Are there a difference in quality of displayport cables? Old one supported 144hz on my monitor. New one only goes up to 120hz.

LaboonTheWhale

As the title states. 

I have a display port cable I bought from microcenter that worked on my monitor up to 144hz. But I needed a longer one so I bought one on Amazon and it only goes up to 120hz in the display properties. 

I was just hoping someone could clarify. I tried to not get the cheapest China made one. 

https://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/
Only thing I could find.

EDIT: How long is the new cable? It might not be capable of pushing 144Hz if it is too long.

EDIT2:

For 1440p 144hz monitors, your maximum reliable cable length will be about 10 ft. (3m) Above that comes down to manufacturing tolerance of the individual cable, and greater than 15ft (5m) is just out of the question. 1440p 144hz requires more bandwidth than 4k 60hz. I found that I had to drop from a 15 ft. (5m) cable to a 3m cable, as it limited the refresh rate to 80hz. I went through a lot of cables before I realized the hard truth that DisplayPort simply can't do it at much greater lengths.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3uvp02/a_holiday_reminder_on_quality_displayport_cables/cxi7k7n/

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

5 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

It is 10ft exact. It was just a little too far from my tower for 6ft cables. 

There are different revisions of DP same as with HDMI, you need to look at the spec sheet and find the minimum revision you need for 144Hz if that's what you want.

Edit: apparently I'm just talking out my ass.

3 minutes ago, Sack said:

There are different revisions of DP same as with HDMI, you need to look at the spec sheet and find the minimum revision you need for 144Hz if that's what you want.

All the DP revisions use the same cable.