Test box simulator

Squish4058

So I have been tasked with designing an app,(windows program)

-The app will test a box,

-The box has its own s**tly designed program, which can pull variables when given an address, its really buggy. You pull variables by sending a packet with an address, the box even runs some simple (on boot) ram tests and simular and stores the results.

-The box stores the results of its own limited on board tests

-The box requires a packet of a certain type to be sent every 30s, aswell as the current box state, for example "returning data", "data returned" or "waiting"

-The box only has a single ethernet port for our uses.

the boxes cost a shitton, using the box itself to design my app is out of the question until I have a solution 70% complete minimum

So that I can design my own app to work with this box, it has been agreed I try and make a simulator for this box

I have been thinking about a webserver to start with, I want to try and avoid stuff like ubuntu server OS as I want to take this thing with me to the multiple workplaces I have, and only run it when I work on this project.

What webserver is the best option, or if anyone has anything better (eg a Raspberry PI) then go ahead

EDIT, the current software we use (which I am trying to replace) uses a selected network adapter, which you then ethernet into the box and it sends logon packets ( I have all the data for which packets to send for all of these)