i9 7900X or AMD 1950X - CAD, Simulation, Rendering, Basic Machine Learning

Go to solution Solved by SoRobby,
31 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

also take a look a pugets case study on just this sort of build

Not a bad idea, yeah most of the applications I use (from their results/data) display that single core clock speed is better. 

or you COULD wait untill

august for the 36 core lol 

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

ehrm thread:$

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

@done12many2 Thank's for the help and providing your insight! I will defiantly be going the i9 route! 

I sounds like it comes down to where each CPU's performance per application converges with overclock + core count. Since overclock and increased cores increase thermal issues resulting in lower overclock capabilities. 

So you would recommend the 7900X over a higher core i9? Purely due to the thermal issues that are present with the higher core counts and increase in cost?

Thanks again for the help! Having an older computer has greatly limited my ability in research and work... Can't wait to upgrade! 

Just now, SoRobby said:

@done12many2 Thank's for the help and providing your insight! I will defiantly be going the i9 route! 

I sounds like it comes down to where each CPU's performance per application converges with overclock + core count. Since overclock and increased cores increase thermal issues resulting in lower overclock capabilities. 

So you would recommend the 7900X over a higher core i9? Purely due to the thermal issues that are present with the higher core counts and increase in cost?

Thanks again for the help! Having an older computer has greatly limited my ability in research and work... Can't wait to upgrade! 

On average, you are going to be able to get higher clocks out of a 7900x than any of the higher core counts chips.  If you find that more of your applications require a mix of single and multi-threaded performance, I'd definitely do the 7900x.   If you feel like the bulk of your applications are multi-threaded, which it doesn't look to be so, then I'd go with the 7920x or higher.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

On average, you are going to be able to get higher clocks out of a 7900x than any of the higher core counts chips.  If you find that more of your applications require a mix of single and multi-threaded performance, I'd definitely do the 7900x.   If you feel like the bulk of your applications are multi-threaded, which it doesn't look to be so, then I'd go with the 7920x or higher.  

I do a decent amount of high fidelity simulation work, but I'd say I spend most of my time in CAD or similar programs so I'll be purchasing an i9 7900X!

Thanks for help and insight everyone provided! 

31 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

Not a bad idea, yeah most of the applications I use (from their results/data) display that single core clock speed is better.