Cyborg G.L.I.D.E. 7 Compatability Issues with R.A.T. 7

JakeCowton

(This a copy and paste from my blog so sorry for dumbing down some of the things but my point still stands)

So a while back I bought a Mad Catz Cyborg G.L.I.D.E. 7 gaming surface (fancy name for a mouse pad) to use with my Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse. Specifically, I bought the one in the picture below. This turned out to be quite a mistake.

Though the GLIDE 7 claims to be "optimized for laser sensors" I had occasions where, when using the surface, the cursor would move when I wasn't even touching the mouse and when I used the mouse without the surface, everything was fine.  When I contacted Mad Catz about this issue, I received the following email:

glide7.png The Cyborg G.L.I.D.E. 7 gaming surface I purchased

Dear Jake,

Thank you for contacting Mad Catz Technical Support.

In regards to your issue, please see the possible explanation below:

The twin-eye laser used in R.A.T. mice operates in the infrared (IR) spectrum and works better with surfaces that are bright and reflective in the band of light in which the mouse operates. Because of the different coatings which can be applied to gaming surfaces and the different inks/dyes/materials used, it's possible to have a mat which is black, but 'bright' as far as the mouse's laser sensor is concerned. Equally, it's possible to have a mat which is white but 'dim' as far as the laser is concerned, which would result in bad tracking. Also, degradation in performance could happen on a surface you frequently use; with long-term use your surface will lose its shine in the IR spectrum.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

[Persons name]

Technical/Customer Support Rep

At the time, I was extremely happy to receive a reply that explained in full why my problem could be happening, I was overjoyed to not be treat like the idiot most companies see their consumers as. So in this regard, I was satisfied, and because of that, I let the issue go and forgot about it.

Then a couple months later, I'm cleaning out my mail box and I see the email and re-read it and think to myself, "wait, this doesn't fly with me at all."

This was a brand new surface, so it wouldn't have lost it's shine or anything like that at all, so why does the GLIDE 7 not work 100% with the RAT 7???

It seems crazy that this happens because I love everything from the company, especially the RAT7.

Has anybody else had the same problem with the same or similar products? or does anybody know whats going on?

the RAT 7 has an ass sensor. ive had one for a year. tried all sorts of surfaces and everything. tbh its just a bad mouse. once ive switched to my g600s i havent had an issue although its only been a few weeks since i got it

the RAT 7 has an ass sensor. ive had one for a year. tried all sorts of surfaces and everything. tbh its just a bad mouse. once ive switched to my g600s i havent had an issue although its only been a few weeks since i got it

Thing is, I only EVER have problems with the RAT when I use it with that surface. I'm now using it on a white table and there's no problems...asides from the fact I want the smoothness of a surface...

I have no idea what you are talking about, my RAT7 works perfectly on my QcK and it was find on my old no-name mousepad also. 

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Thing is, I only EVER have problems with the RAT when I use it with that surface. I'm now using it on a white table and there's no problems...asides from the fact I want the smoothness of a surface...

trust me its just the mouse being bad. i thoughtthat the table was good too so i used it for a month and eventually i got the same issues. just get a actual good mouse next time. tbh all of cyborgs products are pretty bad. sadly i found this out after i bought my rat 7

How should I put it? Cyborg stuff, hmm, are terrible? Money thrown out the window. 

I have no idea what you are talking about, my RAT7 works perfectly on my QcK and it was find on my old no-name mousepad also. 

yea ok maybe not 100% of them are ass. how long have u had yours?

yea ok maybe not 100% of them are ass. how long have u had yours?

almost since release.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

almost since release.

ok like i said maybe not all of them really suck but quite of bit of them do.

fyi i was using a qck as well

ok like i said maybe not all of them really suck but quite of bit of them do.

fyi i was using a qck as well

Maybe you have a defective one, don't say they straight out suck when they really don't, just yours does.

Yep my RAT7 sensor is rubbish.

BUT

I can take advantage of it's rubbish sensor. When I leave my room for a while, my screens go to sleep when nothing is happening after a while.

When I walk back in the room, the sensor picks the slightest vibrations from me walking, and that moves the cursor which makes the screens turn back on.

So it looks pretty awesome that my screens turn on when I walk into my room.

But I can't keep the cursor still when there is music playing through my speakers at a moderately low noise. Actually sometimes when there's no vibrations happening that the cursor decides to dance.

