Building a high end rig - Will I be fine?

GrandKei

Hi. So as of a few weeks ago I started buying PC parts in increments since that's what I could start doing and now I have very little left to buy and am facing a dilemma, or two to be exact.

Parts list link here

I still have the exact board and ram to buy, but my first question is exactly which graphics card I should buy?

I am already dead set on getting a AIO liquid cooled card and a Gsync display. But I realize that if I am going with the green team my money can almost kinda be wasted at this stage being that it's near the end of the 1000 series lifespan new card should be coming out. 

My current idea is that I get a FTW Hybrid 1080 and use that for about two years or whatever until the next gen is comes around and isn't some kind of a mess like things can be. But there's also the option to get the 1080 Ti AIO or even a 1070/1070 Ti AIOs. I'm just not exactly sure how high I should go especially since I am getting a 165 htz 1440p monitor (or something like that, prices are in total flux and that doesn't do good for planning ahead) I am a total rookie builder so I don't even know how well all the stuff I am putting together will go.

My second big-ish kind of thing is my motherboard and whether or not the one I have chosen is good on "futureproofing" and whether everything that I have chosen will just work.

If you want to suggest a different board, I don't exactly mind going higher, I just want a X370 chiset for overclocking and whatever else it has. I just don't want to exceed $150 USD.

Thank you in advance for your help I appreciate it.

11 minutes ago, GrandKei said:

Hi. So as of a few weeks ago I started buying PC parts in increments since that's what I could start doing and now I have very little left to buy and am facing a dilemma, or two to be exact.

Parts list link here

I still have the exact board and ram to buy, but my first question is exactly which graphics card I should buy?

I am already dead set on getting a AIO liquid cooled card and a Gsync display. But I realize that if I am going with the green team my money can almost kinda be wasted at this stage being that it's near the end of the 1000 series lifespan new card should be coming out. 

My current idea is that I get a FTW Hybrid 1080 and use that for about two years or whatever until the next gen is comes around and isn't some kind of a mess like things can be. But there's also the option to get the 1080 Ti AIO or even a 1070/1070 Ti AIOs. I'm just not exactly sure how high I should go especially since I am getting a 165 htz 1440p monitor (or something like that, prices are in total flux and that doesn't do good for planning ahead) I am a total rookie builder so I don't even know how well all the stuff I am putting together will go.

My second big-ish kind of thing is my motherboard and whether or not the one I have chosen is good on "futureproofing" and whether everything that I have chosen will just work.

If you want to suggest a different board, I don't exactly mind going higher, I just want a X370 chiset for overclocking and whatever else it has. I just don't want to exceed $150 USD.

I would go with a 1080ti even when they come with new GPU it still would be good enough, or just wait totally  and use an older/1050 card second I see you're going whit an Asus prime why don't you combine that with t-force night hawk RGB ram as it cost a little bit less (if I'm right) and has rgb. 

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

4 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

why don't you combine that with t-force night hawk RGB ram as it cost a little bit less (if I'm right) and has rgb. 

Is that on the supported ram listing for Ryzen? That's almost literally why I am going with that ram other than a small amount of brand loyalty

Just now, GrandKei said:

Is that on the supported ram listing for Ryzen? That's almost literally why I am going with that ram other than a small amount of brand loyalty

i don't know i forgot that kind a

1 minute ago, _SAITAMA_ said:

If you want a high end PC get a GTX 1080 ti instead.

Currently there's a $200 dollar difference between the 1080 and 1080 ti, is it worth that gap to use for two years?

Volta for gaming apparently won't come out. Been posted in the end section several times. The next Nvidia architecture for gaming is supposed to be Ampere, which won't come out for ages. None of this is officially confirmed, though.

The Prime Pro is the best AM4 motherboard for under $150. The K7 for $160 is better in terms of features (and I think memory overclocking), and has a similar VRM. Not really worth it, even if it's a good sale, imo.

:)

39 minutes ago, GrandKei said:

Parts list link here

For 165Hz 1440p get the 1080Ti, if you want it to last for long. Also wait for Zen+. It will have 4.4-4.6GHz Core Clocks and (hopefully) a 10-15% increase on IPC. 

1 minute ago, DanielMDA said:

For 165Hz 1440p get the 1080Ti, if you want it to last for long. Also wait for Zen+. It will have 4.4-4.6GHz Core Clocks and (hopefully) a 10-15% increase on IPC. 

I have already purchased my processor sadly, but I think I would wait for Zen 2 anyway since it's supposed to be an even bigger jump in performance. 

7 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Volta for gaming apparently won't come out. Been posted in the end section several times. The next Nvidia architecture for gaming is supposed to be Ampere, which won't come out for ages. None of this is officially confirmed, though.

The Prime Pro is the best AM4 motherboard for under $150. The K7 for $160 is better in terms of features (and I think memory overclocking), and has a similar VRM. Not really worth it, even if it's a good sale, imo.

Well if that's the case ti it is then...

Just now, GrandKei said:

I have already purchased my processor sadly, but I think I would wait for Zen 2 anyway since it's supposed to be an even bigger jump in performance. 

Yes Zen 2 will be both a tick and a tock. Meaning a completely new architecture and to top it off a die shrink, meanin better thermals and clock anyway. 2019 will be great.

Just now, DanielMDA said:

Yes Zen 2 will be both a tick and a tock. Meaning a completely new architecture and to top it off a die shrink, meanin better thermals and clock anyway. 2019 will be great.

Certainly

2 minutes ago, GrandKei said:

It's just rumours, nothing confirmed yet

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

It's just rumours, nothing confirmed yet

5 minutes ago, GrandKei said:

Nvidia has a lot of no you can't game on this card and it just games fine. fine just like with the titan card's