Looking to upgrade my brothers computer

Go to solution Solved by Damascus,
2 minutes ago, CarlCarl said:

Here are all 6GB 1060 cards for sale in DK. Sorted by price. Here is two that looks interesting: Link - Link but is a bit more expensive.

Best value (literally a 1070 cooler on a boosted 1060 - and cheap to boot)

http://m.pricerunner.dk/pl/37-4158415/Grafikkort/Inno3D-iChill-GeForce-GTX-1060-6GB-X3-V2-(C106F2-3SDN-N5GSX)-Sammenlign-Priser

The palit you linked is also great, as are both of the cheaper kfa2 dial fan cards.  The aorus is way overpriced and not worth it

Are there other factors than the read and write speed? Because if there is not then this Silicon Power S55 SSD seems the best.

Like I said, I'm no expert.  There are about a dozen factors, read/write are but a fraction of the whole.  

Alright, thank you. What speed do you think would do his pc well? I cant get another stick of the exact same ram because they are not sold anymore.

Just needs to be the same size, other than that it's fine 

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my brothers pc. He has been complaining, saying its too slow and lags in games. He is not good with computers and I have a basic knowledge. I reformatted his pc and reinstalled windows, but it still had problems with loading times and low framerates. He plays AAA games like Battlefield 1, Far cry 4 and Fallout 4. He also plays poorly optimized games like DayZ, ARK: Survival Evolved and Battlegrounds. He is looking to play Assassin's Creed Origins if he gets it for Christmas. He uses a 60Hz monitor and does not need to play games at the highest settings. Medium graphics settings will do, for the most demanding games. I am thinking he needs to upgrade almost everything. A new motherboard is needed since the one he currently has doesn't support his wifi adapter. An SSD with space enough for windows and small everyday programs is also something I'm looking for. Should I choose Ryzen and/or Vega? If someone were so kind to help me out I would love for you to look up the price of the part on https://www.computersalg.dk/ which is my primary place to buy computer parts here in Denmark. For price comparison, http://www.pricerunner.dk/ is the best site with Danish crowns to use. Prices in Denmark is different from in the USA. If there is anything you think you could help me with I would appreciate it a lot if you would. I always come back to the LTT forum for help. And have never been let down :D

Specs:
CPU:                                                      Intel Core i5 4440

GPU:                                      Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660

RAM:                                         Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB

MOBO:                                            Gigabyte H81M-DS2V

Drive:                                                           WD Black 1TB

PSU:                                     Coolermaster Thunder 600W

Info:
Budget: Willing to pay what it takes. But without paying extra for features he won't use.

Used for: Gaming.

Monitors: Single monitor with 60hz at 1080p.

Goal: Getting my brother's computer upgraded to a point where he can play the newest AAA games with a solid 60 FPS. Not having slow startups. Transferring files, opening programs and operate his pc with ease.

Webshop used: https://www.computersalg.dk/

Let me know if any more information is needed. I'm willing to take benchmarks. Thank you in advance.

I would get a 1060 3GB, another 8GB of RAM and an SSD

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Just now, bruny06 said:

This,

A CPU upgrade may help as well, but not necessary.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

This,

A CPU upgrade may help as well, but not necessary.

I thought of that, but I don't know, I'm fairly happy with my i5 2500 at 4.1GHz and a 1070.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

Gtx 1070 and voila, 1080p60 locked, good to go.

A 1070 is a bit overkill for 1080p. I have a 1070 and I have around 60FPS average on max settings on PUBG, but PUBG is just poorly optimized. This is at 1080p.

I would get a 1060 6gb or RX 580 + 8gb of RAM and an ssd. 

If if you are willing to go used these are all good options as well

About equal to a 1060/580

290/290x, 390/390x, 980

About equal to a 1070

980 ti, fury/fury x

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

12 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

A 1070 is a bit overkill for 1080p. I have a 1070 and I have around 60FPS average on max settings on PUBG, but PUBG is just poorly optimized. This is at 1080p.

