So I'm designing a build for my friend who doesn't really have a budget but has no idea what to get. To prevent him falling into the trap of a manufacturer ripping him off, I;m designing a build. But I want to know. Using this, can a GPU run off 0.25 of a PCIE lane?

I dislike simultaneous releases

There's no such thing as 0.25 of a lane.  You can only ever have 1 lane, that's the minimum.  Of course if you add PLX chips you can have more lanes provided than are actually fed through so I get what you mean about 0.25 lanes worth of bandwidth, and yes, that should be fine since mining doesn't really use bandwidth.

-also moved to mining subforum-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There's no such thing as 0.25 of a lane.  You can only ever have 1 lane, that's the minimum.  Of course if you add PLX chips you can have more lanes provided than are actually fed through so I get what you mean about 0.25 lanes worth of bandwidth, and yes, that should be fine since mining doesn't really use bandwidth.

So what does this adapter do then? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ROKOO-Expansion-Express-Switch-Multiplier/dp/B075DD6LX2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512408427&sr=1-3&keywords=pcie+x1+to+x16

I dislike simultaneous releases

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Think he means 1/4 of a x16 lane. So x4 in this case.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, Cajmo said:

It appears to give 4 x16 slots fed by a single 1x slot, so each would have 0.25 lane worth of bandwidth, but electrically, they're at least 1 lane each, if not more (I can't really tell by the picture)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Cajmo said:

to be direct (hopefully you will get what I'm saying)..  it will extend an 1x slot into 4x 16 slots.   Anything which needs high bandwidth should not be run on this.  Please do not confuse high GPU usage with high bandwidth.