Mass Effect Andromeda 100% CPU usage

Hi,

I've done some Googling/Redditing on this, but didn't find any conclusive answers other than "it's a CPU intensive game".

While running Mass Effect Andromeda on a variety of different graphical settings (ranging from medium to ultra, with variations made at times), the CPU hits and stays at 100% for the entire time that I am in game.  Once I close the application, CPU usage drops.

Full specs are in my profile, but I'm running an i5-6500 (cooled by a Hyper 212 Evo), GTX 1060 6GB (slightly overclocked), 16 GB DDR4, and going for 1080p, ~60FPS, at high-ish settings.

Anyone else have any experience or details on this?  I saw many posts where people with way better CPUs than me were having similar issues, so I don't know if it's a DRM thing like AC: Origins or what?

Thanks in advance for the help; let me know if I need to provide more info.

9 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

Hi,

I've done some Googling/Redditing on this, but didn't find any conclusive answers other than "it's a CPU intensive game".

While running Mass Effect Andromeda on a variety of different graphical settings (ranging from medium to ultra, with variations made at times), the CPU hits and stays at 100% for the entire time that I am in game.  Once I close the application, CPU usage drops.

Full specs are in my profile, but I'm running an i5-6500 (cooled by a Hyper 212 Evo), GTX 1060 6GB (slightly overclocked), 16 GB DDR4, and going for 1080p, ~60FPS, at high-ish settings.

Anyone else have any experience or details on this?  I saw many posts where people with way better CPUs than me were having similar issues, so I don't know if it's a DRM thing like AC: Origins or what?

I'm in Ryzen 1700x, and have no issues like this. Any crazy background tasks? I think maybe my laptop would get up there, it's a 6700HQ. But I don't remember exactly. It's finals season, so I haven't had a chance to play recently.

1 hour ago, kingfurykiller said:

Hi,

I'm not sure why your pegged that high. My I5 4460 with 16 gigs ram and an XFX Rx 480 rx 4gb sits at only 65% usage at high settings. Also running at 1080P and sitting at 58 fps average. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

18 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm in Ryzen 1700x, and have no issues like this. Any crazy background tasks? I think maybe my laptop would get up there, it's a 6700HQ. But I don't remember exactly. It's finals season, so I haven't had a chance to play recently.

Nope, no background tasks.  I actually am careful to close most background tasks while gaming, and I never keep steam open if Origin is running, or vice versa.

17 hours ago, Zusafek said:

I'm not sure why your pegged that high. My I5 4460 with 16 gigs ram and an XFX Rx 480 rx 4gb sits at only 65% usage at high settings. Also running at 1080P and sitting at 58 fps average. 

Ok, so it's clearly not an issue of weak hardware.  I'm pretty sure I'm on the most update version of the game.

I did reinstall the files to my HD instead of my SSD to save space, but while that might increase load times, I wouldn't expect that to hurt the CPU. And I was having the CPU issues before the reinstall.

• 2 years later...