I don't look at averages, i don't like to dip below 60. This is why 1060 will not be enough if one likes to play on max settings. On medium the 1060 can maintain a stable 60.

24 minutes ago, CarlCarl said:

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my brothers pc. He has been complaining, saying its too slow and lags in games. He is not good with computers and I have a basic knowledge. I reformatted his pc and reinstalled windows, but it still had problems with loading times and low framerates. He plays AAA games like Battlefield 1, Far cry 4 and Fallout 4. He also plays poorly optimized games like DayZ, ARK: Survival Evolved and Battlegrounds. He is looking to play Assassin's Creed Origins if he gets it for Christmas. He uses a 60Hz monitor and does not need to play games at the highest settings. Medium graphics settings will do, for the most demanding games. I am thinking he needs to upgrade almost everything. A new motherboard is needed since the one he currently has doesn't support his wifi adapter. An SSD with space enough for windows and small everyday programs is also something I'm looking for. Should I choose Ryzen and/or Vega? If someone were so kind to help me out I would love for you to look up the price of the part on https://www.computersalg.dk/ which is my primary place to buy computer parts here in Denmark. For price comparison, http://www.pricerunner.dk/ is the best site with Danish crowns to use. Prices in Denmark is different from in the USA. If there is anything you think you could help me with I would appreciate it a lot if you would. I always come back to the LTT forum for help. And have never been let down :D

Specs:
CPU:                                                      Intel Core i5 4440

GPU:                                      Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660

RAM:                                         Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB

MB:                                                  Gigabyte H81M-DS2V

Drive:                                                           WD Black 1TB

PSU:                                     Coolermaster Thunder 600W

Info:
Budget: Willing to pay what it takes. But without paying extra for features he won't use.

Used for: Gaming.

Monitors: Single monitor with 60hz at 1080p.

Goal: Getting my brother's computer upgraded to a point where he can play the newest AAA games with a solid 60 FPS. Not having slow startups. Transferring files, opening programs and operate his pc with ease.

Webshop used: https://www.computersalg.dk/

Let me know if any more information is needed. I'm willing to take benchmarks. Thank you in advance.

That is honestly a good build, firstly on your list should be a better GPU, a 1060 3GB but a 6GB would definitely be better, get another 8GBs of ram and he'll be fine for a couple of years. Why replace the whole motherboard instead you can get a different wifi dongle/card.

3 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

I don't look at averages, i don't like to dip below 60. This is why 1060 will not be enough if one likes to play on max settings. On medium the 1060 can maintain a stable 60.

in PUBG? Nope, I had a 1060 before and I played at very low settings on PUBG and I was getting about 60 average. It dipped below 60 very frequently.

23 minutes ago, bruny06 said:

in PUBG? Nope, I had a 1060 before and I played at very low settings on PUBG and I was getting about 60 average. It dipped below 60 very frequently.

PUBG is an example of piece of shit optimization, don't use that game as a benchmark even if you play it. And still in early access.

2 hours ago, bruny06 said:

Ok so GTX 1060 3GB it will be.

Do you have any recommendations for a 120 GB SSD?

Do you have any recommendations for ram?

Will Any ram be compatible with each other?

Could you please explain why an extra 8GB is needed, Thanks

2 hours ago, Damascus said:

I would get a 1060 6gb or RX 580 + 8gb of RAM and an ssd. 

If if you are willing to go used these are all good options as well

About equal to a 1060/580

290/290x, 390/390x, 980

About equal to a 1070

980 ti, fury/fury x

Why would I get the 6GB over the 3GB GTX 1060?

Is there any 120 GB SSD you can recommend?

Any ram you can recommend?

Thank for you for posting.

2 hours ago, said:

That is honestly a good build, firstly on your list should be a better GPU, a 1060 3GB but a 6GB would definitely be better, get another 8GBs of ram and he'll be fine for a couple of years. Why replace the whole motherboard instead you can get a different wifi dongle/card.

Thank you for your response :)

What ram should I get?

He got gifted a PCE-AC6 some time ago. So it's a quite expensive one. I can for the love of Santa Claus not get it to work. So I think it just doesn't work on that motherboard(about 5% sure).

