0d, a Nightmare Build Story [Long]

Killerhipo

I've got a story to tell, so be prepared because it might be long. A few months ago I started to put together a new build. I had built my previous computer with barely any knowledge and although I love it, it could have been better. Since then it has been over half a decade, I have learnt a huge amount about computer parts and have helped at least 2 dozen people build computer over the years, never had a problem. So now that it was time to build myself a new computer I wanted to go the whole 9 yards, rgb, tempered glass, you name it.

I ordered all the parts and put the computer together and it was magnificent. I installed Windows on my new M.2 and was running some benchmarks. Then the crashes started. They were random and I couldn't see any obvious problems. I updated the bios, and there was no difference, then I tried getting into the bios and it would just skip the bios screen and go directly into windows, then it happened. Error code 0d. The computer no longer booted and only showed an active black screen.

I tried everything, an nothing would work, eventually I decided the motherboard was broken and got it RMAed. They repaired it, sent it back and would you guess it it still didn't work. I RMAed it again, and this time they sent me a new one but it still didn't work. I RMAed a third time and this time brought the new mobo to a computer store and had them diagnose it in case I was unknowingly bricking boards. They found an extra standoff on the case, said it was shorting the board and said that was it.

I rebuilt the computer, and it worked, it wasn't stable but it worked. And then it got less and less stable and then like all the mobos before me, error code 0d. So I bring the computer back into the store, here is where it gets fun. The repair guy works on the computer for a week and half non stop. He tried switching all the components out and nothing would get rid of the error, the computer seems to be limiting itself out to 100W on the CPU. Again no matter what component of combination of components the guy changes the code still happens. So the repair guy builds a completely new computer using the same parts I have. It works. He then tries to switch one of the components from the new working build with one of mine, and it gets the error. So he puts back the new part and tries switching a different part, same problem. No matter what component he takes from my build to add to the new build it gets the same error.

So the build is haunted. It's like a virus has infected the whole thing, any part instantly corrupts a build. I've been instructed to RMA every part and try again. Just my luck.

Tell me your nightmare build stories, and we can laugh at our misery. Sorry for the long post.

I don't have any nightmare build stories, I mean there were a couple odd issues when I built my current pc, surprise nvme ssd needed a driver update and windows 10 was mildly possessed, dumping some holy water directly on the mobo while it was running exorcised that... But 3 different series asrock boards have died on me right outside of warranty, that's never any fun...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

oh god i am soooo happy that this did not happen to me like i build a pc for 5000 $$$ and it was my first time so instead of building a cheap one i was like yolo anyway i still had problems for like five minutes  #feelsbadman

ayyy.jpeg

I want to add that everything should still be under warranty so besides effort it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also another funny detail the repair guy told me that "You would need a team of engineers to fix your computer".

And I want to mention that before the second time I brought my computer in I checked one last time to make sure I wasn't crazy and the computer worked, it didn't. I Uber to the computer store, and drop of my computer and I get a call the next day. "Hello, ya I just tried tuning on your computer and it went right into windows, what did you say was wrong again?". I told the guy the problem, he said he would run a few more tests and 2 days later I got a call from him confirming I wasn't crazy and that there was an issue.

19 hours ago, KhandakeF said:

@LinusTech Haunted Hardware ep. 2

Honestly I wish there was somewhere I could bring it that could actually diagnose it. I'm curious what could cause issues like this.