Could I get your opinion on this planned build please?

TheNacho

Hey guys,

I am thinking of replacing my trusty old Q6600 with something newer after some years of service. Now, the first draft would be the following:

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini

CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K

MoBo: Some Z77 MATX board (Asrock Z77 Pro4 or equal)

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue

PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power L8 630W

SSD: Samsung 840 256Gig

Graphics wise, I'm not sure which one to pick up yet, either a GTX660Ti, which would require a month more of saving money, or something like a 7870 or 7950.

Some input would be greatly appreciated. I am residing in Germany, if that should be important for part-recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Nacho

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

PC: i7 3770K - G1.Sniper M3 - 8GB Kingston HyperX Red - Asus DirectCU2 GTX660Ti - BeQuiet 530W Modular PSU - 128GB Crucial M4 - 1TB Samsung storage HDD

why are you going with a last-generation processor? With Haswell coming this summer you will be two generations behind.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Oh damn, you're right!

Gotta change that to a 3770 then. Haven't researched those model numbers carefully enough ...

PC: i7 3770K - G1.Sniper M3 - 8GB Kingston HyperX Red - Asus DirectCU2 GTX660Ti - BeQuiet 530W Modular PSU - 128GB Crucial M4 - 1TB Samsung storage HDD

why are going for a 3770? are you planning on doing any hyper threaded work? If this going to be built for gaming, than the 3570k will be the best for price:performance. you will also save some $$ which can help you get the gpu. If you can get the 7950, great!!, once you overclock it, it works like a beast. Go for the 660ti, if you are not much into overclocking.

You can also get the non-k version of the 3570, if you are not planning to overclock.

The ssd of 256gb will fill up quickly. I would suggest getting a 120/128gb ssd, and get a 1tb/1.5tb hdd. If you have the money, keep the 256gb ssd, but get a hdd for storage. ssd only improves the boot up time, and gives around 1 to 2 fps gain in games.

If you are going for something for video editing/Adobe Creative Suite work I would go with the most cores + the 660Ti. If this is a gaming computer I would say go with a solid i5 like razersum said and get an AMD card on the high end. Imagine what will happen with that card when the next never settle drivers come out.

I'm working with Adobe programs, thats why I chose the i7, but the PC should be able to handle the occasional game aswell.

Storage-wise, I am taking my terabyte HDD from my old tower, next to the SSD, that should be enough.

Pro tip: K edition CPU's go in z77 chip set boards. If you don't have the k edition you won't need an overclocking chipset and can save a butt load of cash

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I want to get a K CPU to overclock it later. For now I will get a boxed cooler, and later on, I will get a good air cooler, or something like an H220 to OC it.

So, question. Is the i7 worth the 80 - 100 bucks more, or would the i5 be enough for some video/photo editing (non-hardcore) and some gaming?

Thanks! I think I will go with the 3570K then, and put the saved money into a better GPU!