I have the same and it works on my computer.

I have tried everything, over hours.

4 minutes ago, CarlCarl said:

Thank you for your response :)

What ram should I get?

He got gifted a PCE-AC6 some time ago. So it's a quite expensive one. I can for the love of Santa Claus not get it to work. So I think it just doesn't work on that motherboard(about 5% sure).

I have the same and it works on my computer.

I have tried everything, over hours.

I guess it could be worth getting a new mobo and CPU, but than you'd need to get DDR4 ram etc. 

2 hours ago, CarlCarl said:

Why would I get the 6GB over the 3GB GTX 1060?

Is there any 120 GB SSD you can recommend?

Any ram you can recommend?

Thank for you for posting.

6gb model is 10% faster and has double the vram

99% of the time a 256gb ssd will cost the same, don't get 120gb ssds.  A good cheap model is the mx300

Literally whatever is cheapest you can get in the second hand market that has matching Gb per stick

11 hours ago, Damascus said:

6gb model is 10% faster and has double the vram

99% of the time a 256gb ssd will cost the same, don't get 120gb ssds.  A good cheap model is the mx300

Literally whatever is cheapest you can get in the second hand market that has matching Gb per stick

Since the price difference is not too big I will go with the 6GB instead. Does it care if it's a compact version? Should I get one with a backplate?

As I said, prices in Denmark are all over the place so it hard to find whats best for my money. The 275 GB MX300 is 21$ more expensive than the cheapest SSD which is a 240 GB Kingston UV400. If you want to help me out, here is a price comparison for all SSD's for sale in Denmark.(You can translate with the integrated translate plugin with the chrome browser)

So will DDR4 ram work with DDR3?

14 hours ago, <Aleks> said:

I guess it could be worth getting a new mobo and CPU, but than you'd need to get DDR4 ram etc. 

I really want to just not get the new MOBO and have everything work :(

I have been struggling with it for so long that I don't remember what I have tried. Do you have any experience in this matter? Would reinstall the bio work? Or is there some motherboard driver I might need? I have tried installing the WiFi card driver but that's not the problem.

14 minutes ago, CarlCarl said:

Since the price difference is not too big I will go with the 6GB instead. Does it care if it's a compact version? Should I get one with a backplate?

Doesnt matter too much, send me links for the 3 cheapest ones + one that's cheap and looks great.

As I said, prices in Denmark are all over the place so it hard to find whats best for my money. The 275 GB MX300 is 21$ more expensive than the cheapest SSD which is a 240 GB Kingston UV400. If you want to help me out, here is a price comparison for all SSD's for sale in Denmark.(You can translate with the integrated translate plugin with the chrome browser)

I'm not sure but the WD green isn't the worst thing ever.  Most of the ssds on that list are kind of awful tbh

So will DDR4 ram work with DDR3?

Nope

30 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Doesnt matter too much, send me links for the 3 cheapest ones + one that's cheap and looks great.

Here are all 6GB 1060 cards for sale in DK. Sorted by price. Here is two that looks interesting: Link - Link but is a bit more expensive.

I'm not sure but the WD green isn't the worst thing ever.  Most of the ssds on that list are kind of awful tbh

Are there other factors than the read and write speed? Because if there is not then this Silicon Power S55 SSD seems the best.

Nope

Alright, thank you. What speed do you think would do his pc well? I cant get another stick of the exact same ram because they are not sold anymore.

Best value (literally a 1070 cooler on a boosted 1060 - and cheap to boot)

http://m.pricerunner.dk/pl/37-4158415/Grafikkort/Inno3D-iChill-GeForce-GTX-1060-6GB-X3-V2-(C106F2-3SDN-N5GSX)-Sammenlign-Priser

The palit you linked is also great, as are both of the cheaper kfa2 dial fan cards.  The aorus is way overpriced and not worth it

Like I said, I'm no expert.  There are about a dozen factors, read/write are but a fraction of the whole.  

Just needs to be the same size, other than that it's fine