Ryzen 3 stuck at 1.5Ghz?

Hi community! I just put together a budget build to do some very basic gaming similar to the "just game" 2017 Holiday Build Guide . However, I've noticed my Ryzen 3 1200 is stuck running at 1.5Ghz regardless of what load I put on it. The mobo doesn't support overclocking, but shouldn't I still get stock CPU clock speeds at least? I just installed a fresh copy of Win10 64bit and updated the bios and drivers. The multiplier never changes from 15.5. I also tried disabling both "Cool 'n' Quiet" as well as "C6 Mode" in the bios which didn't help. See screenshot below with Prime95 running and CPU speed still just 1.5Ghz. Any ideas? Is this normal for this mobo or is something wrong?

Specs:
MB: ASRock A320M-DGS (bios 3.3)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 8GB
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050
HDD: Crucial SSD 275GB
PWS: Diablotek 600watt

9ucH6iN.jpg

Have you checked readings off task manager and some other monitoring apps? Do they show the same?

Try change window power option to High Performance? 
Why the VRM is so hot even at low voltage?

7 minutes ago, Cudsmacked said:

PWS: Diablotek 600watt

simpsons-fire.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, frozeNNN said:

Have you checked readings off task manager and some other monitoring apps? Do they show the same?

Unfortunately I have and they all appear to show the same info:

MWwRuQs.jpg

1 minute ago, Cudsmacked said:

Unfortunately I have and they all appear to show the same info:

MWwRuQs.jpg

Weird, try clearing CMOS, if that doesn't help then you might need to update BIOS.

That is a common error with some boards and CPUs but normally only appears if you change the voltage in the BIOS to anything other than "auto".

Update your motherboard to the newest BIOS version (if not already) and do a full and proper reset by removing the CMOS battery.

EDIT: Some examples:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=289639.0

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632003/ryzen-1700-resets-its-multiplier-to-15-5

There are more if you care to search for them....

2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Try change window power option to High Performance? 
Why the VRM is so hot even at low voltage?

simpsons-fire.gif

Hi xAcid9, just tried at High Performance and same numbers. As for the VRM temp, I was kind of wondering that too. I understand they are kind of suppose to run hot on cheapo mobos, but I don't have enough experience to know if this is normal or not.

12 minutes ago, cynexit said:

That is a common error with some boards and CPUs but normally only appears if you change the voltage in the BIOS to anything other than "auto".

Update your motherboard to the newest BIOS version (if not already) and do a full and proper reset by removing the CMOS battery.

I updated the bios to 3.3 (newest). I did reset the cmos before the update but not after, I will do a reset and report back.

- Pulled the battery and put the jumper in clear cmos for a full 30sec. Didn't change the behavior. Checked with both "Cool 'n' Quiet" & "C6 Mode" enabled and disabled in bios. Same with both.

check if Windows power management is set to active cooling and 100% maximum frequency

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

check if Windows power management is set to active cooling and 100% maximum frequency

Thanks firelighter487, Just checked Windows settings:

High Performace [Active]

Min processor state - 100%

Cooling policy - Active

Max processor state - 100%

17 minutes ago, cynexit said:

EDIT: Some examples:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=289639.0

http://www.overclock.net/t/1632003/ryzen-1700-resets-its-multiplier-to-15-5

There are more if you care to search for them....

Thanks cynexit, I indeed have run across some of those posts in my searching. However, all of what I've seen has to do with overclocking, which I'm not and unable to do with this mobo. So I was hoping I was just missing something.

33 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Wow, so because I can't change my voltage on this motherboard it would appear that I'm screwed. Any suggestions on which component I should send back/replace? The CPU or the MB?

Thanks for your time.

1 hour ago, Cudsmacked said:

Thanks firelighter487, Just checked Windows settings:

High Performace [Active]

Min processor state - 100%

Cooling policy - Active

Max processor state - 100%

okay, i can't see why it would be stuck on 1.5 ghz... 

however, Min cpu state should be 5%, otherwise it's at full clock constantly, and wastes power. 

She/Her

2 hours ago, Cudsmacked said:

Wow, so because I can't change my voltage on this motherboard it would appear that I'm screwed. Any suggestions on which component I should send back/replace? The CPU or the MB?

Thanks for your time.

Sorry, I can't tell for certain.

• 4 weeks later...
For any interested - it was a bad CPU and not a settings issue. Returned the Ryzen 3 1200 for a replacement and the new one works as expected.