Slow transfer speed from SSD to HDD, and PC seems to be slow

kiicki

I'm moving a 89GB folder from my main Samsung 840 EVO 500GB to my Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 256MB 4TB. Folder contains 6 MKV files, so we are not dealing with a lot of files. The transfer speed seems to be around 1-2MB/s. Sometimes even lower. During this, I was trying to open up a Google spreadsheet from my Google drive, but it didn't want to open. I clicked 3 more times and nothing. The transfer speed was on 0 too. Suddenly a couple min later, 3-4 tabs opens up and the speed shoots up to 11-12MB/s, but drops down again to 1-2MB/s.

I assume this is not normal transfer speed from one drive to another. This is a 2 month build where the SSD is the only "old" part, but should still work flawlessly. I built it myself 2 months ago, and every drive is up to date. I got all the drivers from the motherboard site, except the chipsets drivers where I grabbed them from AMD, and GPU driver from Nvidia.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3,2GHz Socket AM4 Box
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC25600/3200MHz CL16 2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 2xHDMI 2xDP 6GB
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
HDD Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 256MB 4TB

EDIT: Drivers I got from Asus website: BIOS, Audio, LAN. I got the Chipsets from AMD, and GPU drivers from Nvidia. I'm running Windows 10 creators fall, and Windows update is up to date.

Try running CrystalDiskInfo on the drives to see how they perform. How are the speeds when copying a file on the same drive? Check your CPU. RAM and disk usage, something may be eating up all of the computer's resources. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Try running CrystalDiskInfo on the drives to see how they perform. How are the speeds when copying a file on the same drive? Check your CPU. RAM and disk usage, something may be eating up all of the computer's resources. 

I will try copy/paste from/to the same drive once this transfer is done. Everything is running slow now. I closed Chrome, and when I was re-opening it, it took forever for bookmarks and stuff to load. This hasn't been an issue until I transferred that folder from my SSD to my HDD. In the task manager, everything seems to be running fine. Not quite sure why the memory takes 25% of the total as I can't really see any hard load there. I got 16GB of RAM. Will also run CrystalDiskInfo.

One thing though, everyone recommended me to get the chipsets drivers from the AMD site, and not from the Asus site. The thing is that the chipsets driver from AMD is like 1/10 of the size than what Asus got, and non requires an internet connection to install the driver. So it's not grabbing more files from the internet. Maybe I should try the Asus chipsets driver.

5 minutes ago, kiicki said:

I will try copy/paste from/to the same drive once this transfer is done. Everything is running slow now. I closed Chrome, and when I was re-opening it, it took forever for bookmarks and stuff to load. This hasn't been an issue until I transferred that folder from my SSD to my HDD. In the task manager, everything seems to be running fine. Not quite sure why the memory takes 25% of the total as I can't really see any hard load there. I got 16GB of RAM. Will also run CrystalDiskInfo.

One thing though, everyone recommended me to get the chipsets drivers from the AMD site, and not from the Asus site. The thing is that the chipsets driver from AMD is like 1/10 of the size than what Asus got, and non requires an internet connection to install the driver. So it's not grabbing more files from the internet. Maybe I should try the Asus chipsets driver.

There's quite a lot of hidden processes that use up RAM. Generally they're essential OS components, so there's no need to worry about that, they just don't show up in task manager.

You can try getting chipset drivers from Asus, but I doubt it will make a difference. If it's one drive that's consistently slow, there may be something wrong with it. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There's quite a lot of hidden processes that use up RAM. Generally they're essential OS components, so there's no need to worry about that, they just don't show up in task manager.

You can try getting chipset drivers from Asus, but I doubt it will make a difference. If it's one drive that's consistently slow, there may be something wrong with it. 

I just find it weird because I haven't notice this slowness before I did this transfer. I got my apps and OS running on the SSD and no issues. I got games on my HDD, and I had no issues. A combination between them seems to be bad. I also used this SSD in my old Alienware M17x r3, and I had the same issue transferring folders from the SSD to a HDD. I just assumed that it was the laptops fault as it was kinda bad, and it did indeed have SATA issues. To the point where even Alienware disabled Sata 3 in a BIOS update.

I got a spare SSD here, so once this transfer is done, I will do as you told earlier, and if that passes for some reason, I will try to transfer from my spare SSD to the HDD. The spare SSD is new actually which I got for the laptop that I grabbed my current desktop SSD from.

On 7.12.2017 at 12:50 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

So the test didn't come out good for my HDD. Not quite sure what to do since the build is new, and so is the HDD. Everything was bought new except for the HDD. I tested my SSD and my HDD, and the test for my HDD is rather bad.

https://imgur.com/ZQbCtWs

https://imgur.com/yJGfFnI