Upgrade from FX 6300: should I stay on the same socket?

So I recently sold my FX 6300 in hopes of upgrading it to an FX 8350, but I wasn't fast enough to CEX and they don't have any left. My budget for a CPU is around £80 (roughly $110) and I was wondering if it's

1. better to wait for another FX processor to come along
  2. better to sell my motherboard and use the money made from that to buy a different socket and intel processor.

I currently have an old Phenom ii 955 or something that's covering me and an MSI 970 GAMING Motherboard. I also have a cooler master hyper evo 212 so overclocking is acceptable.

I am very happy buying used items, I just can't decide. Any help is appreciated. Cheers

The day of the AM3+ socket is over. It will be better to go with a newer socket.

3 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

better to sell my motherboard and use the money made from that to buy a different socket and intel processor.

An r3 1200 will wreck any fx CPU, try for that instead 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

AM3+ is a dead platform. Either go to Ryzen or an Intel Based CPU. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

3 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

So I recently sold my FX 6300 in hopes of upgrading it to an FX 8350, but I wasn't fast enough to CEX and they don't have any left. My budget for a CPU is around £80 (roughly $110) and I was wondering if it's

2. better to sell my motherboard and use the money made from that to buy a different socket and intel processor.

I currently have an old Phenom ii 955 or something that's covering me and an MSI 970 GAMING Motherboard. I also have a cooler master hyper evo 212 so overclocking is acceptable.

I am very happy buying used items, I just can't decide. Any help is appreciated. Cheers

I would be very shocked if you make enough selling your board to replace it with anything decent, the 8350 isn't bad, I still use one, but I wouldn't buy one now, ryzen has completely beaten it into the ground at this point

1. That won't happen. The FX series and the AM3/+ socket is dead. 

2. I doubt you'll get anything decent for the money, especially in terms of motherboards. Used CPUs can be found fairly inexpensively, but used boards tend to be expensive. 

For £80 or less, your best option is likely going to be a used FX series. You can get an FX 8320 (A lower clocked 8350) for that or less on eBay. 

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

An r3 1200 will wreck any fx CPU, try for that instead 

Even after selling the CPU and board, the price of a new board, RAM and the R3 is going to be over budget. 

EDIT: My recommendation would be to save up more and either switch to Ryzen or to switch to an Intel platform. Ivy bridge is getting fairly cheap now, with 3770s coming in at about £120. Issue would be finding a board as LGA1155 boards seem to be fairly hard to come by, or are stupidly expensive. 

4 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

If the mobo is an AM3+ socket then I would go ahead and buy the FX 8350. Your not going to see any new FX processors that lineup died a long time ago however if you have good cooling you can get decent performance outta the old FX 8350 as long as your not buying a whole new mobo, RAM, ect. If you gotta upgrade the mobo as well its better to go Ryzen, even the Ryzen 1200 will outperform the FX 8350.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Even after selling the CPU and board, the price of a new board, RAM and the R3 is going to be over budget. 

Yeah, looks like you're correct.  I would look into x58 + Xeon, they are starting to get cheap again.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

2 minutes ago, Yatys 93 said:

I would be very shocked if you make enough selling your board to replace it with anything decent, the 8350 isn't bad, I still use one, but I wouldn't buy one now, ryzen has completely beaten it into the ground at this point

As has intel...

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

I should clarify that while I'd love to get a Ryzen 3 1200, it's £93 which is around $125 and I'd also need new ram

Just now, Armakar said:

As has intel...

indeed. however ryzen is cheaper by a fairly large amount

Just now, Yatys 93 said:

indeed. however ryzen is cheaper by a fairly large amount

its very expensive over here

Just now, coolcommando54 said:

I should clarify that while I'd love to get a Ryzen 3 1200, it's £93 which is around $125 and I'd also need new ram

ok, so to completely answer you questions and hopefully help.

1) yes you can get any of the 8XXX FX chips and see an improvement over the 6300, as they are all the same chip essentially just with different clock speeds, ignoring the lower tdp options.

2) I would heavily recommend saving and upgrading, either to an intel chip or ryzen, even if that means an older intel chip so you can keep your ddr3 in use, again will be heavy improved over the 6300.

As I said about, I still use my 8350 on a regular basis as an editing station after overclocking it to 4.85, however it is not by any stretch a "good" buy today, and I would much more push towards an older intel even one that isn't overclockable with a lower end board.

10 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

its very expensive over here

Im the same side of the pond you are :P however if you look up the prices of the new coffee lake chips, you will see ryzen isn't overly expensive in a comparative sense, obviously your budget will vary :)

UPDATE: I FOUND A RYZEN 3 1300X ON EBAY FOR £80 AND IMPULSE BOUGHT IT. SELLING EVERYTHING I OWN REAL QUICK FOR A NEW MOBO AND RAM

23 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

1. There wont be another FX chip released by AMD, the AM3+ socket is dead and it will not perform as good as the more mainstream ryzen processors from AMD.
  2. you could look into the X58 platform and buy an older Xeon such as an X5650. But, I'd go for a ryzen 3 1200 since they are at that price point of $110. The performance boost by going with a more mainstream platform is easily noticeable and any ryzen chip will outperform the last gen FX series chip.
6 minutes ago, coolcommando54 said:

UPDATE: I FOUND A RYZEN 3 1300X ON EBAY FOR £80 AND IMPULSE BOUGHT IT. SELLING EVERYTHING I OWN REAL QUICK FOR A NEW MOBO AND RAM

The R3 1300X is definitely a good choice and there is room for upgradability on the AM4 platform since its supported until 2020. You can easily overclock it to a solid 4.0GHz with your current cooler. Keep you current cooler (cooler master hyper 212 evo), get the AM4 mounting hardware for the cooler, get a good B350 motherboard, such as an Asus B350 plus or ASrock AB350M pro 4 (ASrock and Asus are good brands+ gigabyte), get some good RAM (8GB DDR4 2400MHz is the minimum I'd go for ryzen, you can easily overclock it to 2666MHz or higher). Keep your current hardware and sell your current motherboard.  

16 hours ago, coolcommando54 said:

Congratz. Welcome to the future.

AM3 platform is dead. No more new chip in the future. No NVME, usb 3.1 or ddr4 support.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w