-32 I bought from best buy.

24 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Do you have any other digital outputs like DVI or DisplayPort? Those can easily be converted to HDMI.

If you're out of ports completely, you have two pretty bad options, depending no what you're trying to do.

1. You can buy a splitter, which will give you identical output on however many monitors you split the signal to. They would all display the same thing, and would be treated as 1 single monitor of the same resolution. This is useful if you want to mirror your screen on a TV, for example, but isn't useful for much else.

2, You can buy a fairly expensive device like the Dual/Triplehead series from Matrox (like this one), but the digital one of those you'd need is close to £200 ($250), and comes with some major downsides - although ech display would be "independent", Windows would treat it as a single display, which means you'd have issues snapping windows etc. This also limits you to a maximum of two/three monitors, and also limits you to the same resolution/refresh rate on each - the triple head one has even lower resolution support since all the data still has to comply with a single HDMI connection bandwidth.

I have a VGA Port, but its directly from the motherboard like my HDMI wouldn't it be like you said? "will give you identical output on however many monitors you split the signal to"

4 minutes ago, MarcoR5 said:

I have a VGA Port, but its directly from the motherboard like my HDMI wouldn't it be like you said? "will give you identical output on however many monitors you split the signal to"

Which motherboard/cpu are you using? Most IGP's support at least 2 concurrent outputs (different monitors independently), but some have weird limitations that we can't really confirm without knowing those specs.

Also, getting an analogue > digital converter is a lot harder than just getting digital > digital to work. The picture quality will likely suffer.

An adapter like this will allow the conversion, so if we can get those specs we can see if the board/cpu physically supports running both at the same time. It should, but best to be sure. 

11 minutes ago, MarcoR5 said:

Its just an asus m-32 I bought from best buy.

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

you should be connecting everything to the GTX 1050 thats at the bottom (if this is the model you have)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vivopc-m32cd-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-1tb-hard-drive-gray-black/6109502.p?skuId=6109502

As @TrigrH said, if you have that specific machine and it includes a 1050, then the 1050 willl have it's own ports that you can use (and should be using as your primary output).

In that case, you can use the HDMI output from the motherboard as well if you ever need another monitor hooked up, but you'll need to be careful with 3D applications as they may try to render using the wrong device if both are working at the same time.

6 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Which motherboard/cpu are you using? Most IGP's support at least 2 concurrent outputs (different monitors independently), but some have weird limitations that we can't really confirm without knowing those specs.

Also, getting an analogue > digital converter is a lot harder than just getting digital > digital to work. The picture quality will likely suffer.

An adapter like this will allow the conversion, so if we can get those specs we can see if the board/cpu physically supports running both at the same time. It should, but best to be sure. 

I don't have that exact model, here is the one I have;

Asus M32CD-AS51 Desktop 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6400 Quad-Core 2.7 GHz processor (turbo to 3.3GHz)
8GB DDR4; 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
Intel Integrated 530 HD Graphics
802.11 AC WiFi with Bluetooth 4.0
Windows 10 Home Operating System.

https://www.bestcomputers4sale.com/product_info.php/asus-m32cd-as51-desktop-p-1698

7 minutes ago, MarcoR5 said:

I don't have that exact model, here is the one I have;

Asus M32CD-AS51 Desktop 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6400 Quad-Core 2.7 GHz processor (turbo to 3.3GHz)
8GB DDR4; 1TB HDD 7200 RPM
Intel Integrated 530 HD Graphics
802.11 AC WiFi with Bluetooth 4.0
Windows 10 Home Operating System.

https://www.bestcomputers4sale.com/product_info.php/asus-m32cd-as51-desktop-p-1698

Okay, unfortunately, you don't have a dGPU you can hook up to, so your only choice would be an adapter like the one I posted, or my previous recommendations. 

That intel cpu has the capability to allow both outputs to work simultaneously as separate display devices, so barring some really terrible decisions on the motherboard design, that adapter should be all you need for 1 more output.

After that, you're looking to get USB display adapters, a full GPU, or the awful splitters/dualhead devices I mentioned earlier, if you need more than the 2 displays.

16 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Okay, unfortunately, you don't have a dGPU you can hook up to, so your only choice would be an adapter like the one I posted, or my previous recommendations. 

That intel cpu has the capability to allow both outputs to work simultaneously as separate display devices, so barring some really terrible decisions on the motherboard design, that adapter should be all you need for 1 more output.

After that, you're looking to get USB display adapters, a full GPU, or the awful splitters/dualhead devices I mentioned earlier, if you need more than the 2 displays.

Why are the splitters awful? and can you maybe give me link so I can buy it in the US

2 minutes ago, MarcoR5 said:

Why are the splitters awful? and can you maybe give me link so I can buy it in the US

They aren't so much awful as simply extremely limited. Dumb splitters literally just display the same image coming from your one port, onto multiple monitors. This is fine if you only need a second monitor to display the exact same image - like running a TV from your machine, but you have basically no more flexibility than a single monitor.

USB gpu's are a solution like I mentioned and @Name Taken posted a video of, and those are decent, but you will get compression artefacts at high refresh rates or with fast movement, so it's more for productivity (mainly static images) than anything else. 

Here's a similar converter on amazon US, but there are lots available.

46 minutes ago, Tabs said:

They aren't so much awful as simply extremely limited. Dumb splitters literally just display the same image coming from your one port, onto multiple monitors. This is fine if you only need a second monitor to display the exact same image - like running a TV from your machine, but you have basically no more flexibility than a single monitor.

USB gpu's are a solution like I mentioned and @Name Taken posted a video of, and those are decent, but you will get compression artefacts at high refresh rates or with fast movement, so it's more for productivity (mainly static images) than anything else. 

Here's a similar converter on amazon US, but there are lots available.

Alright I placed the order, Thanks alot!

On 12/12/2017 at 2:27 AM, MarcoR5 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/171884318180?chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220866%3Apla-142405589826&abcId=&adtype=pla&merchantid=109754305&poi=&googleloc=9045206&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0 this will fix your problem 

this is an ebay link to a 2 in 1 hdmi prot for only 2 quid