i7 6700 running hot, suggestions?

So I just started folding@home and decided to check my CPU temps. With 4 threads utilized in folding, the max temp on the CPU is about 80 degrees Celsius. I have the Intel stock cooler. Is this normal? Should I upgrade my cooling, maybe an AIO water cooler? Thanks!

System:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700

Mobo: Asus Z170

GPU: GTX 1080

RAM: 8GB(1x8) Corsair Vengeance

PSU: EVGA Supernova 550W

HDD: 1TB WD Blue

SSD: 240gb Samsung and 240 GB Kingston

Case: Cooler Master HAF X

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

Okay, would that handle some light overclocking?

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

So I just started folding@home and decided to check my CPU temps. With 4 threads utilized in folding, the max temp on the CPU is about 80 degrees Celsius. I have the Intel stock cooler. Is this normal? Should I upgrade my cooling, maybe an AIO water cooler? Thanks!

For that system with a stock cooler I'd say it's normal however no need to get an aio just get something like a cryorig h7 and you'd be fine

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Okay, thanks!

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Computers_And_Tech_Is_Cool said:

Okay, would that handle some light overclocking?

You can't overclock so it's a mute point, however you could get away with some light ocing with something like an h7

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

You can't overclock so it's a mute point, however you could get away with some light ocing with something like an h7

Okay, I'll look into an H7

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Actually you shouldn't be Folding with CPU only with GPU, the CPU Folding results are negligible once compared with the GPU results.

I have a back up i7 6700 on stock cooler, air flow is great and I never saw it break past 72Cº on max load... might be time for you to apply a new thermal paste at least but throwing a 212 Evo on it would be very ideal... noise wise for sure xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Actually you shouldn't be Folding with CPU only with GPU, the CPU Folding results are negligible once compared with the GPU results.

I have a back up i7 6700 on stock cooler, air flow is great and I never saw it break past 72Cº on max load... might be time for you to apply a new thermal paste at least but throwing a 212 Evo on it would be very ideal... noise wise for sure xD

Sounds good. I was noticing that the 1070 was doing 95% of the work, I just figured that the CPU might contribute a bit

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

One last somewhat unrelated thing, I have a gtx950 sitting around, could I just put it in there and use it for extra folding power?

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

• 2 years later...

Hi, everybody. Although I am a subscriber of LTT on Youtube, this is my 1st post here. The problem is with my Boss's Son's PC. Originally it was a HP 400 G3 (Intel Core i7 6700, 4GB DDR4, 1TB HDD). For gaming purpose (although its a business PC) he upgraded it with 8GB x 2 DDR4 3200 bus GEIL RGB Ram + 256GG Samsung  SSD + Galax Nvidia Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB. Now that motherboard died soon. After that I came and changed the Casing to a GAMDIAS Mini Tower, MB to Gigabyte G1. Sniper B7, PSU to 500W Thermaltake Lite (at that time this was the only one available in market), added 3 more 120mm cooling fans but the CPU cooler remained the OEM one (shortage od CPU coolers). That setup lasted almost five months, after that it shuts down rapidly. So again changed the MOBO to Gigabyte B150-GD3 (I can't remember the excact model but its a Gigabyte B150), changed the ram to GSkill Ripjaws V 2400 bus 16GB single module, Changed the OEM HDD to Toshiba X300 4TB High Performance drive, replaced the OEM cooling to Thermaltake Performer C Liquid cooler. This now runs good until a heavy game runs for more than 1 hour the CPU shuts down. What shall I do ??

@Prince Tanbir  Welcome to the forum! This thread is fairly old, and it's not directly related to your problem. You should start a new thread, that way more people see your problem and can help! I do have a couple tips, but I still reccomend starting a new thread!

If it's running hot, it might be because fans are in the wrong direction, or maybe something to do with the way a cooler is installed. You should check the temperature using software like Open Hardware Monitor. If anything is over 80°C, you should probably change something about the cooling, but I doubt heat is the biggest issue. If anything is over 90°C or so, definitely look into the cooling.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

@Prince Tanbir  Welcome to the forum! This thread is fairly old, and it's not directly related to your problem. You should start a new thread, that way more people see your problem and can help! I do have a couple tips, but I still reccomend starting a new thread!

If it's running hot, it might be because fans are in the wrong direction, or maybe something to do with the way a cooler is installed. You should check the temperature using software like Open Hardware Monitor. If anything is over 80°C, you should probably change something about the cooling, but I doubt heat is the biggest issue. If anything is over 90°C or so, definitely look into the cooling.

With oem cooler it was always 55-60 C. With the liquid cooling it is 35-40C normally. But goes to 75++ running games and shuts down. I also changed the PSU to Thermaltake 630W Smart. But same as before. Main problem while gaming. Regarding fans, 2x120mm intake, 2x120mm exhaust. Also the liquid cooler is in push-pull configuration.

28 minutes ago, Prince Tanbir said:

With oem cooler it was always 55-60 C. With the liquid cooling it is 35-40C normally. But goes to 75++ running games and shuts down. I also changed the PSU to Thermaltake 630W Smart. But same as before. Main problem while gaming. Regarding fans, 2x120mm intake, 2x120mm exhaust. Also the liquid cooler is in push-pull configuration.

I'm not sure I can help with this. Make a new thread, there are a lot of people much more knowledgeable than myself on here!

I'd make a thread in this section of the forum: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/46-troubleshooting/

Also, it's probably a good idea to read through this before posting there.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler