USB attack protection

my friend is wanting to install something on my laptop so he can control it from his phone, i dont think this is possible when its locked but im not sure, i think he is using a rubbyducky, how can i protect against this, The laptop is from my work and i dont want to get it damaged or get in a trouble with my compagny?

Then simply don't let him touch your laptop. This isn't rocket science.....  without hardware access, the majority of attacks can't be done.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Keep the laptop with you, don't let him use it, and tell him to f off?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

1 minute ago, thegreengamers said:

Keep the laptop with you, don't let him use it, and tell him to f off?

this ! a dozen times over !

12 minutes ago, Callum Stringer said:

my friend is wanting to install something on my laptop so he can control it from his phone, i dont think this is possible when its locked but im not sure, i think he is using a rubbyducky, how can i protect against this, The laptop is from my work and i dont want to get it damaged or get in a trouble with my compagny?

I'd be surprised if he can install anything without being logged into your laptop (unless  he's the hackerman lol). There is software out there which lets you used a phone as a keyboard and mouse, I'd imagine its something like that.

Tell him to leave your laptop alone, and don't leave it logged in with him.

Remind him of the legal consequences of tampering with corporate property. 

Tell him to not be a douchebag and respect your stuff. Not much of a friend if he wont just listen. Especially if he is attempting to use a rubber ducky. I would honest threaten to contact the authorities if he tried anything. Every thing plugged in is recorded in event viewer FYI

Also depending on your work or what you have access to, remote control from not approved application is a lot of the time again policy and will get you fired or a possible lawsuit. 

a rubberducky is quite hard to counter.

the cheapest way to prevent damage from a ducky is to keep your laptop away from him, or Win+L every time you're not using it or leaving it somewhere for any amount of time.

Rubber Duckys can't do any harm when windows is locked, so a long as you're there checking if he tampers with the laptop, you're safe.

Also, why the heck are you still friends with a skiddie? Buying a rubber ducky just to be a douchebag is more like a "1337 h4x0r" than a serious pentester. I can't stand people who do this stuff.

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

On 12/1/2017 at 4:09 PM, NelizMastr said:

Then simply don't let him touch your laptop. This isn't rocket science.....  without hardware access, the majority of attacks can't be done.

Can he get access when the laptop is locked ?

17 hours ago, Callum Stringer said:

Can he get access when the laptop is locked ?

Nope. unless he knows your password. But you're asking the wrong questions. Just keep him away from the laptop. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro