Define R5 radiator placement

I've just bought a Define R5 case and I'm trying to decide where to put my radiators. I've attached my two options (except I'm keeping the optical cage and using two 240mm rads). Does bottom or front mount radiator position have any benefit over one another?

1. I imagine bottom would have better airflow because of the door (would have to suck from around the edges of the door like my Antec P150).

2. Filter cleaning would be roughly the same - they can both easily be changed from the front.

3. Bottom mount leaves me with the question of where to mount the reservoir/pump. Front mount I can use the HDD cage as a stand.

4. Bottom mount means a max PSU length of 165mm which rules out a lot of my 750W+ options, not to mention room for the modular plugs.

5. Bottom might get dirtier being so close to the carpet (it's sitting on plastic carpet protector at the moment).

6. Would bottom be easier/harder to drain? The radiators have ports on both sides so one could go straight out the underside if I drill a hole, but then I couldn't really do a valve or anything.

Thoughts?

r5radiators.PNG

I just realised I can't use the HDD cage as a stand for my reservoir, because the GPU will get in the way. I have no idea where it would go in either case?

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

the rad on the floor will need a taller footing as the spacing underside is limited and will starve the airflow into the rad/case. it is enough for a low speed PSU fan (if using that option). the 240 in the front intake has a bit better airflow than the floor option.

depending on hardware used, a single 280x60mm (1400rpm fans) in the intake for a CPU/GPU loop can suffice (won't fit in the roof as the mobo/RAM heatsinks are too tall).

IMHO, the define r-series is more for air/AIO cooling than custom loop with no complications.

They make 280x60 rads? I've only looked at EK so far and their 60mm range is all 120mm. They do make a 280x45 that would JUST fit in the front (2mm clearance under ODD cage :/).

Hardware wise, I'm cooling a Ryzen 1700 + VRMs (AX370 monoblock) and Vega 64 so I'm gonna need a fair bit to keep up once I start turning up the clocks. EK's Configurator recommended a 360 and a 240 but 2x240s didn't turn up the temps much at all.