New build - disappointing fps

Hi.

I just put a new system together, but notice very little difference between that, and my old system. In benchmarks for Ghost recon Wildlands, my fps was actually lower than before.

Temperatures are pretty good, not going much over 50C under load, so it's not a thermal throttle.

Old system:

AMD FX 8350 8 core

24gb DDR 3 ram

GTX 1080

New system

i5 8400 coffee lake

16 GB DDR 4 ram

GTX 1080

Gigabytle Aorus Gaming 5 motherboard Z370

My new system is pretty close to the system in this video with a 1070 instead of a 1080, and it's getting around double what i'm getting.

Ideas?

Thanks

new 4k ultra GR.jpg

old 4k ultra GR.jpg

Bad Drivers? Faulty video card? Does it have a warranty? Try contacting support? Maybe its the game? Is it thermal throttling?

Check for thermal throttle by watching temps while under load. It should not be more than 80 degrees Celsius. Are its fans even spinning?

Computers r fun

Use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers then install the latest ones, or do a fresh installation of windows if you haven't. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

What version of Windows are you running? I noticed an improvement upgrading from anniversary to creators. 

If the systems new, I'd just do a clean install of windows anyway. Whilst you can switch hardware, it causes a multitude of problems later on. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

The video you linked was 1080p benchmarks, you're running the game on ULTRA at 4K, with a 1080Ti I can't run Ultra at 1440p and have to turn down some settings to very high to stay above 60FPS. Turn down the settings or the resolution, there's else wrong.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

its at 4k ultra. In 4k the gpu is the bottlenck and the cpu is barely used which is why since you only upgraded the cpu you arent getting much of a performance boost. At 1080 or 1440 youd do much better with the new system.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

30 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

its at 4k ultra. In 4k the gpu is the bottlenck and the cpu is barely used which is why since you only upgraded the cpu you arent getting much of a performance boost. At 1080 or 1440 youd do much better with the new system.

There's still something wrong. Maybe not much, but take a look at the screenshots. 

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

I'm on windows 10 Pro.

I moved my boot SSD from the old system to the new, but I did a windows reset once it was in the new system. Fresh driver installs for everything.

The video card is running driver 388.31

I checked the thermals, and both the CPU and GPU are around 50 degrees C. No where near overheating.

Yes, the video linked was 1080p benchmarks, but he was getting around 119 fps on a GTX 1070, where as I get 59 fps. on a 1080 in Rise of the tomb raider, with the same settings. I think I should be getting double what I'm getting, in both games.

14 hours ago, warlock257 said:

I'm on windows 10 Pro.

I moved my boot SSD from the old system to the new, but I did a windows reset once it was in the new system. Fresh driver installs for everything.

The video card is running driver 388.31

I checked the thermals, and both the CPU and GPU are around 50 degrees C. No where near overheating.

Yes, the video linked was 1080p benchmarks, but he was getting around 119 fps on a GTX 1070, where as I get 59 fps. on a 1080 in Rise of the tomb raider, with the same settings. I think I should be getting double what I'm getting, in both games.

The latest drivers version for your card is 388.43. Might not make a difference, but try the upgrade anyway.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/127265/en-us

Those numbers seem fair for 4k at Ultra. Try 1080 or 1440 and I'm sure your performance will be fine. It's likely a GPU throttle. As for why your old system is showing better numbers, its hard to tell without multiple benchamarks between the two systems. Some benchmarks utlize memory more than others, some utilize more/fewer cores, and some are only on the GPU.

@michelin_boi=much moto, very wow
need best cpu cooling? add 2 stroke oil (but no, really don't)
5 things newegg doesn't want you to know:

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

21 hours ago, michelin_boi said:

Those numbers seem fair for 4k at Ultra. Try 1080 or 1440 and I'm sure your performance will be fine. It's likely a GPU throttle. As for why your old system is showing better numbers, its hard to tell without multiple benchamarks between the two systems. Some benchmarks utlize memory more than others, some utilize more/fewer cores, and some are only on the GPU.

Yeah, I can always lower the settings to improve performance. I just want to make sure I'm getting the most out of my hardware. I did just drop almost $1000 on upgrades, I would hope there would be at least some improvement. I have a hard time believing that upgrading from a 5 year old CPU, to a brand new one makes no difference at all.

I tell this to a lot of my friends who say the same thing.

TLDR: GPU > CPU for gaming most of the time.

For a long time I was running an old AMD phenom series quad core processor and getting fantastic gaming results.

CPU upgrades have much less impact on gaming benchmarks than most people relize compared to a GPU upgrade.The building market takes advantage of this by marketing expensive CPU's to gamers uneccessarily. The benefit from upgrading you processor is seen in other places, like multitasking, video and effects rendering, streaming content, and other programs that require intense levels of CPU saturation. More cores is better for multitasking, andhigher clock speeds can help make calculations faster in a thread, but if you're running a midgrade CPU from the last 5 years you're likely fine for gaming alone.

Good luck, enjoy your 1080! (Its a good card.)

@michelin_boi=much moto, very wow
need best cpu cooling? add 2 stroke oil (but no, really don't)
5 things newegg doesn't want you to know:

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

3 hours ago, michelin_boi said:

I tell this to a lot of my friends who say the same thing.

TLDR: GPU > CPU for gaming most of the time.

For a long time I was running an old AMD phenom series quad core processor and getting fantastic gaming results.

CPU upgrades have much less impact on gaming benchmarks than most people relize compared to a GPU upgrade.The building market takes advantage of this by marketing expensive CPU's to gamers uneccessarily. The benefit from upgrading you processor is seen in other places, like multitasking, video and effects rendering, streaming content, and other programs that require intense levels of CPU saturation. More cores is better for multitasking, andhigher clock speeds can help make calculations faster in a thread, but if you're running a midgrade CPU from the last 5 years you're likely fine for gaming alone.

Good luck, enjoy your 1080! (Its a good card.)

Ok. I guess that's just how it is. I knew that GPU was more important that CPU for games, but I guess it's even more than I thought.

Kind of wish I went for a high refresh rate monitor instead of the 4K one, now.

At least my new rig is all cool and glow-ey. haha.

Thanks.