Things like that annoy me.

The only reason I'm still using it is because of the thumb wheel, which I have decided I can't live without. I use it to scroll between browser tabs. And I also used it to spam clicks on cookie clicker.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Maybe you have a defective one, don't say they straight out suck when they really don't, just yours does.

there are tons of people that have the same issues i didi wouldnt hate on a product if mine was the only one that didnt work. its wuite common

Same here, I've had the RAT 7 and the v5 keyboard since roughly the release dates and they've been brillaint...except for this

Yep my RAT7 sensor is 

I can take advantage of it's rubbish sensor. When I leave my room for a while, my screens go to sleep when nothing is happening after a while.

When I walk back in the room, the sensor picks the slightest vibrations from me walking, and that moves the cursor which makes the screens turn back on.

So it looks pretty awesome that my screens turn on when I walk into my room.

That happens to me also, LOVE IT!!

there are tons of people that have the same issues i didi wouldnt hate on a product if mine was the only one that didnt work. its wuite common

Still, don't come right out and say it sucks.

That happens to me also, LOVE IT!!

Still, don't come right out and say it sucks.

but for a $100 mice it really does. there are $40 mice that track amazingly but cyborg cant make one that does for $100?

ofc this is my opinion but i have real reasons.

Same here, I've had the RAT 7 and the v5 keyboard since roughly the release dates and they've been brillaint...except for this

im guessing you haven tried mechanical keyboards yet?

but for a $100 mice it really does. there are $40 mice that track amazingly but cyborg cant make one that does for $100?

ofc this is my opinion but i have real reasons.

im guessing you haven tried mechanical keyboards yet?

It IS your opinion..

But is there a mouse that is as customizable as a RAT? Sure there is that Razer one but that is even more expensive.

It IS your opinion..

But is there a mouse that is as customizable as a RAT? Sure there is that Razer one but that is even more expensive.

yea i do miss that part a bit in reality that mouse could never be as big as i needed it ( only knew that after i switched)

i know ur trying to defend your purchase (its human nature) but it is a bad one. this is coming from a guy thats tried a working rat 7 as well. and tried various mice. im not being biased in any way

yea i do miss that part a bit in reality that mouse could never be as big as i needed it ( only knew that after i switched)

i know ur trying to defend your purchase (its human nature) but it is a bad one. this is coming from a guy thats tried a working rat 7 as well. and tried various mice. im not being biased in any way

Sigh, I am not defending anything, all I am trying to say is that you are saying that it sucks off of one purchase.

You bought it, you think it is a bad product, fine, go buy a new/different one and get it over with.

No need to tell everyone it sucks.

Sigh, I am not defending anything, all I am trying to say is that you are saying that it sucks off of one purchase.

You bought it, you think it is a bad product, fine, go buy a new/different one and get it over with.

No need to tell everyone it sucks.

if u could read u would see that ive tried ones that fully worked and compared them to other mice.

i used one for a year and made the switch. 

u really need to read properly. i said b4 that i already did switch. i gave the RAT7 a very generous chance had 2 of them tried 4 of them and even when it worked well it was noticeably inferior to other mice in terms of tracking which is kind of the main reason people buy mice

if u could read u would see that ive tried ones that fully worked and compared them to other mice.

i used one for a year and made the switch. 

u really need to read properly. i said b4 that i already did switch. i gave the RAT7 a very generous chance had 2 of them tried 4 of them and even when it worked well it was noticeably inferior to other mice in terms of tracking which is kind of the main reason people buy mice

You need to learn to just give up, no need to start insulting.

You need to learn to just give up, no need to start insulting.

if saying you need to read properly is an insult. then u are going to have a really hard time in life

Ive never had any issues at all with my rat 7, apart from the metal hex screw thing is rusting.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

its mad catz, what do you expect. buncha crap gimmicky products

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

OK similar setup here, so question to you.

Do you have speakers on your desk? Or have speakers near by your desk very loud? Especially high bass.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

there will always be haters. I'm still on my RAT7 (very early model from when it released) and can't find anything worth replacing it with. Even bought a few of the popular ones these days - tried them back to back, and just returned them because they felt practically the same, without the features of the RAT7

but yes, the sensor is very picky/sensitive compared to others. I'm having the best success with a CM Storm Control-RX mousepad